Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,212 times

Advertisements

It really depends on the apartment manager. Most will require a co-signer if your credit is new or you don't qualify income wise (usually your monthly income has to be 3 times the amount of rent) when you rent from an individual those types of requirements are often overlooked. But if you find yourself in a jam you may have to start out at a hotel that rents by the week or month. The good thing about that is the utilities are included and most come with a small kitchenette. Something to consider if you have to move there and have yet to find a place. On a side note Banks in the US can be trusted and I suggest you use it instead of carrying a lot of cash. It helps protect you until you get used to currency and the area you're in. Just to be safe. If you purchase furniture from an individual they may have a pickup where they can deliver it for a small fee to cover gas. A majority of furniture companies have delivery (some free, some charge like $50) but if you have a drivers license and major credit card you can also rent a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massanu View Post
DM559 > Thank you very much for your message

This is a great coincidence that you know France. Yes the VISA is from my future company.

I spent a lot of time seeking good apartments place in Eugene, and I think I will choose a place like Northwood apartments or Somerset Villas

Here is the TOP 5 rated Eugene Apartments for Rent - Eugene Apartments Reviews and Ratings

My preocupations are :

- Will they accept me as I do not have a credit history ?
- I was thinking to use a bike but I will need a car to buy all the stuff for the apartment as they are not furnished.
- If I need a car it will be difficult to find one with no credit history so I will probably have to buy a crappy one (with all the risk)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I don't know if this is of interest to you or not - but did you know that Eugene has a French Immersion school? Our public schools are always encouraging parents and caring people from the community to volunteer at the schools. I bet Charlemagne would love to have a native French person and native speaker of the language visit their school to enrich the immersion experience. Charlemagne at Fox Hollow Elementary School | École Immersion en Francais It might also be a way to make connections within the community - perhaps someone owns a nice apartment or small house they will rent to you, even without any American credit!

Good luck with your move. I hope you love Eugene, and Oregon, as much as our family does! À tout à l'heure!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 13,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massanu View Post
Hi all,

I have just found a job in Eugene, OR. I have already visited the US 3 times during holidays.
I am not a US Citizen so it will be my first job in United States

I have a bunch of questions for you guys :

- The job offer $70K annualy, is this a good salary for a single man in Eugene ?

- How much will be my Take Home income ?

- I seen that there is some unsecure place in Eugene, what neighbour can be good for a new comer like me ?
It's realy difficult to find out when you really don't know the state. The job is close to the University

It's a big adventure for me, so sorry for my english and I hope you will give me some good advices

thx
Welcome! I've lived in this area since 1977.
Ask your employer for your net pay after all the deductions and your share of the health insurance is deducted. You will be paying half the health insurance premium so if you are healthy, think about choosing the least expensive plan to start. Ask when it will go into effect and when you can change your options if you wish more coverage., Were you required to get a physical exam?

As an employee of the University you have allot of resources available to you. Use them.

Renter Rights & Responsibilities

Ask everyone you meet for leads on housing. The best places are not advertised and rent quickly.

Southeast, Eugene, Oregon Zip Code Boundary Map (OR)
I think you will be happiest in the following neighborhoods: Fairmont neighborhood aka "pill hill" (west of Hendricks Park in the east hills) Amazon neighborhood (east of Hilyard street and south of 24th, its flat, has mostly small homes and the people who live there love university life and wouldn't live any place else). South East neighborhood south of 30th avenue, and east of Hilyard street mostly flat. less expensive rentals than than Amazon, mostly small houses and duplexes. One or two small apartment buildings. .) Good bus service up and down Hilyard street . Willamette street runs north and south and divides the SE part of town from the SW. Good shopping area on Willamette from 29th north to 18th with a good selection of ethnic restaurants and shops. College Hill neighborhood (west of Willamette over the top and down to Jefferson street has mostly large homes on top , some with attached furnished rental apartments that the grad students grab. Smaller homes and duplexes are nearer Jefferson street. Those who live up there say they aren't bothered by undesirables). Crest Drive area the north east part close to Willamette street has some duplexes.

Here are some web sites to acquaint you with the area and your new life here.

bus service: Routes, Schedules, Maps.

Rental laws. http://uodos.uoregon.edu/SupportandE...09/Default.asp

You will need enough money to pay first and last months rent, cleaning deposit and a non refundable key deposit. Proof of employment Ask whoever handles your visa, what papers you should bring with you.... current drivers license, any other picture ID with you name on it.

Rental listing locations. ask how to check the rentals posted by landlords at both U of O and Lane Community College. Check the grad schools rental boards (if they still have them) for those small apartments within a large owner occupied homes. They are usually fully furnished and you can use the household clothes washer and dryer.

