U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,058 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place to move with my preteen and teen kids and LOVe the weather, trees and nature of the northwest. Eugene seems a little too "open" (not sure that the right word)
I'd like to find a neighborhood where families still go to soccer games together, parents still volunteer at the schools and pot smoking and nudity are not the best thing going . I want the arts/theater and shopping too though. I could be 30 minutes from major shopping like Costco, Home depot etc. I dont want to be thumped by Bible thumpers, but a little religion is ok.
Might Cottage Grove fit my bill?
Any neighborhoods in Eugene that might?

Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

231 posts, read 739,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
I am looking for a place to move with my preteen and teen kids and LOVe the weather, trees and nature of the northwest. Eugene seems a little too "open" (not sure that the right word)
I'd like to find a neighborhood where families still go to soccer games together, parents still volunteer at the schools and pot smoking and nudity are not the best thing going . I want the arts/theater and shopping too though. I could be 30 minutes from major shopping like Costco, Home depot etc. I dont want to be thumped by Bible thumpers, but a little religion is ok.

Thanks for any info.
Your question seems almost troll-like in it's ridiculousness, but I will do my best to answer you seriously:

Just about every single neighborhood in all of Eugene will meet your needs.

By the way, I am sitting naked at my keyboard, smoking pot while I type this response...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,671,437 times
Hope you put a towel over your chair................

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM

27,697 posts, read 37,436,455 times
Corvallis is a slight bit more conservative than Eugene, because the college is agricultural and not liberal arts. But I think that most cities large enough to have a Costco and some culture are going to have some pot smokers.

Not so much nudity in Oregon, because it's kinda cold to be walking around with no clothes.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,452,096 times
Maybe you should be looking at Grants Pass or Roseburg?

Less nudity and less pot smoking, but more meth use.

Honestly though, if those are your primary concerns, it's not like it's all over the place and in the open all the time.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,828,170 times
So far everyplace you mentioned are some of the heaviest Pot user enclaves. Eugene, Roseburg, Cottage Grove, Grants Pass, and Corvallis.

Nudity, while it's not all that common, is legal.

Last edited by Steve Pickering; 12-19-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,911,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
I'd like to find a neighborhood where families still go to soccer games together, parents still volunteer at the schools and pot smoking and nudity are not the best thing going . I want the arts/theater and shopping too though. I could be 30 minutes from major shopping like Costco, Home depot etc. I don't want to be thumped by Bible thumpers, but a little religion is ok.

Thanks for any info.

Since you cannot ever completely control the actions of other people I don't know where you should live. But when you choose areas that are known for these things being tolerated by others, even those who themselves do not indulge in them, you appear to be deliberately looking for problems.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM

53 posts, read 254,265 times
Ferry St Bridge area of Eugene, Thurston area of Springfield.......

Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,911,470 times
Seriously, considering the fact that Washington state has now made it legal, can Oregon be far behind? And seeing that it is pretty much already in the area the OP is thinking about, just more covert, it really doesn't make sense that s/he would choose Oregon as a place to relocate.

If a place has a greater chance to become what you don't want, I think it's better to look someplace else rather than expect it to conform to your expectations. Either that, or accept it for what it is.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 PM

15,296 posts, read 15,335,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
So far everyplace you mentioned are some of the heaviest Pot user enclaves. Eugene, Roseburg, Cottage Grove, Grants Pass, and Corvallis.

Nudity, while it's not all that common, is legal.
None of my friends in Roseburg smoke pot. It's around, but the people I associate with are employed, professionals, in law enforcement, real farmers, and most of them have had to pass at least one whiz quiz to qualify for their job. Some of them are subject to multiple drug tests.

Wherever you go, there are drunks and druggies. Dallas is particularly bad for substance abuse, not only pot smokers but tweakers, and the craziest of all, tweaker drunks.

As for nudity, public display of the genitals is illegal anywhere in Oregon unless you can justify it as a political free speech issue. Both men and women can go topless without penalty. Every time they try to make shirts mandatory somebody will state that the sight of a bare breast will twist the minds of impressionable children, and the general laughter brings the discussion to a halt. If it weren't for children, women wouldn't need breasts. We're mammals, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area