U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,840 times

Advertisements

Hello collective minds of City-Data,

I am a medical student from California in early 30's relocating to Eugene this summer to start my clinical rotations. I am partnered to a wonderful woman also in early 30's, also in healthcare, and we are actively trying to start a family and hope to stay in Eugene long-term. Although I have been to Eugene during my childhood, I don't know anything about neighborhoods and such, and wanted to get some advice before looking into housing options.

Here are some of the key features we are hoping for in the community we live in:

- LGBT friendly!
- Safe to walk/bike at night
- Peace and quiet (i.e. no high density of college parties or near major freeways)
- Possibly walk/bike distance to stores, coffee shops, library, post office, farmer's market, etc.

Are there any neighborhoods in particular within Eugene that we are more likely to find what we're looking for...?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM

5,997 posts, read 7,477,227 times
Are you planning to rent or buy? There are lots of nice areas. I lived near 28th & Chambers when I was there and liked it. Still very centrally located. I could walk to shops and restaurants in about 20 minutes. If you drive or bike it's even easier.

You are right about one thing. The farther away you get from campus, the quieter and safer it will be.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,051,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerkio View Post
- LGBT friendly!
I'm no native Oregonian, but this is my second time living in Eugene. I'd have to say that just about any area in Eugene is LGBT friendly. People in general have a "live and let live" attitude when it comes to sexual orientation.

Quote:
- Safe to walk/bike at night
This I think is totally relative to what you are used to. I have lived in California, but in a super nice area up the 80 between Sacto and Auburn, and it was so sweet and safe. Nothing ever happened out there (when we lived there) and we felt totally safe walking at night with the kids. I also at one point in my life lived in a really bad area of Dallas, TX where we had drunk people falling asleep in our garbage and driveby shootings... Eugene, to me, feels like a little in-between of those two extremes, maybe closer to the safer/sweet end of the spectrum. But it's really just what you're used to. If you can afford it, I'd suggest the neighborhood by Gilham Elementary School. It's probably the nicest/safest neighborhood in Eugene. Second to that would be the South Hills area, but last I checked property crime was higher in that area. The Harlow Neighborhood (near Monroe Middle School/Ascot Park) is also nice. You hear the phrase "Ferry Street Bridge" all the time when looking at rentals or homes to buy - don't let that fool you. FSB is sort of huge and diverse, or at least it has seemed so to us, being non-natives to the area. Just because it's FSB, doesn't mean it's on a nice street.

Quote:
- Peace and quiet (i.e. no high density of college parties or near major freeways)
Definitely the North Gilham or Harlow area then, or South Hills as far back as you can afford it. Super quiet. Away from the UofO.

Quote:
- Possibly walk/bike distance to stores, coffee shops, library, post office, farmer's market, etc.
North Gilham area... If you look on the map, there's a shopping center at N. Delta HWY and Green Acres. There's a little place right there where you can pick up the river bike trail that will take you ... well... all along the river and even into Springfield if your bottom can stand being on your bike for that long! Hubby and I did it a few times, and our butts were so sore! From North Delta/Green Acres, it takes you about 30 - 45 minutes to ride your bike to Valley River Center Mall. It's a fun family bike ride - especially if you stop along the way to find the planets. (Eugene's scale model of the solar system...) Anyway - Gilham is a great neighborhood because there are banks/credit unions, Market of Choice which is the closest thing we have to a Whole Foods Market (I worked at Whole Foods for 12 years before moving to Oregon), other shopping places you might need, etc. It's a good location, and Gilham Elementary, which feeds into Cal Young Middle School which feeds into Sheldon High School is one of the top picks as far as local public high schools go - or so I'm told! South Eugene H.S. is also supposed to be very good. North and Churchill sort of have sketchy/ghetto reputations, but I've heard both good and bad things about both schools. Churchill just received a grant so that they can implement an engineering program at their school - this might mean very good things/improvements happening there. North is kind of ghetto... I worked in the school for a few weeks and it was depressing. South is very artsy and liberal... progressive... Sheldon is big on sports and drama, choir, dance, drama... but especially sports. Anyway - Gilham Elem. has a sweet little park, too, with a grassy field to play in. It's a great neighborhood. My kids had a wonderful experience at Gilham and Cal Young, LOVE those two schools... but we have had some frustrations with Sheldon High School to tell you the truth. We have been told, though, that they are working on improving the situation and next year should be better... we'll see...

Anyway - Good luck with everything!

