U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 AM

347 posts, read 2,055,510 times

Advertisements

Good tip! I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely do that. Thanks. Any suggestions on good brands for jackets and gloves? I have NO experience in the area and don't even own a jacket (just a couple of light sweatshirts and sweaters which for me are "winter" clothes)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,586,478 times
lol, well......in my earlier post, I mentioned Columbia Sportswear as the company to buy a jacket from - they do entire lines, and I love it all. - Im trying to remember what I wrote before, dont want to repeat - but lets see, They are more expensive, but well worth it - you can get anything from a light poncho to a jacket that you could use in Antartica, gloves, boots, shoes, pants, hats, etc. My whole family has the Titanium jackets w/liners. - you can use just the outer jacket if its wet and chilly outside, theyre waterproof...you can use just the liner if its just kinda brisk out, nice and soft. - put it all togeather and youve got great all around protection from wind/rain/snow etc. Their kids line is terrific too, everythign is very high quality and looks great too. My mom is really tiny and she wears stuff from the kids line, looks and works just like the bigger ones. She used it and didnt need anything more when they were in Colorado, Idaho,and in Northern Canada (ya, in the winter, skiing/snowmobiling) I think they have a website, something like columbiasportswear. com or similar to that. We get all our stuff from a distributer so its cheaper, good to know people lol - and I know you can get some on ebay. - again, its well worth the cost, I totally recommend it all.
depending on where you go in Oregon, you wont need much more than your couple sweaters/sweatshirts - and a line of Columbia.
Tiffany

Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,586,478 times
okay, just a follow up, yes, they do have a website, you can go there too see all their wondeful stuff, and there was a bunch on ebay too, for some really cheap prices!wow! - lol, anyhow, check it out, its an Oregon based store too for some state pride.
Tiffany

Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,827,076 times
Sailing: You won't need tires in the Valley, just at the border with Oregon/California because you're going over a mountain pass. It snows very rarely in the Valley and when it does, it usually doesn't stay.

Eugene is pricey by Oregon standards. For an ex-Californian, it's probably going to seem like a steal. A college buddy of mine just bought a brand new 1700 square foot house for $250K. Tiny lot, but they're only going to be in Eugene for two years.

I would say Eugene is quite safe. I live in Salem and I find Eugene to be a very wonderful town. It's quite the dichotomy--tree huggers and elitist liberals, yet the churches are full on Sunday! You get the tie-dyed hippies at the Oregon Country Fair and the pro-growth people in Springfield. Provides a nice balance. Eugene is far more liberal than its sister city and is perceived to have an anti-business bias.

It's the running capital of Oregon, if not the country. Nike founder Phil Knight went to U of O. It is accessible to skiing in the McKenzie Pass and the Oregon Coast--both an hour away. Wineries are nearby as are rivers, lakes, forests. Culture is abundant as is cuisine.

Welcome to Oregon. You'll love it here!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 PM

54 posts, read 398,228 times
EUGENE
Recreation: great bike paths, walking, hiking Mt. Pisquah, one hour to coast or mtns, great gyms, tennis, and TRACK town USA
Safety: Pick your neighborhoods carefully. I recommend renting for a few months to get the feel of the town. University area can get pretty wild...one year the radicals set about five SUV's on fire at a car lot. More homeless folks each year arrive and drugs issues hang over like the clouds.
Climate: You will adapt and learn to live in a gortex shell
Life expense: not bad...depends on where you are coming from. No sales tax but other tax hits make up for it.
I moved because I wanted better schools for my kids. I got tired of budget cuts. I miss the recreation and greenery

Last edited by wohelo; 10-25-2006 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 11-01-2006, 05:16 PM

347 posts, read 2,055,510 times
Tif thanks so much for your advice on winter clothing! It comes in really handy for a Californian haha. I was going to the stores all over my city since the "winter" clothes are out now and NOTHING was right for Oregon weather which makes sense since it's CA and not Oregon but still it was frustrating. I'll be perusing Ebay on your advice for a good deal on that brand. Thanks to the others who described Eugene and gave advice. It's nice to hear from many different perspectives. I can't wait for my visit! I hardly knew it would be such an investment lol... new clothes, chains for the car etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
I recently moved to Eugene. It's been 5 days now, I come from Brawley Ca which is a Scorching 115 right now. I'm loving Eugene's scenery and beautiful weather so far; it's green green green love it! It was nice to read about the preparation for winter. Is there any other tips I may need. I also have 2 - 40lb dogs and r having a hard time adjusting any tips? Will August be a warmer month or will it hold steady in the 80s and how soon will it start raining and getting cold?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
Hello,

Wonderful pictures! My husband might take a transfer to Eugene, we are looking at places to rent first until we know the area. Trouble is we have no idea about the area, we are out of state. We have two beautiful dogs, very well behaved. I really would love some insite on a nice area to live in. Any impute would be greatly appreciated. E

Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,075,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Safety Im not sure on either, obviously there is crime (FIND BROOKE!!!!) but not like it terrifyng to walk down the street in the middle of the afternoon. Id say keep an eye on the local news (kcby is a local tv station and its got a web site)
Good luck to ya!
Tiffany
Hey Tiff - just fyi... they found Brooke Wilberger's remains in 2009. So sad. Brooke Wilberger's remains found; killer pleads guilty | OregonLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area