Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 40,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_uk View Post
We do have some team members who are veggie and one is allergic to dairy. Are these catered for well for the most part?

Some places in the world we've been to are a minefield.
Eugene has plenty of the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free thing going on, so you should have no problem here. Pretty much anywhere you go will have SOME sort of vegetarian options.

Oh, and if you all are going to be driving, keep in mind it's against state law to pump your own gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 5,757 times
Excellent thank you, and thanks to all.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
We do have some team members who are veggie and one is allergic to dairy. Are these catered for well for the most part?

Some places in the world we've been to are a minefield.

5th Street Market, and the little joint across from the house where Eugene Skinner died. Same side of the street as the jail.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM

248 posts, read 451,663 times
Steve, are you thinking of the Keystone or Morning Glory?Both great, especially for breakfast, although I just heard that the Keystone is closing after 35 years so don't know if they will be open when you get here. Lots of good places to be a vegetarian in town. Most restaurants have veg and vegan options, as well as gluten free. Cafe Yumm is good for a quick bite. I love Park Street for their organic selections. Here's a link to the Eugene Weekly's Chow addition for this summer that always has some great ideas about who's serving stellar food. Chow! EW's quarterly restaurant guide | eugeneweekly.com Sundance's salad bar is open until I think 10pm and has some great vegan and veggie options. Edited to add Vanilla Jill's - amazing cold treats and they now sell vegan and paleo fare as well. Two locations, one in Whitaker and one on Coburg Road.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Morning-glory.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
...........So with that in mind, what is worth seeing or doing if we have a spare half day?...............Where is good to eat of an evening?................
My friends from Scotland who visit Oregon, recommend the American style pizza and American style ice cream. They also always want the Deli Fried chicken.

I don't know who has the best pizza in Eugene, but most markets will carry Tillamook ice cream. I recommend the Utterly chocolate flavor. Tillamook also makes a coffee ice cream that is excellent. Friends from England are crazy for the rocky road flavor.

Any big grocery store has good fried chicken. Winco, Safeway, Albertson's, and Fred Meyers all sell good chicken. Winco also sells JoJo potatoes, which as batter fried potato wedges that go well with fried chicken.

This advice from Scotland: pack light but carry big suitcases. Oregon has no sales tax and price for everything are much lower in the USA than they are in Britain. If you have time for a little shopping, you can get stuff for so much cheaper that you can just about pay for your plane ticket. I see school clothes, ski jackets, Nike shoes, coffee and cigarettes packed and taken home to Britain. lots of electronics, too, but we are on a different electrical system. Some electronics are duel system and some aren't.

I left converters in Britain, so my friends buy any sort of electronics here. The one that surprised me was several suitcases full of Christmas decorations. They kept saying they couldn't believe how cheap and how much variety. Most of the computer stuff is duel systems electric. Apparently TVs are some different sort of system so the movies (videos) are not interchangeable between our countries.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you have sponsors here in the USA, try to get someone with a membership to take you shopping at Costco for jackets, shoes, coffee, cigarettes. Costco was where all the Christmas ornaments got purchased.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 5,757 times
This is great, thanks again

We're travelling out tomorrow, I'll definately take a few things out of my suitcase to make room!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Right by UofO on Franklin Ave. is Market of Choice which has a great food selection, a large organic selection, awesome deli, and some other really good amenities. Directly behind the Market of Choice can be found Growler University, a newer taphouse that boasts many fine ales, porters, stouts, IPA's and other sometimes hard to find stuff. Directly across Franklin Ave from Market of Choice is Empire Buffet, all you can eat Chinese place w/ a nice guy that does various types of sushi rolls in the evenings. All three are within 200 feet of each other. Cheers!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Check out the Saturday Market....

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area