Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM

244 posts, read 667,594 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info on different areas.

When we go up for a visit, we plan on looking around at different apartments and seeing which ones we might want to rent at. My husband has certain things he looks for (safety and upkeep) and I have other things (a lot of research), so we tend to get a good overall picture. There have been some where we haven't even bothered to drive in the front entrance because it looked too seedy. And if we're taking a tour of an available unit, and neither of us asks any questions, we know without talking to each other that we don't want to live there.

I'm used to train noises, the last apartment we lived in was less than a mile from the tracks through town, and now we live about 1.5 miles away and still hear it. It's actually comforting to me, since it reminds me of spending the night at my grandparent's house.

The place I was looking at for our trip doesn't give an actual address, but says it's on Washington Street.

Biking sounds like it would be fun there. We don't have any bikes now, but we might later. Our son will need to learn how to ride eventually. Here, it's not that safe to ride your bike except on your own street. Drivers here don't pay attention at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post

The place I was looking at for our trip doesn't give an actual address, but says it's on Washington Street.
Washington down around 10th/Broadway is a decent hood (there's a nice B&B a block away on Lincoln) though I think technically you're out of the Whit at that point once you cross 7th.

If it says it's in the Whit on Washington I'd be hesitant to recommend it. For me the main issue is noise - depending on the address it's probably right along/under I-105 which I recall being fairly noisy. There's also a park that stretches along Washington (under the bridge) from 1st-5th that often serves as a camp for homeless or dedicated Occupy folks.

On the plus side, Skinner City Farm is right there, you're right at the base of Skinner's Butte, and you can easily meander to the river (and the discovery village playground for the kids) or into town.

On google maps put in 100 North Washington Eugene and call up street view. Do it again for 200 South Washington.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 PM

On the radius map (the only type given) it has W 28th in the middle. If I am allowed to post a link here, let me know and you can tell me what you think.

It's great having a local's perspective so I don't get myself in trouble!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 AM

They let me post links, so AFAIK they let anyone.

If the place were at 28th/Washington that's a long haul from the Whit, but it's a decent spot for getting to know parts of south Eugene. Short walk to the restaurants/shops on Willamette, and if you don't mind a bit of exertion you can walk up to the top of College Hill for a nice view of downtown and down the north side to Washington Park.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Here's the link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/162228?...uests=2&s=69aa

I might have been reading it wrong. I was looking at a couple of places, and this is the one that I liked the best in our price range.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Here's the link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/162228?...uests=2&s=69aa

I might have been reading it wrong. I was looking at a couple of places, and this is the one that I liked the best in our price range.
I didn't see a specific address but both the flora in the photo and comments (one comment mentions a hill, another specifically notes the Friendly neighborhood) indicate it is indeed down closer to 28th.

It won't be walkable into downtown, but as I said above, it's a nice area for walking generally and safer than the Whit. You can walk to groceries, or several decent restaurants. Drive-wise you're still only about 40 blocks from downtown.

And getting to VR to check out the area your husband is in will likewise be pretty easy, since you can basically go straight north onto 105 (with one little jog), and I think VR is the first exit. After you've done it once to figure out the jog it's maybe 15 min. Probably quickest from the cottage to go 1 block west to Jefferson, take that north to 13th, and then jog a half block east back to Washington north to 105.

Last edited by bler144; 12-20-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 AM

248 posts, read 452,160 times
bler144, if she's talking about a place at 28th how can it be 40 blocks from downtown? Downtown to me is 7th so that would be 21 blocks. Eugene is pretty small to walk or bike. Driving takes a while because the speed limit is very low and there are lots of lights, stop signs and pedestrians.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the information! Is there anything else I should know?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
What about Friendly neighborhood? My son says that a good place to live, and a direct shot to DT (about 3 miles away?).

Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
bler144, if she's talking about a place at 28th how can it be 40 blocks from downtown? Downtown to me is 7th so that would be 21 blocks. Eugene is pretty small to walk or bike. Driving takes a while because the speed limit is very low and there are lots of lights, stop signs and pedestrians.
I probably did overestimate at 40, but for a visitor's perspective I was thinking of downtown more as Hult Center/5th Street Market. 7th/Wash isn't exactly a destination location. But you're right - 30-35 would have been a better estimate of how far to where one might actually park and walk around DT.

Quote:
What about Friendly neighborhood?
I like friendly, though I don't think it's quite the bargain nbrhd it used to be. It used to be it was an affordable alternative tucked between College Hill and Crest Drive. It's still cheaper than those two places, but it's had a bit of price inflation because it is fairly desirable for people who are squeezed off the high prices on the Hill. Going back to the OP's budget, I'm not sure what that gets you in Friendly these days. Also not sure off-hand which school district that puts you in. Churchill/South?

Still, if they book that Air BnB place, they'll certainly have a good chance to evaluate Friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area