Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 PM

34 posts, read 156,109 times

Advertisements

I am seriously researching the Eugene area to move to to escape from the bitter cold of northern MN (we get about four weeks of -30F, not pleasant; OR/Eugene looks to have much milder winters!). Recently took early retirement, so employment is not an issue. I have looked at the weather graphs showing sunshine, humidity, temperature, etc here on City Data, but nothing is better than hearing the truth from those that live in an area. I am wondering just how bad the 'dismal' mist/cloudiness is, now much sunshine one sees if living in the area? Granted, I currently live in an area with lots of overcast and dark winter evenings, so I am not expecting anything like Arizona, just wondering if the area is like that Married With Children episode, you know, the one where the Bundies end up in a town cursed with 24/7/365 dark mist, lol.

Related-- what areas/cities just outside of Eugene would anybody recommend for living, if what I want to do is build a geodesic dome home (preferably off the grid-- solar, septic, wind, well) on maybe 3-10 acreas of land, but be close enough so I could drive maybe 5-10 miles into some nearby town (daily coffeeshop ritual for writing) and be close enough to Eugene to drive in for shopping, theater, culture, etc? No kids, so schools not an issue.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Randall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
i'm an hour south of there so i can't speak to that weather specifically.... but i hear it's better down here!

maybe the yurt company can give you some ideas on what you would like to build:

Pacific Yurts

Old 09-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
...maybe the yurt company can give you some ideas on what you would like to build]
I am already set on a dome, no yurts.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The one dome built in Lane county has been condemed.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
I am already set on a dome, no yurts.
i wasn't suggesting a yurt. i was suggesting they might know more about building alternative homes.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 AM

231 posts, read 778,847 times
Quote:
I am seriously researching the Eugene area to move to to escape from the bitter cold of northern MN (we get about four weeks of -30F, not pleasant; OR/Eugene looks to have much milder winters!). Recently took early retirement, so employment is not an issue. I have looked at the weather graphs showing sunshine, humidity, temperature, etc here on City Data, but nothing is better than hearing the truth from those that live in an area. I am wondering just how bad the 'dismal' mist/cloudiness is, now much sunshine one sees if living in the area? Granted, I currently live in an area with lots of overcast and dark winter evenings, so I am not expecting anything like Arizona, just wondering if the area is like that Married With Children episode, you know, the one where the Bundies end up in a town cursed with 24/7/365 dark mist, lol.
I wrote a daily weather log for one year a while back that can give you a more qualitative idea about the weather in Eugene: http://eugenified.com/reviews/eugene-oregon-weather/

Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 AM

298 posts, read 303,537 times
I used to live in Eugene/Santa Clara area for many yrs, native Oregonian. Summers are beautiful but you have a lot of rainy misty days in the other months and after Christmas we would get light snow and icicles on the eaves of the house. I really miss it. At the time there was a lot of land available and the Junction City area was nice and so was Corvallis. I think it is pretty cool you want to build an energy efficient home. Can you post pics of your project once you start your build? I really love Oregon and the Eugene area that I mentioned was really nice when we lived there.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Nice! I just scanned through your diary, wow. SOOOOoooo much milder than here in northern Minnesota. Especially WINTER. Jan/Feb here, think high temps of -20 to +20, think 2-4 weeks of -35 to -45 lows at night and highs in daytime of -10, then you get an idea of how bitter cold it is here and why i have had enough of this after 25 years here. We have SNOW in our mall parking lot until June, JUNE for crying out loud, and snow finally melts from yards about mid MAY. No way to live, trust me. We are the pit of the nation for cold, we get those arctic cold air masses that come down out of Cananda and chill our bones-- where you can toss a cup of hot coffee in the air and it lands on the ground as ice crystals, where you can use a banana as a hammer, where your car seat feels like concrete in a Fred Flintstone car.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM

231 posts, read 778,847 times
Quote:
We are the pit of the nation for cold, we get those arctic cold air masses that come down out of Cananda and chill our bones-- where you can toss a cup of hot coffee in the air and it lands on the ground as ice crystals, where you can use a banana as a hammer, where your car seat feels like concrete in a Fred Flintstone car.
On the bright side, you probably save tons of money not having to purchase hammers.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 65,551 times
I don't know if you've decided yet or not but let me tell you my impression of Eugene. I moved here two years ago after having said all my life I'd never move here because of the rain and gray days. (I 'had to'---- for personal health reasons.)

I was pleasantly surprised that the weather forecasts online didn't give the real picture. Many many of the days that forecast rain merely meant a very light drizzle; one that you would hardly need an umbrella for going from the car into a store. Sometimes, where I live, there isn't even a drizzle in my neighborhood but will be a few miles away.

Gray? Still too much for my personal and picky likes but 'overcast' or 'cloudy' often means the sun will peak through at various times during the day.

Snow? In two years one snowfall each year, maybe two, that throws the town into a 'panic' but you would laugh at it.

A 'rainstorm' is not anything like what you might get in MN in the summer. Thunder? Maybe two or three claps the entire year.

The Willamette Valley is very moderate in temperature. Not too hot and not too cold and although more 'days' of rain (drizzle) but 1/10th of an inch is considered rain. If you garden you can find many plants that will survive through the winter, stay green. Especially 'our' rhododendrons!

Don't let the longitude fool you. Eugene and lower MN cities aren't that far apart, longitudinally, but almost a different continent in terms of weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area