Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymelyte View Post
I don't quite "get" this argument about veterans. We've had a volunteer army for what, 40 years now? If you are a veteran of any war from Vietnam back, you're probably in your 70s by now, and I don't see anyone over the age of maybe 50 out on the wetlands (although living outdoors every day can make a 30-year-old look like they're 70), so if they are veterans than they chose that job, and all that goes with it, it's not like they were drafted against their will. Moreover, there really hasn't been a war since WWII that any US soldier was 'fighting for our freedom,' or our "right to bray online," that's just complete nonsense. Every war after WWII has been a political football, especially since the Gulf War, and most def. Iraq and Afghanistan, wars created to generate political capital for incumbent factions where as many civilians, (termed "collateral damage," I believe) are killed as combatants. Sad to say, but the reality today is that today's soldier is little more than human hamburger for the meat grinder of our vicious political system, and yes, I'm sure returning soldiers can in fact be really messed up, and from what I gather, they are being neglected by the very system they fought for, but they most definitely are not 'fighting for our freedoms' or for anything else other than some rich guys who want retain power, and if this is news to you then you really need to find a new source for your information. For the record, I grew up in a career military family and was even born on an Army base. I don't say these things lightly, but we have to set the record straight and stop mouthing empty platitudes like "fighting for our freedom" because it obfuscates the reality of the situation.

As for compassion, well as I mentioned, I've tried communicating with these people I see on a near-daily basis, and I wonder how many "normal" people try to do that. It's not that I'm such a great guy but when you see someone every day it's hard to just ignore them, plus I'm just curious about how they came to be living along the bike path, and while a couple of them here and there were surprisingly conversant, the vast majority are double-talkers and manipulators with a long-term spiel they use to control the direction of the conversation. It's a classic defensive alcoholic syndrome, they can be very persuasive if you're not hip to the trip they're on, and many can get taken in by said spiel, and become enablers who say "let's be compassionate." Some are definitely mentally ill, and you can thank the Reagan administration for that when they cut the budgets for mental institutions and put many of them on the street, a situation that continues today. The bottom line is America is a very vicious country if you are not swimming with the school, and well, that's what we voted for so if you don't like it you may want to reconsider your voting choices. Can't have it both ways you know.
Over 60 maybe. If you were 18 in 1971, you would be 60 now. However, I also don't get the idea that veterans deserve a free ride to everything for the rest of their lives. The military didn't screw their lives up, they did that all by themselves. Vets with PTSD get treatment, and you eventually get over it. You see a lot of bums claiming to be "veterans" who are just using it as an excuse to be a bum. They never saw the inside of a uniform, or if they did they spent their hitch getting stoned out behind the motor pool.

If they wanted guaranteed meals, housing and a paycheck, they should have stayed in the military. It's a lot tougher in civilian life. Root, Hog, or die.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
It was the Veterans organizations (not Government, but private) that started the "Point them to services, and don't give them money" programs. I know because I was involved with the first printed brochures for public servants and civilians in Coos County with information on how to really help the homeless. It is now a statewide program.

I can't agree with all of your last post concerning PTSD.

There are a lot of bums claiming to be Vets. If everyone who claimed to be a Vietnam In Country Vet was, there would have been tens of millions of vets from Vietnam.

The numbers are ..... The Army had around 4,368,000 members. The Marines had about 794,000. The Navy generally had 1,842,000. Lastly, the Air Force probably had about 1,740,000

Last edited by Steve Pickering; 08-23-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
PS:
I wonder what some of the posters on this forum actually do to help out the homeless instead of critizing other peoples views, and braying their unhelpful opinions about other posters viewpoints just to start a fight?

It's very easy to sit behind a computer pretending to be altruistic without actually doing anything to help the situation.
Good comment. Those are those ones whose posts are not worthy of response to the pettiness when it's obvious they are only posting for the sake of argument rather than any kind of meaningful contribution to the subject.

My landlord is one of the good guys. He actually contacts homeless agencies to hire help for jobs around his properties and then recommends the workers to other friends who are looking to hire people for this kind of work. Sometimes the elderly tenants who cannot do the more heavy jobs around their apartments hire them for their "honey-do" jobs as well. We get to know these guys.

All this goes into their resumes and helps to establish them in permanent jobs and into permanent homes. It's a small way of helping but even small ways help.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
... ...

PS:
I wonder what some of the posters on this forum actually do to help out the homeless instead of critizing other peoples views, and braying their unhelpful opinions about other posters viewpoints just to start a fight?

It's very easy to sit behind a computer pretending to be altruistic without actually doing anything to help the situation.

I have never just sat behind the computer. I ran for several public offices, participated in over a dozen groups assisting others in some way, and personally have provided shelter and food for several homeless individuals. Long term in some cases.

I still attended city council meetings and many board meetings that deal with these issue. For several years I never missed a County Commission meeting, City Council meeting, Work Session, or Information Assembly. I also spend several days each legislative session at the Capital, often speaking on subjects including the homeless situation.

So tell us what you have done, and I don’t mean abetting the issue with cash to the panhandlers. Something like blankets and clothing to the homeless. Serving food in a shelter, or collecting schools supplies for the car bound students who live from day to day needing the things most kids think are a right. I have done all those things in the last month, and I am not a liberal by any means. My donations to food bank are a weekly event.

I am not telling you this to brag on me, I am telling you because your brush is way to broad and I resent the implications you make. There is a better way than salving your soul with pocket change to some wino, bum, or addict.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Steve, please chill out.

I realize you have a very healthy ego, but believe it or not, not all posts on these forums are directed at you or are about you.

For many of us, there is life and thought that go beyond what the great STEVE PICKERING says and does.

Have a good weekend.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-23-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 PM

I never said it was about me, I said it was a broad brush and it offends me when the poster never said what he is doing to be part of the solution. I don't attend these meetings and council sessions by my self. There are many others who I stand shoulder to shoulder with handing out sandwiches, or doing homeless counts. It isn't just me, nor is it about me, although I have lived homeless for awhile. Just what have you done besides sit behind the keyboard looking for reasons to argue with me. I do my part. Do you?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Well ain't you special.

To paraphase something you once very explicitly told me :
It's not my burden to have to explain myself, or prove anything I say or do, to you.

And it's hard not to respond to you when you post in 95% of the threads in the Oregon forums.

Quote:
Just what have you done besides sit behind the keyboard looking for reasons to argue with me.
Steve, in this case, you took a perfectly benign statement and turned it around to make it seem like I was attacking or argueing with you.
I did not try in any way to argue with you.

And if you can't take a response to one of your posts that differs with your opinion, maybe you shouldn't post.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-23-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM

I am retired and I have the time. What of it. There isn't a thread I post in that you don't post in also. And now you are just turning this into a pissing contest because you don't have a solution to offer. I gave several examples of what I do. Now it's your turn unless you are just talk and no action. That is something no one will ever be able to accuse me of.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM

I didn't start the pissin' this time, my friend, you did.
If you would not have quoted and slammed me, the last several posts would never have been written.

Last I'll say on this subject.

Maybe you should put me on ignore.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Sounds like a good idea. You seem to know where the button is. I would like to know what you do to resolve the problem though since you seem to have an affinity for the homeless and down trodden, although I dare say not any real knowledge of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area