Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 AM

88 posts, read 253,109 times

Advertisements

I am in college right now, but I am planning on moving out of state after I graduate and Eugene seemed like a nice place, but I have a few questions.

1. Are there any job opportunities for people working in PR, marketing or anything like that?

2. Is it a vegetarian friendly town?

3. I know it rains and snows, but I was wondering how extreme the weather really gets.

4. How safe of a town is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 AM

22 posts, read 69,725 times
My 2 cents-

1. I believe you will face stiff competition from other college grads(UofO) partly due to the fact that the business/marketing depts are strong and popular. Eugene has quite a limited economy, with a lot of educated people who love staying after school.

2. YES YES YES...vegan too. People love everything green here! Sure, may not have the selection of a Seattle/Portland/SF in terms of restaurants, but for a small city it is awesome. Look up the Saturday Market for a fun, earthy experience. And this is coming from a meat eater

3. The weather sucks, but like life, all relative. No extreme heat like PHX or 20ft snow storms like the midwest. Worst part IMHO? LACK OF SUN. Basically cloudy 9 months out of the year with beautiful, dry, not-too-warm summers. I think the EUG gets roughly 40-45 inches of rain a year. It will snow 1 or 2 days on average every winter, tends to fall in Jan or Feb in my experience.

4. In my 10+ years of living there, probably 1 murder a year. Meth is a problem, but seems like it got better. More petty crime than anything. Quite a few transients/homeless. I would walk anywhere(day or night) in town and never feel unsafe. Can't say this about my old town in CA.

Overall, I would guess if you moved your toughest challenge would be finding a job in your field. Obviously I am no expert, but I write this just through mine and others similar experiences. If you have a hard time finding something in Eugene, you could always think Portland, like many of the college grads in Eugene do.

Good luck, hope you have a successful move if you do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area