Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times

Advertisements

How does Eugene compare to Durham, NC? Both college towns. How do they compare culturally? Population? Amenities? Anyone here lived in both places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Nothing alike. I have been in both.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Nothing alike. I have been in both.
They both have avid local music scenes and have a major university as a key part of the local economy. Though I agree, broadly I haven't ever thought "these two places are alike!"

There are arguably many more differences than similarities.

Alas, thinking about Durham got me craving BBQ.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
More differences than similarities Durham probably better BBQ. Eugene has scenic beauty aspect hands down. Oregon over all beats NC in my personal opinion....except for winter weather but then NC summers can be brutal.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I think the population in the Durham area is somewhat different, than what I have seen in Eugene. Mainly because Durham is part of the Raleigh Durham Metro, and the communities all blend into one another. Eugene is off by itself and feels much more isolated than Durham.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 PM

86 posts, read 266,457 times
I think of Eugene as a college town, and Durham as a town with a college. Eugene feels a whole lot more like a mixture of Cary and Chapel Hill to me. Culturally, the large diversity of the Triangle makes Eugene pretty monotone by comparison. The diversity is primarily provided by the university population, as opposed to Durham which naturally has a large black population and then a lot of cultures which are drawn by the RTP and the colleges. Amenities are pretty much the same, which is to say that big boxes are ubiquitous.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,037 times
Can't speak about North Carolina because I have never been there, but I was raised in Eugene Oregon so I can tell you plenty about it.

Eugene is a pretty laid back hippie town. Most people have a '' live and let live''attitude, most of the time anyway. It's pretty liberal in its political leanings, but I've never felt like anyone was '' out to get me '' so to speak, as I'm a conservative. Most people don't really talk about politics too much in day to day life.

The landscape is beautiful, it's very lush and green. Lots of rolling hills and mountain views to admire, plenty of outdoor activities as well. Eugene has plenty of trails, hiking, it's a great bike town, camp sites, parks, etc... It's also got a decent amount of city activities too (I say decent because I'm a big city slicker, Eugene does have a good amount of things to do) plenty of restaurants and bars, music scenes etc... In town. Good sporting events with the Ducks, Autzen Stadium and the Matthew Knight Arena. One of the benefits of living in a college town I guess.

Weather wise I'm not a fan of. You better like rain because it rains A LOT! Its also pretty gloomy with several gray,cloudy days. Sometimes it goes on for weeks on end. Its depressing to some people, including myself. I had to take Vitamin D Supplements when I was living there. Mid Spring and Summer are amazing though, perfect weather and lots of sun!

Allergies will bother you here. It does not matter if you never had them before, you will get them if you move here. All the pollen gets stuck in the valley and makes life hell in the spring.

It does snow sometimes in the winter, but not too much usually (though this year it snowed A LOT, but it's not the norm).

Cost of housing is fairly decent, though property taxes are high. There is no sales tax however.

Eugene/Springfield is pretty safe overall. Violent crime does exist like anywhere else, but it's not very common. Most of the crime is usually property crime or theft. There are some meth heads downtown, these are the people who commit most of crime obviously. Don't talk to them, don't live around them, and certainly don't trust them. They're not violent, I've never been attacked or threatened by one, but they will try to ask you for money or a favor etc... Just tell them no and ignore them.

Overall Eugene Oregon is a good city, I'm glad I grew up there. Its my hometown. But I don't want to live there again. The weather sucks, and I felt like it was lacking in opportunities. I'm much happier here in sunny California. I have family in both states, like to visit Oregon and take a trip down memory lane, but that's about it.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
I would add, ..... Over All Oregon is a good State.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
I have lived in Eugene. I live next door to Durham close enough that I go there a lot. For one thing, Durham has a well known performing arts center. Eugene has a small art gallery on campus. That's about it. Oregon is conservative in some places just like North Carolina. NC has more diversity, Eugene is 80-90% white.

Why do you ask?

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Violent crime is much lower in Eugene.

2012 FBI statistics:

Durham, North Carolina
Violent Crime
Total violent crime 1,710
Violent crime rate, per 100,000 population 726
Population 235,563
Homicide 21
Homicide per 100,000 population 9
Forcible rape 63
Robbery 615
Aggravated assault 1,011

Eugene, Oregon
Violent Crime
Total violent crime 430
Violent crime rate, per 100,000 population 272
Population 158,043
Homicide 0
Homicide per 100,000 population 0
Forcible rape 72
Robbery 196
Aggravated assault 162
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area