U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 49,439 times

Advertisements

I have tried to do some searching in the Eugene forum in regard to the current job market, but I don't see much out there. I also feel that things can change from year to year, so I'd like to get a more up to date idea of the area.

I've done a bit of research myself and I just ask you guys to let me know if what I'm reading is fairly accurate or if I'm completely off. I appreciate your feedback.

I am considering Eugene as a place to move to in August 2013. I'm 25 years old and I've been working for more than five years at my current job as an Accounts Payable Executive and would like to know how likely it seems that I could land a job as a bookkeeper or accounting clerk without a college degree?

I was originally looking into Fort Collins, CO but everything I read about the place indicates that because it's a college town, there are tons of young graduates that are willing to work for lower wages and that it's a competitive job market.

Is Eugene similar in that respect?

I would also like to know about renting an apartment. It seems on craigslist that I am seeing lots of 2BR 1 baths in the 6-700 range with some utilities paid. Am I okay to assume that rent is typically in the range of 550-700 for a decent apartment, nothing fancy? I would also be bringing my 60lb dog along which I know can pose a problem with some apartment complexes.

On that same note I'd like to know if Eugene is a dog-friendly place to live? Does the city put time and money into a dog park? Are there lots of trails? Right now I like to walk him in family neighborhoods away from major traffic.

Off topic: I suffer from chronic sinusitis and my ENT has made it clear that I need to move away from humidity if I ever hope to ease my suffering. Can anyone tell me if they believe Eugene is a decent climate for people that have sinus problems? I don't expect to be completely rid of it, but any bit of relief will help.

Again, I appreciate any feedback that is offered!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,905,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingWest87 View Post
I have tried to do some searching in the Eugene forum in regard to the current job market, but I don't see much out there. I also feel that things can change from year to year, so I'd like to get a more up to date idea of the area.

That is because there isn't much of a job market unless you are looking for call center work or professional employment.

I've done a bit of research myself and I just ask you guys to let me know if what I'm reading is fairly accurate or if I'm completely off. I appreciate your feedback.

Mostly accurate

I am considering Eugene as a place to move to in August 2013. I'm 25 years old and I've been working for more than five years at my current job as an Accounts Payable Executive and would like to know how likely it seems that I could land a job as a bookkeeper or accounting clerk without a college degree?

May be able to get one, Most open listings in that field don't get more than 50 or 60 applications.

I was originally looking into Fort Collins, CO but everything I read about the place indicates that because it's a college town, there are tons of young graduates that are willing to work for lower wages and that it's a competitive job market.

Yes. Eugene is a multiple college/university town. With another university and several more colleges just 30 to 40 miles to the north.

I would also like to know about renting an apartment. It seems on craigslist that I am seeing lots of 2BR 1 baths in the 6-700 range with some utilities paid. Am I okay to assume that rent is typically in the range of 550-700 for a decent apartment, nothing fancy? I would also be bringing my 60lb dog along which I know can pose a problem with some apartment complexes.

With a dog no. And those are the low end or small appartments. The cheeper ones are rooms only, quads, or drug pads. Expect $500 to $1,500 a month and for an apartment, a lot of rejections for any dog, and no dog over 20 pounds.

On that same note I'd like to know if Eugene is a dog-friendly place to live? Does the city put time and money into a dog park? Are there lots of trails? Right now I like to walk him in family neighborhoods away from major traffic.

Yes.

Off topic: I suffer from chronic sinusitis and my ENT has made it clear that I need to move away from humidity if I ever hope to ease my suffering. Can anyone tell me if they believe Eugene is a decent climate for people that have sinus problems? I don't expect to be completely rid of it, but any bit of relief will help.

You are either pulling our leg, or you have not done much research. Why would you move someplace you have never been before? Oregon is HUMIDITY.

If you are serious, you need to come here in July, November, and March "FIRST.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM

8,342 posts, read 14,308,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingWest87 View Post

I don't have much information for you on Eugene, other than its a nice smaller city in a beautiful region of the country. That and it does have a large student population and they need jobs. So I would imagine the job market is competitive. I believe several large call centers are in Eugene. If you get in a bind job wise those employers are usually looking for workers. I think just about anyplace in Oregon is very dog friendly and there are plenty of trails in Eugene.

I can offer more on the chronic sinusitis as I definitely suffer from it. I lived in Portland for 7 years. I retired last year and left the area. I have been trying out Arizona as a retirement location for the past 7 months. Let me tell you a drier climate vs humidity doesn't work for everyone with sinus conditions. I am on antibiotics now for the 3rd time in the 7 months for sinus and respitory infections. I never lost my voice with sinus troubles before and now I do. I just came back from the Grand Canyon and my voice was fine when I left. The 2nd day gone and sinuses completely clogged. Doctor said its a continuous problem that doesn't seem to end for me, and is aggravated by the dry dusty windy conditions of Arizona. Any sinus troubles I had in Oregon and I had them, were nothing compared to this. I live in the Phoenix area. I really like parts of Arizona but I can't see myself suffering like this and on medicine all the time. So part of me is missing some of the dampness in Oregon.

Your young and life is yours now. Do what you want and don't let anyone make you feel you can't or should not. If you want to move to Eugene. You should. Try it out like I am doing with Arizona. See if Eugene and Oregon fit you. Maybe your sinus condition will be better there maybe it won't. Only time will tell. I know I may like much of Arizona but my body isn't taking to it. Seems I need some moisture and dryness is a trigger for serious problems for me.

I say go for it. If it doesn't appeal to you or your sinuses. Then you can always leave. Your only 25. You only live once. Believe me make the most of it, because time goes by a lot faster than you think. Go for it. Eugene is a beautiful place for someone looking to get out of the rat race, and still be a self contained community that fills many needs.

Best of luck.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Anyone who has lived there could have told you Arizona is not a place to move with allergies. And anyone who has lived here can affirm Oregon is not a place for anyone with issues regarding humidity.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM

8,342 posts, read 14,308,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Anyone who has lived there could have told you Arizona is not a place to move with allergies. And anyone who has lived here can affirm Oregon is not a place for anyone with issues regarding humidity.

Yeah I thought that also with Arizona. I asked many people about it that had them before I came here. So many told me their allergies improved here. Yet when I went to the allergy clinics, you just about wait in line to get in. I guess our bodies are all different and react to allergens in different ways. It's sad Arizona use to be the place to move to, for anyone with breathing troubles.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Depends on your allergy.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,032,859 times
Regarding the sinus problem, from what I understand both extremes, too dry and too humid can be a problem. I can't vouch for too dry but the humidity in Eugene and the Willamette Valley in general can be a huge problem for those in which humidity is a trigger for allergies and sinus problems. If these are a trigger where you live now, they will be an even bigger problem in these places. If not, you will probably be okay.

I think spending some time in Eugene especially during the spring would be the best way to find out. Take some vacation time for a couple of weeks at least. Don't wait until the summer time when the weather tends to dry out. Now would be the ideal time to test it out.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Rain tends to wash most allergins from the air. Humidity without rain tends to cause them to grow and thrive.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,613,608 times
I strongly recommend you get a solid job offer before you move to Eugene. It's usually better to be local and look for a job. In my experience that didn't help. There are very few jobs in Eugene. That hasn't changed much over the last few years. You might want to consider Boise, Idaho. I went to school with someone who really enjoys it their.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,886 times
All of Oregon will have lots of Humidity, if you like Oregon, you should look into Southern area like Meford, Bend, and Klamath Falls, these areas have great weather and are not so high humidity like the valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area