Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 21,627 times

Advertisements

Okay, there's a weird flame war about nothing going on. Get used to that if you're moving to Oregon. Eugene is a small town, really. Portland is a city, but it's maybe a two-hour drive north. Anything will grow here (the soil is sooo rich) and everything is beautiful, but as you can see from the bickering here, the economy is not so great. So seriously, I would not recommend moving here unless you have a job lined up in advance. I mean, you're going to do what you're going to do, but it is incredibly hard to get work here (I've lived in Eugene for three years, and had a job with UO lined up before moving here, fwiw).

The country is nice. There are smaller towns around this one, where the rent is cheaper and you'd live out in the country. It would require driving. If you live in Eugene or Portland, the public transit is actually pretty good. It will not, not, not be like Atlanta, and I want to stress that. The cities here aren't huge, and Eugene itself at times feels incredibly small. Now, having said that, I honestly don't mean it in a bad way, though. People are incredibly friendly, kind of quirky, and there are a lot of local activities/organizations that you can get into for recreation. There's a cool Saturday market, local performance organizations if you are into theater or music, and summer here is lovely. But a lot of the aspects of a really fun city just aren't around anywhere, besides maybe Portland (and I found it not to be the thriving metro I had thought it would be). Sometimes you miss that, and sometimes you don't.

And you already know about the forests, waterfalls, coast, etc., judging from your OP.

Perhaps you should visit before just taking the plunge. Go to a few of the towns. See what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Visiting first is the best idea. Too many people just get an idea that they want to live here just by driving through and falling in love with the beauty of the area. But living here is a whole other thing. Also being here in person can allow someone to do a little legwork in checking out the job and housing situation firsthand.

I would absolutely recommend that anyone relocating someone visit a place first and scoping things out prior to moving there. That's what I did before I relocated to Portland.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I lived in Eugene for 2 years, but OP based on your experience level I would suggest Portland. Having a job is really a necessity and that will be easier in Portland. I understand the desire to jump into a new opportunity. I moved to Chicago with a friend when I was 19 without having a job or knowing anyone. I found a job and worked full time for a while. My only concern is you say you have spent most of your life with your family in the same place, so will you be ready to move to a new city without a support system?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
I also fell in love with Oregon a few years ago, and have been determined to move there ever since! I don't want to get on Steve's bad side by stating the general want to move, but unfortunately I don't know exactly where I want to settle down either.

"I don't think I understand why someone would move to Oregon when they don't even know where they will live, or want to live."

Oregon is a very beautiful state, and actually was the reason for my switch to an Agriculture major. Speaking as a girl stuck in the Los Angeles county, I could tell you how beautiful the scenery is and how the farmer's markets sound amazing, but I'm sure you already know all of this.

That being said, are there any suggestions for an Agriculture major? I don't want to move to a really small city, since I've lived my entire life in southern Cali. I don't imagine I would transition too well from LA to a very small town. I also don't want to contribute to Steve's hated homeless population, but I won't let that scare me away from a dream I've had for most of my life. Sorry Steve.

I also wanted to add, I fully intend on visiting again before moving, not only to check out job prospects, but hopefully to line up any interviews, and see the housing situation. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I don't have a bad side. And I also came up from LA County to the Pacific Northwest, although I was conceived here and lived here as a small child.

Also I don't hate the homeless. I am a realist. I myself was homeless, well motor homeless, for several years after I was downsized in 2000. To say I hate my fellow homeless is just wrong. But not all homeless are that way because of circumstance.

A simple search of the thousands of recent posts would have answered all your questions many time over without the need to provide a veiled attack of my mostly spot on observations and comments.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles9tiin View Post
I also fell in love with Oregon a few years ago, and have been determined to move there ever since! I don't want to get on Steve's bad side by stating the general want to move, but unfortunately I don't know exactly where I want to settle down either.

"I don't think I understand why someone would move to Oregon when they don't even know where they will live, or want to live."

Oregon is a very beautiful state, and actually was the reason for my switch to an Agriculture major. Speaking as a girl stuck in the Los Angeles county, I could tell you how beautiful the scenery is and how the farmer's markets sound amazing, but I'm sure you already know all of this.

That being said, are there any suggestions for an Agriculture major? I don't want to move to a really small city, since I've lived my entire life in southern Cali. I don't imagine I would transition too well from LA to a very small town. I also don't want to contribute to Steve's hated homeless population, but I won't let that scare me away from a dream I've had for most of my life. Sorry Steve.

I also wanted to add, I fully intend on visiting again before moving, not only to check out job prospects, but hopefully to line up any interviews, and see the housing situation. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So since you are posting in the Eugene forum are you specifically asking questions about Eugene? Because it appears you are seeking information about Oregon in general in which case I would suggest you begin a new thread under the general Oregon forum. I'm sorry, I'm just not clear from your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area