U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 AM

5 posts, read 22,083 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Oregon but I'll move to Eugene soon. How about this city in terms of safety, climate, life expense and recreation? I appreciate your inputs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,609,232 times
well, it depends on what youre used to.
Eugene is a college town, its very pretty, very green. McKenzie River flows through it, and there are endless hike/bike trails everywhere. Like most of Oregon, its very very pedestrian/biker friendly. You'll find a ton of little coffee shops, several Starbucks, all the bigger resturants (Applebys, OliveGarden, Chevys, Outback, etc.) two good sized malls, skating rinks, gymnastics, indoor soccer, etc. Great hospital there, they take a lot of the heart patients in Oregon there. Fern Ridge Resv. is just out of town a bit, and has awesome sailing/water sking/tubing/etc.
I personally wouldnt live there though, it confuses me greatly everytime I try to drive in Eugene! lol Too crowded for me, Im used to smaller towns. But, for the most part, its very friendly. Most people are pretty open minded (course, most of them are college kids too, so there ya go lol) As for rain, well, i live on the Ore. coast, and Im very used to the rain, doesnt bug me at all, so theres not many places in the world I think that it rains a lot. lol IF youre coming from a dryer state, be prepared! Get yourself a rainproof jacket. Columbia sportswear makes some great ones! I use their Titanium jacket, has a very warm liner for those few cold months, (ive used it sking, and kept me very warm!) then when its just raining, you can take the liner out and its not so heavy. - they are a great investment!
As for expense in Eugene. I dont really know. Sorry!!
Safety Im not sure on either, obviously there is crime (FIND BROOKE!!!!) but not like it terrifyng to walk down the street in the middle of the afternoon. Id say keep an eye on the local news (kcby is a local tv station and its got a web site)
Good luck to ya!
Tiffany

Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM

347 posts, read 2,060,004 times
I actually have a follow-up question about Eugene. I saw some pictures of Eugene in Winter on the campus of U of O and there is lots of SNOW in the pictures! I didn't know that it actually snowed to the point that it looked like lots of snow in the daytime. I am hoping to visit in late December/ early January and I was wondering if I would need snow chains or something like that? Especially from driving up from California. Has anyone made that drive and would I need snow chains? I know there is at least one other on the board wondering the same thing so any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,520,872 times
Yes it snows a couple of times most years in Eugene. If you are driving up on highway 5 you'll need chains. Close to the state line you go up in elevation which often has snow in winter and sometimes during spring.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 PM

85 posts, read 622,074 times
Default Really?

How about if you're driving down from PDX to Eugene? Chains required? It seems pretty flat that way. (I just know I'm making Maria Therese laugh again.)

I was kind of hoping for (coastal) Northern CA snow. Looks like a light sprinkling of powdered sugar. Melts off by lunchtime. Am I living in Fantasyland?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:05 AM

1,313 posts, read 6,131,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserter View Post
I was kind of hoping for (coastal) Northern CA snow. Looks like a light sprinkling of powdered sugar. Melts off by lunchtime. Am I living in Fantasyland?
No, that's more or less how it is. During the 13 years I lived in Corvallis, I saw snow on the ground maybe four or five times total. Most winters there isn't any at all. A greater worry is black ice (freeze after a rain) which often can't be detected visually while driving and can result in uncontrolled skidding. You only need chains or snow tires when going up to the mountain passes to go skiing. So the only question about driving up from California would be whether or not Siskiyou Pass on I-5 requires chain-up at the border Between Yreka and Ashland. You have to watch the weather and see; most of the time the freeway is clear and trouble-free.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 22,083 times
Tiffela74, thanks for your inputs!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Anytime Sailing - best of luck to ya!
Tiffany

Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 AM

347 posts, read 2,060,004 times
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure and I asked a friend who's in Eugene and she said that it is required when going into Oregon that you have snow chains in the winter. Since I'm planning a visit in late December that's good to know! I don't think you need em from Portland to Eugene but I'm not sure about that. I had to research exactly what chains were and how to put them on... I love learning about other places because there are always little things you might not think of. I like to be ready for anything! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 PM

just a thought too, when you practice puttng your chains on, do it w/gloves on too. - that way youre used to doing that already, and wont be fumbling so much. - also, its a good idea, no matter where youre at, to keep an emergency kit in your car, including some water bottles/snacks/blanket/flares/matches/radio/batteries/etc. - i keep that stuff in my car at all times, no matter weather/where I am. You just never know. Typically, we dont get tons of snow, and the roads are pretty good, but like mentioned before, there is black ice here, freezing rain/sleet and those can cause much worse issues than snow.
Best of luck, and bring a waterproof jacket/gloves when you come on up.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area