Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times

Advertisements

And rule one for an Ex Con. Stop thinking like a con. Stop acting like a con. And get the chip off your shoulder. If you want a mainstream job, you need to be mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 3,463 times
Forrest Paint in Eugene works with ex cons. Give them a try.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM

94 posts, read 182,724 times
Hell no Eugene isn't, Sry but it's really hard to get a job in Eugene as is. 98% of the employers have a lot of people to choose from, so an Ex-Con would be rarely contacted. You'd be sending him to unemployment land, which isn't a good choice.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Actually there are several nonprofits in Eugene as well as other businesses who work with DHS and other organizations to help ex-cons and others who are struggling find work. Contact the DHS.

Attitude, ability, and personal behavior choices are the only things holding most of the unemployed back. If you can adjust your attitude and behavior so that you are a positive thinker, hard worker, and can behave in a professional manner, you should be able to find a job if you look hard enough.

So many people I have worked with, who were trying to get a job, fail because they had a negative attitude and a horrendous work ethic. Or they used foul language or they were resistant to change. You have to be positive, hard working, flexible, and willing to change yourself for the better. If you cannot do that, you are doomed to stay right where you are - where ever that may be.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I was told Eugene is criminal friendly, there are people on the city council who do not believe in locking people up, their jail is full and they have no intention of building a larger one - so the place to go if you are a criminal or druggie!

Springfield (located next to Eugene) on the other hand has built a larger jail and locks up criminals for any minor offense. Criminals don't like it there and have moved to Eugene.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 182,724 times
99% of the employers I've worked for (both direct and through the Temp Agency) in Eugene Don't hire ex-cons, even the employer I work for now. You have to be able to pass background check, and if they see anything on there that they don't like you won't hear from them again.
That might have been the way it was 7-10yrs ago when the economy was better, but now there's too many people lining up for work. He'd be sent to the back of the line.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I was told Eugene is criminal friendly, there are people on the city council who do not believe in locking people up, their jail is full and they have no intention of building a larger one - so the place to go if you are a criminal or druggie!
Does Eugene have a jail? I thought we used the Lane County jail? I thought the lack of beds/funding for that jail was a county issue not a city issue?

Springfield's jail is nice. It has 100 beds and I guess that makes it the largest city operated jail in Oregon? An architect who worked on the project told us that, don't know if it's true. Springfield was able to build that jail because the people of Springfield approved a bond measure. Eugene should follow Springfield's example.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I was told Eugene is criminal friendly, there are people on the city council who do not believe in locking people up, their jail is full and they have no intention of building a larger one - so the place to go if you are a criminal or druggie!. ... ...
Yes there are people on the council like that, but they don't make up the entire council. Also they have no say in who goes to jail and who gets out. That is a County function

You heard wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area