Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.

OK, so, I'm applying for colleges soon and I really like University of Oregon. The campus life seems great, I like the atmosphere of Eugene, everyone seems friendly, and the academics are right on par with me. But, the only negative thing is that, coming from SoCal, I don't know if I could handle all the rain. Has anyone on here moved from SoCal or the SouthWest to Eugene? How would you describe the difference, especially the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

136 posts, read 998,460 times
Default Great Town and School

My wife went to the U of O in the mid-80s and I went to the U of O Law School in the mid-90s. We both enjoyed the campus atmosphere and Eugene is a great college town.

I went to San Diego State in the early 80's on a track scholarship and moved to Portland after a stint in Tanzania with the Peace Corp. The rain is more of a constant drizzle rather than actual rain showers, its the fog and low winter cloud cover that get to me more so than the rain. The constant winter drizzle can grow old, but you get used to it. Just invest in some good rain gear, Gortex will be your friend. The U of O and Eugene have a live and let live atmosphere, very progressive and open-minded. There are groups, clubs and gatherings for just about anything. By and Large, the town embraces the university student population. Many of my fellow law school grad came up from California and many have chosen to remain in Oregon. My wife and I always highly recommend the U of O, its a quality school.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the reply.

You mention Eugene is progressive and open-minded. Are there any Jewish synagogues in Eugene b/c I'm Jewish.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 AM

136 posts, read 998,460 times
Default Not Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

You mention Eugene is progressive and open-minded. Are there any Jewish synagogues in Eugene b/c I'm Jewish.
I'm not a religious person, so I never took notice of what or what was not available as far as all the different religions go. For the most part in Eugene, people could care less what your belief system is, they just value the content of one's character over affiliation with a group. IMO all religions were universally accepted there, but I'm sorry not to be able to answer you question about synagogues.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I was just in Eugene today, I live in Portland, Eugene is a nice town, just the right size in many ways. I am not a religious person, but I am sure you would find a synagogue there. If you do a google seach I am sure one will pop up. I think I will do one for you and see.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I looked it up on google for you. There is the Temple Beth Israel Synagogue on West 25th st in Eugene. There was other information on google about the Jewish community in Eugene, maybe you will find more info there that is of interest to you. Good Luck, I am sure you will like Eugene. When the rain gets a bit much visit your family in California. The summers for the most part are beautiful up here.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Does it snow in Eugene? According to TWC, the average low in Jan. and Dec. is 33 and I'm sure it goes below that. So, with all the rain Eugene gets and if it goes below freezing, isn't snow possible?

Old 12-15-2007, 05:46 PM

It can and does snow a little, nothing really serious, most of the time it is just rain. If there was any snow, it would not be around but a day if that.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Cool, Eugene sounds perfect. I don't mind rain at all and I've always wanted to experience a little bit of snow while I'm walking around doing normal stuff. I don't think I could handle New England, though, with their Nor Easter coming.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 PM

I am originally from Massachusetts, believe me any snow here in Oregon cities is nothing compared to New England. You would have to go to Oregon's mountains to really get into some serious snow accumulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area