Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM

118 posts, read 209,613 times

Advertisements

When I read this on radioreference.com, my jaw dropped, we had plans to move to the area, but being a 20+ years scanner hobbyist and always wanting to know whats going on, not to mention having been able to monitor public access back in the 80's saved my life at least twice, for I would have not known to avoid the situation, one of them was armed suspect in the area I was living in, I really find it off putting that they would do this and on top of it charge the media a fee to provide them with unencrypted listening units. My understanding is that the tax payer is footing the bill for the expensive encryption systems the city has been using, and soon the county Sheriff will follow, incidentally as of today the 25th the EPD dispatch channel will no longer be in the clear as it has it has been in the past, since when is a dispatch channel related to tactical operations? That's what the article says is one of the biggest reasons the PD is doing this, if you take a look at the thread on radioreference.com the consensus seems to be that most PDs that do this are trying to hide something and are trying to avoid transparency, my understanding is that the EPD has been making a valid attempt to provide more transparency in the wake of it's past abuses and also allows citizens to access their dispatch log online, albeit that information is delayed probably to protect the officers. So how are they going to gain the trust of their community by going the opposite direction?

I understand that in some cases this encryption is warranted where there is very high rates of violent crimes and organized crime, but are Eugene and Springfield, who has been completely encrypted for years, those kinds of places? At any rate a town or city that I can not monitor what is happening and keep my public servants accountable is not a place I wish my family to live in, therefore we will seek greener pastures, elsewhere, what's your take on all this cloak and dagger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Eugene has had an issue with the public monitoring their comms for years.

Also they have not been in the clear since 2003 when they went digital.

As an Amateur Radio Licensee I am exempt from the scanner laws in all fifty states if I am using my LICENSED Ham radio. But few Ham Radios are digital.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM

2003 That's a long time, nevertheless wouldn't you agree that encrypting the dispatch channel is overkill, it's not like gang units or SWAT will be using it, it's just everyday traffic. Here in Santa Fe NM, everything is pretty much in the clear including NCIC and the Santa Fe County Jail, they don't have anything to hide and they sure can afford encryption if they wanted it. Then there is Bernalillo County in ABQ, they have a poor history with the public and they aren't encrypted but they are using ProVoice, no scanner can monitor that, even though ABQ PD, with it's terrible history is available streamed online only because someone with a ProVoice radio is connected to the PD. Anyhow the times have truly changed since the early 80's and it's pretty much killing the hobby. So what's the point of not having scanner laws in a state if you can't listen to your local PD anyhow?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Eugene has had an issue with the public monitoring their comms for years.

Also they have not been in the clear since 2003 when they went digital.

As an Amateur Radio Licensee I am exempt from the scanner laws in all fifty states if I am using my LICENSED Ham radio. But few Ham Radios are digital.
You can use your computer as a dsp front end for your ham rig. A little software is all that is required.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I remember when Portland went to an 800Mhz trunked digital system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunked_radio_system
What a pain that was.

I had to buy a new scanner to keep up with what was going on.
After a while I realized that more and more stuff was being sent straight to the officer's computers.
Listening to the scanner was getting pretty boring.

I started listening to the police scanner less and less, and now I really don't listen to it at all for Portland police and fire stuff.
Other stuff, yes.

Everything that the police transmit should be available for the public to hear, real time.
There shouldn't be any problems with police being uncomfortable or having issues with the public listening in.
Believe me, if the police don't want the public to hear it, it won't get heard over the airwaves.

It can be argued that policy was put in place for "safety", whether it's the officer's or the public's.
For a "normal" person, listening to the police scanner really only satisfies curiosity.
On the other hand, I guess it is possible for crooks and bad guys to use it to their advantage.

People in an authoritive positions that have secrets, and work in secret, make me nervous.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-26-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You can use your computer as a dsp front end for your ham rig. A little software is all that is required.

Not Mobil. My post dealt with Mobile Exemption. Now it is it encrypted and trunked digital. They are selling keys to the press. I already have a key.

I do digital almost daily so I am well aware of the available software. Not the same as encrypted which they now do.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM

"As an Amateur Radio Licensee I am exempt from the scanner laws in all fifty states if I am using my LICENSED Ham radio. But few Ham Radios are digital."

Steve are you saying that if you have an Amatieur License, you are exempt in all 50 states and you can obtain a digital key? I have been putting off obtaining a Technicians license for some time now, is that sufficient? If so that would seriously motivate me, In FL where I lived for 10 years you are not allowed to have a scanner in your vehicle unless you are Press or An Amateur Operator. But you probably already knew that,

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM

No. I am exempt by federal law from Scanner regulations, just like your Florida comment. Yes Tech is suffcient.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
No. I am exempt by federal law from Scanner regulations, just like your Florida comment. Yes Tech is suffcient.
Well then I guess it's time to get to studying up, can you recommend a good mobile entry rig that won't cost and arm and a leg?
Thanks

Old 08-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Nope. There are hundreds. Avoid the Chinese, but thousands of hams are buying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area