Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj85 View Post
Hi everyone,
Stuff that was on sale wasn't down here, stuff that was not on sale was more expensive. I suspect that it's a closer to the Ports thing where here it gets shipped in just a bit further to raise up some of the prices.

If I transfer to a different city outside of OR & leave the West Coast my pay will be less, but I'll have a lot more work and my net pay will be more.
On groceries, I think it depends what you're buying and which store you shop at. There are things we buy here that are $0.30-40 cheaper in Eugene, and vice versa, though some of it is probably store dependent. I haven't compared a Eugene Albertsons to a Portland Albertsons or respective Wincos.

Salary I think it depends on where you're going. Salaries in Chicago will be as strong or higher, but COL is about the same as PDX (and arguably more if you want a SFH specifically). Likewise, for major COL savings you're often talking about smaller metros, and taking a salary loss. But I have found a few places where salaries seem about equal (at least for some fields) with a COL savings, like KC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland. Joke about Cleveland all you want, but I think KC is under-rated (despite its flaws) and Pittsburgh has a lot of upside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM

94 posts, read 182,724 times
I'd love to get a 5th Wheel, it'd be so nice, but you're right you need a more powerful truck which uses more gas. Plus if anything needs fixed parts tend to be more expensive.
Like for example there's a big price difference between GMC Sierra 1500 and GMC Sierra 2500. Not sure if I could afford the 2500. It'd be so nice because then you don't have to worry about housing, you're completely mobile

So I forgot to mention what I noticed for housing up in Portland. It's cheaper in Milwaukee, Gresham, on the East side, etc. But Hillsboro has the lowest unemployment rate in the area, followed by Beaverton. I found all the job offers I was offered was in one or the other.
I was looking at rent being about $200/mth cheaper on the East side, but then you have to commute, costing you about $200/mth+ on a f/t basis. Not much savings so I chose to live in Hillsboro, and found a place 1/2 a mile from where my job was. But on the other hand it seemed like the more you spend on housing, then you start saving over $200/mth on housing.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj85 View Post
I'd love to get a 5th Wheel, it'd be so nice, but you're right you need a more powerful truck which uses more gas. Plus if anything needs fixed parts tend to be more expensive.
Like for example there's a big price difference between GMC Sierra 1500 and GMC Sierra 2500. Not sure if I could afford the 2500. It'd be so nice because then you don't have to worry about housing, you're completely mobile

So I forgot to mention what I noticed for housing up in Portland. It's cheaper in Milwaukee, Gresham, on the East side, etc. But Hillsboro has the lowest unemployment rate in the area, followed by Beaverton. I found all the job offers I was offered was in one or the other.
I was looking at rent being about $200/mth cheaper on the East side, but then you have to commute, costing you about $200/mth+ on a f/t basis. Not much savings so I chose to live in Hillsboro, and found a place 1/2 a mile from where my job was. But on the other hand it seemed like the more you spend on housing, then you start saving over $200/mth on housing.
Gresham isn't really that cheap anymore, particularly in the nicer neighborhoods. There are certainly some less expensive parts, but you have to note there are many more parts of Gresham that are truly bad compared to Hillsboro (or Eugene).

Possible you're seeing a bargain in a great place, also possible you're just seeing the higher crime rates in play. If you wanted to link a place or two it would be easier to say for sure.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
A 2500 isn't going to do it. and Gas is a poor choice. I get 19 to 21 with my diesel empty and no worse than 12 fully loaded with my 18,000 pound 5th wheel or 2.600 pound cabover camper. With gas that would be 8 or less loaded.

Crime in Gresham is an issue and the drive is a killer. Almost as deadly as the gangs and drug dealers. There is a reason the rent is cheaper. If you work westside, live westside.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Wow that's awesome, our GMC that we replaced the Toyota with I think only gets about 15mpg.
I don't really need a truck that big because I don't plan on taking the trailer with me everywhere I go like for the commute to work/shopping/etc, so I'd like to get a slightly smaller (I'm thinking extended cab style) truck but can still pull a trailer truck for better gas millage~ish. But I keep hearing that a Ford truck is better than GMC or Chevy for towing a trailer, is it true?

I did a few searches and housing in Greshem has really gone up. When I worked/lived in Hillsboro over and over and over many co-workers would tell me I should try Gresham that they make the commute because housing is cheaper. Just stay away from the sketchy parts. Thanks for warning me about Gresham, as I was thinking about trying out the East side to see how I'd like living there. Like Gresham or Oregon City, etc. Not Milwaukee as I have a harder time spelling that one.

I'm thinking that Phoenix, AZ might be a better option for housing. I did a quick search to make sure the job I'd transfer to is available there and it is

Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM

If you can tolerate the weather year round, go for it. I like Arizona, but I have liked everyplace I ever lived.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM

I don't know if I can handle the weather there, that's something that I'd have to go there and see. So far I've enjoyed every city that I've lived in also The areas I've had the best times in has been in the desert and Portland

Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM

Well Arizona has desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area