U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 AM

7 posts, read 5,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for a few recommendations. I'm travelling out next week with a group of technical reps (about 30 of us). We'd love to take your advice on a few things if possible. We don't get a lot of free time, perhaps a morning on a couple of weekend days. Generally of an evening there'll be a few groups of 5-10 who wander off in different directions. Some of us enjoy staying out till the small hours. We'd be walking or using public transport mostly.

Our accommodation is near to the University and our work days are at the Hayward Field. One some days we will finish the day quite late!

So with that in mind, what is worth seeing or doing if we have a spare half day?
Where is good to eat of an evening?
Where can we get decent beer at a good price? (The Holy Grail question)
Are there any supermarkets near to the Hayward Field?

I'd be most grateful for any of your thoughts.

Cheers
James
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM

22,417 posts, read 29,787,524 times
You'd probably like Falling Sky Brewing for both food and beer.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 PM

233 posts, read 371,046 times
There are a couple of "grocery" stores within walking distance. Market of Choice is on Franklin, great store ~ organic and non-organic, good coffee, munchies, salads, etc. Safeway on 18th ~ don't know too much about this store, seems like a typical Safeway the few times I've ventured in. Sundance at 24th and Hilyard very crunchy health food store with awesome fruit, veggies, munchies and healthy salad/soup bar.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Thanks folks, useful info so far.
The Market of Choice is right near where we are staying so that works out perfect.

For nightlife, is there much to see over in Springfield?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM

There are many little pubs and such around the UO Campus. I don't think you'll have to venture into Springfield. I'm a old married Mom so don't hit the pubs. Just searching on yelp.com for pubs in Eugene I came up with a pretty highly rated list: Pub Eugene, OR

I'm not sure if Citydata.com will let me post the yelp list, if not go to yelp, search Pubs and Eugene OR and voila! We have lots of Micro-Breweries that have their own little pubs, many with tasty food offerings.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Thanks for that

Are there any places or areas to avoid, or in which we should take more care?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 PM

Whitaker is pretty grungy (where many of the pubs are) but if you're used to being in a city of any size Eugene is fairly safe. Just keep your wits about you and hang with a friend or two when you are out late and you'll be fine. Also downtown the west side of Broadway (also cool tea and coffee shops and bars) is pretty grungy. Eugene has a pretty large homeless and transient population for a city of its size but for the most part they won't bother you.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:39 PM

23 posts, read 36,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_uk View Post
For nightlife, is there much to see over in Springfield?
Strip clubs...

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltking View Post
Strip clubs...
Could be useful if all else fails.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 AM

We do have some team members who are veggie and one is allergic to dairy. Are these catered for well for the most part?

Some places in the world we've been to are a minefield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area