Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM

180 posts, read 583,232 times

Advertisements

... Despite the fact you cannot back up your opinion with any facts ?

Look I am not saying that Cottage Grove is some kind of liberal Nirvana, but it actually reflects the national demographics pretty closely, which I enjoy. I have lived enough places where everyone agrees on everything, it gets old... Steve just keeps repeating this line hoping that it will come true, but sadly facts have do not back him up.

Now Steve will have to have the last word on this debate, but I encourage the OP and any future readers to look at who presents facts to back up their claims, and who does not. Better yet just come down and see for yourself. You won't meet Steve's relatives as they seem to not vote, nor do they go downtown... Probably all hanging out in some walled off enclave watching Fox News. It has a great quality of life, a lot of cultural offerings such as theater and music for a small town, has nearby wineries ( because what's more liberal then wine and cheese?) and of course it is a close run to Eugene for more culture, fancy cheese to go with your wine or what have you. So go ahead Steve and repeat your UNSUBSTANTIATED opinion once again, but realize that no one is buying it but you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
You need to go to a few city council meetings. Then tell me how liberal the city is. It's still a loggers and mill workers town with a good amount of retired seniors. If it weren't for the sprinkling of Johnny-Come-Lately Californians it would be one of the most conservative towns in the state.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Sprinkling? You call half the electorate a "sprinkling"?

As to council meeting.. You know why I never go? Because I am working, like most other non retired folks. I keep trying to go but I rarely leave the office ( when I am home) before 6-630 and I have kids who need my attention. This is how most people are... Who isn't like this? Oh yes RETIRED people so of course the demographic of people who go to council meetings is skewed as older people tend to be more conservative. That is like taking a survey but only going to evangelical churches. Your data pool is skewed.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM

I thought you worked nights? And Californians are nowhere near half the electorate of Cottage Grove. Not even close. What you are telling us is you don't have the time between job and family to find out what is really going on in Cottage Grove.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
This sort of thing is why a lot of people don't bother anymore with the Oregon forum. It's just so sad and unnecessary. There's an awful lot more to any community than the city council. Thanks, Brett, for the realistic portrayal of Cottage Grove.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:08 PM

It's called having a professional job Steve. I get a schedule, I work it. Maybe back in the olden days people could count on having a regular schedule their whole career but that is not the case anymore. Ask your mill working friends and family I am pretty sure they know what I am talking about.

Maybe not council meetings, but schools, church, stores. I don't volunteer as much as I used too with four kids at home, one more in college but I still donate to the local charities. I didn't see you at the family relief nursery gala at the armory either... Must mean you don't get out much by yr own logic.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
... ... I didn't see you at the family relief nursery gala at the armory either... Must mean you don't get out much by yr own logic.
I think I was busy with the Pride Parade that day.

If you are busy with the schools you should be well aware how conservative Cottage Grove is.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Thanks for the rep; you're FAR from the only one.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Steve, I think I've uncovered the basis of yours and Brett's argument about Cottage Grove.

Sometimes I think that you and I, and other people our age sometimes suffer from something called non-relevancy.

Some of us try to stay young, get and stay involved with young people, try to understand how the world and Oregon is changing, and actually listen to what other people are trying to tell us...instead of constantly trying to shout them down when they don't agree with us.

On the other hand, some of us form our opinions, believe what we want to believe, can't see past our spectacles (BTW, I don't wear glasses), and become old fogey curmudgeons living in a world of twenty to thirty years ago that we still believe to be true today.

Some of us older gents become self-proclaimed "Tabanidae", who's only desire and means of feeling relevant in life is to stir up trouble and irritate the other guy because they get a kick out of ticking people off.

Brett has give us an excellent description of daily life in Cottage Grove, has provided factual data to support his arguments, is a several year resident of Cottage Grove, presents himself intelligently and civilly, and is in many of our eyes, totally believable and up to date with the way Cottage Grove is today.

So far, all your evidence has been "anecdotal" at best.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
... ...

Some of us older gents become self-proclaimed "Gadflies", who's only desire and means of feeling relevant in life is to irritate the other guy because they get a kick out of ticking people off.
Really .....

I am a self proclaimed Gadfly, but like Socrates, my nipping at the ankles targets the established Government Bureaucrats, not the Youth of our community.

And I don't get a kick out of ticking people off.

What you seemed to have missed is I take the time to attended government functions and learn the pulse of a community. The younger generation take guesses at how the suppose things to be, not how they really are or from first hand knowledge, because they are bust raising kids and paying bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area