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 03-11-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 PM

SO helpful! thank you so much for the information!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,256 times
Consider Springfield, across the river from Eugene. It used to be considered Eugene's "blue-collar" neighbor (it's formerly a mill town), but the housing is less expensive and the town is very friendly. Also LGBT friendly. Plus it's where RiverBend Hospital is located. We live in Springfield's historic neighborhood, the Washburne District. Easy bike ride to the hospital, and to downtown Eugene along the riverside path. Plus, Springfield now has a year-round farmer's market (Eugene doesn't). Once you have kids in school, you may want to relocate to Eugene (public schools are better), but Springfield is a great place to get your start and figure out exactly where you want to love. Springfield has its share of property crime, so don't leave valuables in your car (same in Eugene), but as a woman I feel perfectly safe walking around at night.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,256 times
Correction: ...where you want to *live* (and *love,* haha).

Old 03-16-2013, 05:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,051,164 times
Springfield schools aren't that bad, actually. We're in Eugene and our kids currently attend supposedly the best schools in Eugene, we're getting so fed-up that we started checking out other area schools. Springfield schools receive more federal money/resources than Eugene schools because the family incomes are lower there, so they qualify for more programs. Also - Springfield high school is so far the only high school in the area so far that we've found that still have the technical/vocational classes like welding, mechanics, woodworking, etc. I dare you (anyone ) to go take a tour of Springfield High School and not be impressed with the offerings there. Our oldest goes to Sheldon and we are unimpressed. Springfield High School has an amazing array of electives available. They rebuild cars and sell them, they have an enormous woodshop and build cabinets and do other jobs and sell them... they build metal gates and fences, they also have a beautiful art area where students do pottery, ceramics, glass, etc. It's awesome. They also have this amazing 3-D printer that was donated to S.H.S.'s CAD prgram - Sheldon and South don't (last time I checked, anyway)... We were very impressed with Springfield High School.

But even if you do live in Springfield, you can apply for a transfer so that you student can attend schools in another district. It doesn't cost anything, but sometimes you have to wait for an opening. It's basically a trade- one student transferring from Springfield to Eugene trades spots with one student transferring from Eugene to Springfield. When we were checking out the schools in Thurston and Springfield, several students had just transferred from Eugene schools to Springfield schools. I think Eugene parents are beginning to realize how limiting Eugene is as far as options for their kids at the high school level.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM

920 posts, read 1,663,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Springfield schools aren't that bad, actually. We're in Eugene and our kids currently attend supposedly the best schools in Eugene, we're getting so fed-up that we started checking out other area schools. Springfield schools receive more federal money/resources than Eugene schools because the family incomes are lower there, so they qualify for more programs. Also - Springfield high school is so far the only high school in the area so far that we've found that still have the technical/vocational classes like welding, mechanics, woodworking, etc. I dare you (anyone ) to go take a tour of Springfield High School and not be impressed with the offerings there. Our oldest goes to Sheldon and we are unimpressed. Springfield High School has an amazing array of electives available. They rebuild cars and sell them, they have an enormous woodshop and build cabinets and do other jobs and sell them... they build metal gates and fences, they also have a beautiful art area where students do pottery, ceramics, glass, etc. It's awesome. They also have this amazing 3-D printer that was donated to S.H.S.'s CAD prgram - Sheldon and South don't (last time I checked, anyway)... We were very impressed with Springfield High School.

But even if you do live in Springfield, you can apply for a transfer so that you student can attend schools in another district. It doesn't cost anything, but sometimes you have to wait for an opening. It's basically a trade- one student transferring from Springfield to Eugene trades spots with one student transferring from Eugene to Springfield. When we were checking out the schools in Thurston and Springfield, several students had just transferred from Eugene schools to Springfield schools. I think Eugene parents are beginning to realize how limiting Eugene is as far as options for their kids at the high school level.
Really appreciate your post, 4J schools have been WAY overblown vis a vis Springfield schools. It still comes down to this, if anyone wants to learn, then it's up to them. All real education is self education, no matter the school, no matter the teacher. Yes teachers can motivate, but even without one, you must put in the effort. No such thing as a passive education, that isn't education at all. So it's very good to read that Springfield HS has such great vocational, hands on instruction, which demands some self motivation and student involvement...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM

8,000 posts, read 15,815,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellbell63 View Post
Consider Springfield, across the river from Eugene. ... ... Also LGBT friendly. ... ...
To call Springfield LGBT Friendly is still a little bit of a streach. They are getting there, but it isn't Eugene.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks for all of your tips!!! I'm not having any luck finding a place in our budget range in the so-called "perfect" parts (hahaha only if it was THAT easy!) of town that's been mentioned, but I have a dibs on a rental near C'est La Vie Inn. Now, I was told from the grapevines that the area (technically Jefferson Westside neighborhood, I believe...) is considered a "borderline" neighborhood between safe and not-so-safe. I just wanted to gauge what that means exactly. I'm used to the up-and-coming neighborhood profiles of Providence RI, Oakland CA, and Pomona CA all of which definitely did not make me want to take an evening stroll. Any thoughts?

Long-term, my partner and I will probably buy a place in the Southern or Northern parts of Eugene like everyone suggested, but for the time being, do you think it would be a descent choice??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area