Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,904 times

Advertisements

Hi, my son (6) and I will be spending our summer in Eugene as a possible prelude to moving there subsequently. I am a lesbian, and specifically chose Eugene for its (repudately) tolerant attitude and large lesbian community.

However, there does not seem to be a gay/lesbian parenting group : if anyone here knows of one that I can contact, I'd appreciate the information.

On a totally different note, my son will be attending summer camp while we are there, preferably active & nature oriented. I have found a couple good camps with (unfortunately) short hours, and am looking for alternatives/complimentary camps. Are there any you would recommend (full day camps preferred). In particular, do you have any knowledge/opinion on the YMCA summer camps for kids?

Thank you

Flo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Have you checked with any non-parenting-oriented lesbian groups? There would likely by other parents who could help you find, or even start, a group like you're looking for. When I lived in San Francisco, the moms of one of my son's friends started one and kept it going for several years while the kids were little.

I assume you've checked this site out?

Eugene Lesbian Groups

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your input. I have scoured the various online groups (including the non parenting) but they are not very active (online) so have not had any luck getting feedback.

Lesbian parenting groups are but one aspect of my quest here :=)

If anyone has any feedback on summer camps (and notably the YMCA) I'd appreciate that. The pictures *look* great but that doesn't guarantee that the camps ARE good... I have found many sites about summer camps in Eugene, including the (very good) Eugene community page, but again, there are no "hands on" reviews of anything. I'd value personal experience/feedback.

Thank you

Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Why does it have to be GLBT? Why not just a parenting group? My granddaughter just joined one at LCC.

Eugene Family YMCA - Summer Camps

Best Eugene, Oregon Summer Camps. Compare, reviews & ratings.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanks Steve. What is LCC? I was just hoping that we could organize some play dates with other LGBT families, mostly for "exposure" as where we live our family is very much "out of norm". That's the only reason I was looking for an LGBT group ; but of course, play dates with other kids, regardless of family configuration, are always welcome.

I am in touch with the YMCA re/their camps.
Thanks very much for the link to the reviews - I had not found that.

Thank you

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
I had my daughter at a Summer camp called Camp Harlow. Camp Harlow
3850 County Farm Rd, Eugene, OR (541) 683-5416. She had an amazing time. They have full day and half day camps also week long overnight camps also. They have swimming, horseback riding, go carts, arts and crafts, etc.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
LCC - is Lane Community College

Here you go: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Directory | Virtual Library | Lane Community College

I wouldn't worry about being "out of the norm" in Eugene. If you are normal in Eugene, that makes you abnormal.

Camps:

We never tried the YMCA camps, but when my boys were much younger (they are teens now) they really loved the City of Eugene Recreation camps:

http://www.eugene-or.gov/index.aspx?NID=139

Those camps (City of Eugene Recreation) were really awesome... they would do things like take day trips to the coast, go skiing/snoboarding, river rafting, etc. Lots of fun things - the boys loved them. Our boys also did the Junior Lifeguard program at the pools, and our oldest loved it so much he went on to become a certified lifeguard as soon as he was 15. It's a great program.

We also tried these, too (my youngest son who is really into computers especially loved the Science Factory camps), and they were all fun:

http://www.sciencefactory.org/

http://www.nearbynature.org/

http://www.mountpisgaharboretum.com/

http://eraptors.org/

We never personally tried Camp Harlow, but we know people (both religious and non-religious families) who did send their kids to Camp Harlow and those kids absolutely loved it. It's a church-affiliated camp.

And if you can swing it, the Aquarium in Newport on the coast also has really fun summer camps for kids as well: http://aquarium.org/ and nearby is this: http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 03-11-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks very much for your help. I was able to find some great summer camps in Eugene and my son is very excited to be going!! Not so lucky in making contact with other parenting groups (lesbian and non) but hopefully that will work itself out once I get there.
I greatly look forward to our summer in Eugene,
Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Flo

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,207 times
If you are still planning to move to Eugene, let me know. I know of a LGBT parenting group that is in the process of forming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: