Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Eugene is worse than Portland. Portland has a mess because of population. Eugene is because they embraced homelessness a few years back and passed ordinances allowing and encouraging them to congregate in Eugene.
Yup

Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Unfortunately, the whole "Occupy" thing left a pretty bad taste in the mouths of many local residents. The whole thing dragged much longer than it should have, and some of the antics and activities by those involved alienated even people who were initially sympathetic to their cause. After "Occupy" officially ended in Eugene, a lot the homeless were left behind, and the city is still trying to deal with the aftermath.

This is a personal observation only, but it's really my impression that Eugene has more of a "career homeless" population than anything else. I'm not going to pretend to know what the answer is.
I feel the same way, Melakatla, and we have observed the same things regarding occupy and its lingering effects as well. Prior to occupy in Eugene, my family used to use the heck out of the bike trails, as we lived right off of the riverbank trail. We would see a few down-and-out looking people as we were out... some sleeping in bushes or a few asking for handouts or maybe walking down the trail or whatever. But it was just a few. We always felt safe. Occupy began and pretty soon we stopped using the bike trails. We also stopped going downtown unless we just couldn't avoid it. And after the occupy camp was broken up and dispersed, we thought it would be OK to use the bike trails again. Wrong. it was as if the people that were at the camp just relocated to under bridges and and things along the bike trail. My son was actually pushed off his bike by a homeless looking person with an occupy patch on his hat. The guy pushed my son as we rode by on our bike. He (the guy not my son) looked like he was strung out or something, it was scary. He came out of the bushes.

Anyway - we don't ride the bike trails anymore. And I also used to love to go to the West Eugene Wetlands to walk (hubby's office is over there) and what's really cool about that area are the really rare Fender Blue butterfly and the Kincaid lupine, which were thought to be extinct but they found them in that area... it's a special place. But we stopped walking there, too, because around the time of occupy and shortly after we started noticing too many bums and weirdo's hanging around, shattered beer bottles and trash and buckets and stuff laying around, and it just wasn't a nice walk anymore.

Anyway... sorry for the long post... but there is a huge homeless problem in Eugene... and a lot of people who cater to them. I feel bad for those who are truly having a hard time, but it does seem that there are a bunch of people, too, who simply don't want to do anything but beg for a living, and sponge off society instead of being a productive member of it.

I have heard some people talking about how they think Obamacare might help some homeless be able to afford housing... in that if they qualify for healthcare, they can gets their meds and health care needs met, which helps them function better and frees up some of their income for housing cost. Also, under the terms of obamacare, all preventative services are supposed to be free, and pre-exisiting conditions don't matter. It's supposed to make it easier for the homeless and low-income people to receive help with drug and alcohol problems. This is good news, even if I still think obamacare stinks, especially in a state like Oregon... but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I feel the same way, Melakatla, and we have observed the same things regarding occupy and its lingering effects as well. Prior to occupy in Eugene, my family used to use the heck out of the bike trails, as we lived right off of the riverbank trail. We would see a few down-and-out looking people as we were out... some sleeping in bushes or a few asking for handouts or maybe walking down the trail or whatever. But it was just a few. We always felt safe. Occupy began and pretty soon we stopped using the bike trails. We also stopped going downtown unless we just couldn't avoid it. And after the occupy camp was broken up and dispersed, we thought it would be OK to use the bike trails again. Wrong. it was as if the people that were at the camp just relocated to under bridges and and things along the bike trail. My son was actually pushed off his bike by a homeless looking person with an occupy patch on his hat. The guy pushed my son as we rode by on our bike. He (the guy not my son) looked like he was strung out or something, it was scary. He came out of the bushes.

Anyway - we don't ride the bike trails anymore. And I also used to love to go to the West Eugene Wetlands to walk (hubby's office is over there) and what's really cool about that area are the really rare Fender Blue butterfly and the Kincaid lupine, which were thought to be extinct but they found them in that area... it's a special place. But we stopped walking there, too, because around the time of occupy and shortly after we started noticing too many bums and weirdo's hanging around, shattered beer bottles and trash and buckets and stuff laying around, and it just wasn't a nice walk anymore.

Anyway... sorry for the long post... but there is a huge homeless problem in Eugene... and a lot of people who cater to them. I feel bad for those who are truly having a hard time, but it does seem that there are a bunch of people, too, who simply don't want to do anything but beg for a living, and sponge off society instead of being a productive member of it.

I have heard some people talking about how they think Obamacare might help some homeless be able to afford housing... in that if they qualify for healthcare, they can gets their meds and health care needs met, which helps them function better and frees up some of their income for housing cost. Also, under the terms of obamacare, all preventative services are supposed to be free, and pre-exisiting conditions don't matter. It's supposed to make it easier for the homeless and low-income people to receive help with drug and alcohol problems. This is good news, even if I still think obamacare stinks, especially in a state like Oregon... but that's a whole 'nother thread.
How would a homeless person be able to afford Obamacare and how is it supposedly going to help with housing? Seems like these folks would just keep doing what they already are (get free healthcare).

Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
I lived right on the Amazon Bike Trail at 16th and Polk for several years.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
What is the homeless situation like in cities like Salem, Medford, Roseburg, Ashland, and Grants Pass?
In Ashland, the situation is horrendous. It, too, is a good example of "The Magnet Effect": well-meaning citizens have made great strides to ease the burdens of its resident homeless. BUT...little consideration was given to how policies favorable to the homeless would soon double and triple their local population. News travels fast, and the places where "you don't get hassled" get a reputation for being the place to go.

