Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM

30 posts, read 42,577 times

Advertisements

gemstone1, wow!! Thank you for the great information. I will definitely explore that and I agree with you about the logistics of connectivity. It's a very realistic approach to have. Alright, I thought it was weird Hughesnet's customer rep told me that! I am really learning about the satellite internet and wifi capabilities in rural towns. I am used to living in fairly big sized towns with convenient internet plans. Trade off for living in a gorgeous place, I suppose!

I definitely agree Oakridge is a gem and I don't mind driving to Costco in Springfield for a shopping trip weekly. I used to commute 2 hours daily at the crack of dawn for work in western Norway, which involved ferry service and a scenic, long winding road along a fjord in the mountains. I would feel right at home with Oakridge! I plan on doing some scenic drives and do outdoorsy activities with kiddo. I really want to instill the respect of nature's power and beauty in her. Family and friends are already planning on visiting us!

Westfir seems like a great little town and the new covered bridge is so breathtaking to see. I will definitely have to visit that area, too!

PNW-type-gal, I will live very near the main road, all pavement right to the house. I am really hoping that will help. It all is very dependent on Centurylink's speed available in my service area, I agree 100%. Good idea about using the library's wifi if I had to! I am doing assignments early this weekend so I don't have to worry about school next week as I get settled in and smooth out the bumps along the way! Gotta love the 'tele' aspect in some schools. I find that makes it easier for me to live in the town I like, even if it is rural, and not be so dependent on housing and reliable childcare close to campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Oh, and Charter does not cover my service area for internet but TV is fine. FYI! :P

Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,007,650 times
When we've been out camping in rural Oregon areas, we've often turned on our hotspot on our mobile devices and connected our laptops and other devices to the internet that way. Not sure that helps much, but just thought I'd share in case it did.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,275,656 times
Hotspots can be better that sats.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM

4,560 posts, read 6,259,925 times
"Alright, I thought it was weird Hughesnet's customer rep told me that!"

...the most probable reason they said that is that currently they have no installers who want to travel to Oakridge to do the installation. However my friends in Westfir, across the river, also had it in their home, so at one time they were installing in Oakridge. I was/am mobile, so my Hughesnet went with me, it was not affixed to a house, and I did the re-installation/aiming of the dish, etc......it just got to be too much of a hassle to deal with them, as they "do not support" the RV market...tho' a ton of RV'ers use it. As Steve said....satellite internet is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, unless that is the only option a person has.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 03-30-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When we've been out camping in rural Oregon areas, we've often turned on our hotspot on our mobile devices and connected our laptops and other devices to the internet that way. Not sure that helps much, but just thought I'd share in case it did.
I'll have to try that! Thank you.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,007,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregongirl007 View Post
I'll have to try that! Thank you.
Depending on what kind of service plan you have, just be careful to pay attention to how much data you're using.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Just to update on how Centurylink has been for me:

It is pretty decent---I can watch Hulu/Netflix smoothly on it even though this is a pretty rural area. I can even watch two movies at the same time without there being an issue. The reason for this is that Centurylink permits for more download speed than upload, which just works out for me fine.

I noticed my internet connection is affected sometimes when there is bad rain, but that hasn't happened often. Maybe 7 times so far in the last 9 months of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area