U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,129 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting sent to Eugene for work. I've seem to be drawn to the Sweet Home area when I'm looking around the different areas around Eugene on the internet. Anyone able to give me info on SH? I have two small children. Good place to raise kids?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM

540 posts, read 2,016,587 times
Sweet Home has a very rural character and great access to the mountain rec areas. There is some ongoing attempt to turn the lakefront into a resort area, but I'm not sure it's ever going to really take off...housing there is still fairly affordable. I can't personally speak for the schools (so I won't).

As I've written many times in other forums, you might want to look just a bit west at Albany or Lebanon. I live in Albany and my family and I have come to love it here. A nice small community with a lot going for it. Good schools, friendly people, and access to everything you need within a short drive (if it isn't already here).

I've raised 2 girls here (we moved here they were in Kindergarten and 4th grade...now in 6th and 10th grades). They have great friends and lots to do. We've been very happy with the schools and the local sports and rec programs.

All the best,
Dave

Old 11-03-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks Dave! We actually wanted to move to Albany when we moved out of MI but the transfer never worked out and we ultimately ended up in CA. It sounded like a great place and we were pretty dissapointed it didn't work out. He worked at the Target Distribution Center at the time and wanted to transfer to the one there. How far of a drive would it be from Eugene? My husband is just about done with air traffic control school and Eugene or Portland are major possibilities of where he will get placed.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,423,440 times
We just returned from visiting Oregon and wanted to check out Sweet Home and Lebanan. We kept driving , we were not impressed with the "main" parts of town. Different strokes, dont mean to offend if someone lives there,and I am sure there are nicer areas that we missed, but not much to offer,towns seemed very tired and run down.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM

540 posts, read 2,016,587 times
Commute from Albany to Eugene is about 45 minutes (you can go straight down I-5 or take a very nice country drive down 99)...if you are headed to the airport.

You may also want to check out Brownsville, Harrisburg, and Junction City if you're looking at Eugene airport.

Happy to help.

Dave

Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Thanks Dave!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,698 times
I lived in Sweet Home for 8 years. We moved to Lebanon about 8 months ago and I tell you it is like living in a different world. Sweet Home is a pretty little town, but has a severe meth problem. Anything on your property that is not bolted down will be stolen even if you live in the nicer parts of town. I know you get trashy people where ever you go, but there seems to be a very high amount of meth users and criminals in Sweet Home. I think that with proper law enforcement and more community involvement Sweet Home would be a fantastic place to live. The schools in Lebanon are better as well. I have an 11 year old son and I really just don't think that Sweet Home is a good place to have my son go to Jr. High School. or High School. A local drug counselor stated that Linn County was the meth capital of Oregon and that Sweet Home was the worst area in Linn County for meth use. She said that she was treating children as young as 10 that were already using meth. Take that into consideration if you are thinking of moving to Sweet Home. If you don't have children, it might not be too bad a place to live.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 17,842 times
Lived in Albany Ore. for 42 years, you'd love it. Sweet Home is a small town not much to do there. Lots of inbreeding around that area.

Albany is about 1.5 hrs. from the coast & a couple hrs. from the mountains. About 1 hr. from Portland and about 45 minutes from Eugene.
But if you are planning on living in the Willamette Valley area depend on getting lots (and I mean lots) of rain.

Politics suck big time in Oregon.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,764 times
What are your thoughts on renting a home in Brownsville. I saw it in a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area