In the more blue-collar communities, there's less bourgeois guilt and the pickings are leaner so they tend to have a lower concentration of resident homeless. Medford has its share of homeless, but most are transients that are working their way down the Bear Creek Greenway toward Ashland. Medford would rank higher, though, in the percentage of homeless families. The number of people here who are not yet homeless but are right on the cusp -- maybe one paycheck away from being out on the street -- is shocking.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM

As it gets colder in Eugene and Portland, a lot of them migrate to Ashland and Coos Bay.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
How would a homeless person be able to afford Obamacare and how is it supposedly going to help with housing? Seems like these folks would just keep doing what they already are (get free healthcare).
Obamacare is supposed to offer free or subisidized plans if you cannot afford to purchase a plan through the exchange (Cover Oregon). If you google Obamacare homeless you can find lots of articles about it. OPB had a good story recently.

It helps with housing in that many homeless people are actually living on the streets, on friend's couches, in shelter's, temporary housing, etc. because all of their money is going towards medicine, healthcare costs, etc. Medicare and Medicaid are not always free and some do not qualify and even if you do have it, it does not cover everything. Diabetes, for example, is a horrific disease and the meds needed to control it are $$$. Some homeless people ended up homeless due to having to choose... OK... do I buy my diabetes meds so I can stay alive, or do I pay rent?

Doing away with being denied health insurance coverage due to pre-existing conditions will help, in that there are people who become homeless due to not being able to qualify for health insurance currently. Once they are able to get coverage, to help them pay for their medical needs, they will not only get their health in check so that they can function better and have a better shot at working, but also free up what income they do have to put towards housing.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 08-15-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM

Oregon's homeless issue is more of a young wannabe street kid thing or derilict transient. Yes there are families, but most, and I do mean most, are either addicted and don't want the no drug or booze rules that go with the help they could get, or they are right where they want to be. They don't get help because they don't qualify. They have homes to go to, or have incomes that should be enough to have a home, but they would rather spend it on ... well what ever they would rather spend it on. Oregon has become a destination for street campers and couch surfers.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
On the news they are showing a battle with what is now being called "campers" as opposed to "homeless" who are trying to take over Terry Shrunk Park across the Federal Building. That is federal property and they are not allowed to camp overnight so the Feds are chasing them out after 10:00pm I think is the time.

I passed by on the bus today and it is a mess there. The people who work in the surrounding areas, those whose taxes contribute towards its upkeep, can't enjoy the park any longer. It's overrun with tents and campers and who knows what else.

In an interview, one of the campers arrogantly look righted into the camera and stated that Portland, the Feds and everyone else "owed" these people a place to live, food and everything else they needed. He said they would stay there until they received it. I couldn't believe such a blatant attitude of entitlement. I would like to know how and why I owe this jerk anything. What's his background? I get the impression that he and his kind believe that he is owed support by anyone just by virtue of the fact they have a job while he doesn't have to bother with one.

How often have we heard this said that people like this don't want to "work for the "man;" the corrupt corporations and so and look with disdain at those who do? But they are the first in line when it comes to demanding total support and sustenance from them.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
On the news they are showing a battle with what is now being called "campers" as opposed to "homeless" who are trying to take over Terry Shrunk Park across the Federal Building. That is federal property and they are not allowed to camp overnight so the Feds are chasing them out after 10:00pm I think is the time.

I passed by on the bus today and it is a mess there. The people who work in the surrounding areas, those whose taxes contribute towards its upkeep, can't enjoy the park any longer. It's overrun with tents and campers and who knows what else.

In an interview, one of the campers arrogantly look righted into the camera and stated that Portland, the Feds and everyone else "owed" these people a place to live, food and everything else they needed. He said they would stay there until they received it. I couldn't believe such a blatant attitude of entitlement. I would like to know how and why I owe this jerk anything. What's his background? I get the impression that he and his kind believe that he is owed support by anyone just by virtue of the fact they have a job while he doesn't have to bother with one.

How often have we heard this said that people like this don't want to "work for the "man;" the corrupt corporations and so and look with disdain at those who do? But they are the first in line when it comes to demanding total support and sustenance from them.
I remember my dad telling me during the depression he and his brothers dropped out of school, lied about their ages, and went to work in the Civilian Conservation Crops. Every penny earned they sent back home. He said if they hadn't the family would have starved to death. Believe me when my siblings and I were old enough to wipe our own noses and butts, we were out picking berries, doing paper routes, mowing lawns and whatever else we could do. Dad called it learning by earning.

Dad also used to sing this song when I was growing up which is fitting today.

Hallelujah! I'm a bum

1.Oh, why don't you work
Like other men do?
How the hell can I work
When the skies are so blue?
Chorus:
Hallelujah! I'm a bum,
Hallelujah bum again,
Hallelujah! give us a handout
To revive us again.

2. Well, springtime has come
And I'm just out of jail,
Without any money,
Without any bail

3. I can't buy a job
'cause I ain't got the dough
So I ride in a boxcar
'cause I'm a hobo.

4. I went to a house and
I knocked on the door,
The lady said, "Scram, bum,
You've been here before!"

5. I went to a house, and
I asked for some bread;
A lady came out, says,
"The baker is dead."

6. I went to a bar and
I asked for a drink,
They gave me a glass
And they showed me the sink.

7. When springtime does come,
Oh won't we have fun,
We'll throw up our jobs
And we'll go on the bum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area