Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times

Advertisements

Allergies are not the personal realm of Eugene. They are an Oregon thing. But even that depends on your particular allergy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
Default Re:Eugene air quality

I agree with Roman. Collectively, I think that Eugene has the nicest (most warm and open-natured) people I have encountered anywhere. I regret to say, however, that I think the air quality in this area has become progressively (and very notably) unhealthful. Pronouncedly unhealthful. I acknowledge the significant aspect of geographical features. As one who has walked everywhere for years, I also attribute this to - the aforementioned and progressively-worsening forest fire situation in Oregon. And, the growing population and reliance (even in Eugene) upon motor vehicles. More people, more building/development/sprawl, more transportation use...less greenery. And - which no one could convince me otherwise - this city is absolutely experiencing the effects of "chem-trail" spraying with regard to air quality. From what I have observed, while many/most persons are in their vehicles, homes, or workplaces, the last factor may be the/one of the largest contributors. I see what have become blatant trails spanning the sky (even just above the downtown/nearby areas), sooty black clouds (in contrast to natural-appearing ones) left in the latter's wake, and haze that looks akin to what I remember per Southern California decades ago. All of this is clear to anyone who is even reasonably observant. So, when compared to (much of) California and other cities, Eugene may still seem/be relatively pristine. Mostly so in the winter/early spring months when it rains often. But, over the course of a decade - and especially per the last couple of years - I perceive that the air quality has worsened dramatically.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, it is wet, so there are mold spores. There are lots of plants, so there is pollen.

People heat with wood stoves, so there is smoke in the winter.

My opinion: it is not the best location for people with fussy or weak lungs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Find a spot in Oregon that you love, at about 2000'. You will be above most of the woodstove smoke......

imo, south side of mountain is best.
What towns in or near Willamette Valley fit that 2000' criteria. Thought most were well below.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
What towns in or near Willamette Valley fit that 2000' criteria. Thought most were well below.
Not in a town, & probably not many locations available in the Willamette Valley. You would need to search in person, some more rural mountainous forest areas in Oregon. We used to take vacations in different parts of Oregon, & look for the place of our dreams. We looked for years before we found the one for us. We drove around the backroads. Some properties just had a 'for sale' sign by the shale rock/gravel logging road driveway. It wasn't listed in the paper, or with a realtor.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Well thanks for asking I have never responded any posts before this i must have been outside . I moved here in 1969 from Bay area Brisbaine. I was 8. I think it rained until 1975. Now 50 I look back. Wood mills every where, field burning, timber slash burning after clear cutting. Everyone worked in the woods and used wood stoves. Now, no mills, very little field burning, wood stoves have restrictions, green days, yellow, and red days and catalytic devices like on cars, and very few people burn wood. The population has not grown, no mills, very little timber cutting, no industry. This is the most beautiful place on the west coast and when I am not here I am in Hawaii. No ****, I like the best beer, pretty girls, bike paths along the river, swimming, boating, snow skiing 45 minutes .way, ocean, salmon fishing, hunting, U of O sports. The new Knight arena hosts as good of an venue as any where in the country from Elton John to Cirque Du Soleil. We have the best farming/ gardening soil in the entire country! Don't forget the country fair just outside of Eugene, which brings people from all over the world, and from all walks of life. Very diverse community. Great place to live work, play,and raise a family! Do you think maybe some people would rather keep it all for them selves? come to Eugene and be happy, don't honk your horn. I love it here! My kids are grown, looking to move to Hawaii soon, and all ways coming back to Eugene. Yes it's that good! Thanks mom P.S. I wish people could see this as an opportunity to come together to make things even better like getting bike path from Eugene to coast and along river to Portland I only road my bike one time this year along the river but it should not be over looked as a jewel in the middle of our city save it enhance it lets get together try to get a house that get sun shine Regi

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Eugene has great air and water quality. It's a pretty clean city overall. Dont ttake what you see on Craigslist seriously, a lot of crazies on there.

There is a lot of pollen though, because of all the plants. And due to Eugene being in a Valley all the pollen stays trapped, it's particularly bad during the spring. If you don't have allergies now, you will get them when you move to Eugene. It is simply a matter of time. If you have respiratory issues this might bother you, especially between late March through mid June.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st63 View Post
Coming to this threat a bit late I'm afraid, but as someone born and raised in Eugene, who subsequently moved to San Francisco I think I can give you a little insight. The rant you saw does seem a little extreme, but the fact is that the air quality in Eugene IS poor. Yes, The U of O (my alma mater) does host world class track meets, but they only hold those in the small window of time where the air isn't quite so bad. The basic problem is that Eugene sits in a bowl, and the air doesn't move much. Winters (from October to March) are chock full of wood smoke and mold spores, and the pollen in spring is intolerable if you have any kind of sensitivity at all. I found it livable from July through the end of September. The other 9 months I found is miserable...and then there's the incessant rain. I moved to S.F 30 years ago and never had any more trouble with allergies...the bay air actually circulates! I have family there and still visit from time to time, but I wouldn't move back if you paid me.
I'm pretty much the same. Was raised in Eugene (though born on the east coast ) and it's no doubt my hometown, spent about 20 years of my life there (I'm 23 now) however I hated the dark gloomy weather and the lack of opportunities (in my experience anyway) so I moved down to the Bay Area of California, live about 30 minutes from San Francisco, though with traffic it's an hour.

I have family in both areas, but my parents live in Eugene. So I like to gouup and visit every now and then, take a stroll down memory lane a bit. Nice to visitbut I don't want to live there again. I have absolutely zero allergie problems here.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Conceived in Glenwood and spent a third of my life in Eugene at different times between 1947 and 2004. I now visit about two or three times a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area