You can always negotiate with a landlord to get the yard mowed periodically and you can hire someone to clean your house or apartment if you don't want to.

Emerald Media | University of Oregon news, sports and entertainment. (as of 12-29, you probably won't want those large apartment complexes if they have students in them).
craigslist: eugene classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events is your best source. Consider placing an ad every few days or so .
Homes For Rent in Eugene, Oregon 97401, United States | Homes Marketplace

To rent furniture. Rent to Own Furniture, Appliances, Computers and Electronics | RentACenter.com

Driving in Oregon . Oregon DMV Driver & ID Information

Check out this place If you are looking for efficiency and can't afford a car. New Furnished Apt. 3 Blocks From UO * Utilities Paid * Modern Style **

Regarding safety. live in the hills, not the flat areas near down town. Downtown is heavily policed but if homeless people and/or druggies bother you, don't go downtown and stay out of the drug belt. (Whitaker neighborhood and train song neighborhood - the area next to whitaker between highway 99 and the railroad tracks)

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM

27 posts, read 70,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon raised View Post
Welcome! I've lived in this area since 1977.
Ask your employer for your net pay after all the deductions and your share of the health insurance is deducted. You will be paying half the health insurance premium so if you are healthy, think about choosing the least expensive plan to start. Ask when it will go into effect and when you can change your options if you wish more coverage., Were you required to get a physical exam?

As an employee of the University you have allot of resources available to you. Use them.

Renter Rights & Responsibilities

Ask everyone you meet for leads on housing. The best places are not advertised and rent quickly.

Southeast, Eugene, Oregon Zip Code Boundary Map (OR)
I think you will be happiest in the following neighborhoods: Fairmont neighborhood aka "pill hill" (west of Hendricks Park in the east hills) Amazon neighborhood (east of Hilyard street and south of 24th, its flat, has mostly small homes and the people who live there love university life and wouldn't live any place else). South East neighborhood south of 30th avenue, and east of Hilyard street mostly flat. less expensive rentals than than Amazon, mostly small houses and duplexes. One or two small apartment buildings. .) Good bus service up and down Hilyard street . Willamette street runs north and south and divides the SE part of town from the SW. Good shopping area on Willamette from 29th north to 18th with a good selection of ethnic restaurants and shops. College Hill neighborhood (west of Willamette over the top and down to Jefferson street has mostly large homes on top , some with attached furnished rental apartments that the grad students grab. Smaller homes and duplexes are nearer Jefferson street. Those who live up there say they aren't bothered by undesirables). Crest Drive area the north east part close to Willamette street has some duplexes.

Here are some web sites to acquaint you with the area and your new life here.

bus service: Routes, Schedules, Maps.

Rental laws. http://uodos.uoregon.edu/SupportandE...09/Default.asp

You will need enough money to pay first and last months rent, cleaning deposit and a non refundable key deposit. Proof of employment Ask whoever handles your visa, what papers you should bring with you.... current drivers license, any other picture ID with you name on it.

Rental listing locations. ask how to check the rentals posted by landlords at both U of O and Lane Community College. Check the grad schools rental boards (if they still have them) for those small apartments within a large owner occupied homes. They are usually fully furnished and you can use the household clothes washer and dryer.

You can always negotiate with a landlord to get the yard mowed periodically and you can hire someone to clean your house or apartment if you don't want to.

Emerald Media | University of Oregon news, sports and entertainment. (as of 12-29, you probably won't want those large apartment complexes if they have students in them).
craigslist: eugene classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events is your best source. Consider placing an ad every few days or so .
Homes For Rent in Eugene, Oregon 97401, United States | Homes Marketplace

To rent furniture. Rent to Own Furniture, Appliances, Computers and Electronics | RentACenter.com

Driving in Oregon . Oregon DMV Driver & ID Information

Check out this place If you are looking for efficiency and can't afford a car. New Furnished Apt. 3 Blocks From UO * Utilities Paid * Modern Style **

Regarding safety. live in the hills, not the flat areas near down town. Downtown is heavily policed but if homeless people and/or druggies bother you, don't go downtown and stay out of the drug belt. (Whitaker neighborhood and train song neighborhood - the area next to whitaker between highway 99 and the railroad tracks)
Thank you for all these advices !
I am analyzing the living areas you mentioned in your message, actually I have just received my visa so I will probably be in Eugene within 2 weeks, time flies !

I hope Eugene will be a good place to work and live and that people are welcoming, I will do my best to be a good "Eugenist"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area