U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,053,343 times

Advertisements

My husband is out of town on business, in the Seattle area, and he can't wait to come home to Eugene. His hotel is 11 miles from where he needs to be each day for work, yet with traffic it is taking him 45 minutes or more to get there each day - and he is leaving very early to try to beat the traffic. He also had to do some shopping while there, and totally forgot about the 8.5% sales tax. He was really bummed at how much extra money he was having to pay, it actually does really add up. We lived there for a year, and were able to move back to Eugene, luckily. We had been back in Eugene just long enough for him to forget a little bit how bad things are there. We so love living in Eugene. It's the perfect sized town. The people are so friendly in Eugene. We even have a street and neighborhood called friendly! Our kids are really happy here. We love all the hiking and biking trails. We love the really eclectic, artsy, one-of-a-kind shopping experiences like the Saturday Market, Holiday Market, and the 5th St. Market... We love having access to the symphony, art museums, a really wonderful planetarium, ballet, lots of really good live theater, arts classes, tons of recreation opportunities, and lots more. I know Eugene isn't a perfect match for everybody, but we think it's the perfect place for us to raise our children. We feel like our kids are really lucky to have the opportunity to grow up in such a beautiful place - one that is so nurturing to your soul. Once we've raised our kids, we're looking to either coastal or mountain living. Not sure. Anyway... karenzahner, I LOVE OREGON, too. I may be a native Texan, but Oregon is my home. I think the home you choose for yourself is more meaningful and held more dear to your heart than the home you were born into without any choice in the matter!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 PM

100 posts, read 279,836 times
Hey, I live in Wa do you have any extra sun you could send my way!!!! Does Oregon get more sun than washington

Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 36,815 times
Hello Jeff Here,
I do believe we have less rain than Washington. I have lived here 43 years of the 50 I have been here in this crazy world. Our problem in the valley is fog. This year has been good. The fog has lifted usually by 11.00am. Our fall and winter is usually clear and cold. With rain very little snow in the valley. Jeff

Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 AM

21,146 posts, read 39,388,544 times
I lived in Springfield back in 1990 and worked in Eugene.

What struck me about the place were the low wages and (relatively) high rentals.

Suffice to say: the cost of living is comparable to the Phx (Az) area but wages here are much higher.

Sad about Eugene because the place is beautiful. Just that looks can be deceiving.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohelo View Post
Yes, I have to agree with Kikbaq. Be aware of the changes in Eugene. The City just sent police to study what a town in AZ is doing with over crowded jails and no support ($) from voters for law enforcement. The town in AZ has a tent city for prisoners. Eugene is headed for more problems and everyone is in total denial. Keep informed to keep safe and make the right vote(s).
A heart break for me this past week was when I visited a park bench that is dedicated to a dear friend who passed away last year and found it sprayed with black paint with the worst language. I walked all along the East side of the River (north of Valley River) and ever park bench, wall, and picnic table was sprayed with remarks about killing people of a certain religion or sexual orientation. Not such a peace loving community.
You must be discussing Sheriff Joe of Maricopa County (Phoenix).

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Update, since my last post the gas has been siphoned from my car twice.

Like I said before, skip Eugene and head to Corvallis.
May I ask what is so much better about Corvallis? Note I lived in Springfield back in 1990 so I have/had a working knowledge of the area.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM

54 posts, read 397,883 times
Hi,
Well, it won't be long and the home prices will align with the wages. The bubble in the Willamette Valley is slowly deflating compared to the massive POP in CA. From what I have heard the RE market in Eugene has about 9 to 10% drop in prices to go. My hubby talked with a couple that recently moved to Eugene from Spokane and are currently struggling with the cost of living in Eugene. They are thinking of returning to Spokane.
Corvallis had a bigger swing (upward) in home prices so it will take Corvallis longer to get their RE prices down to reflect wages. I think Sperlings (Best Places Research) picked Corvallis as the #1 place to raise a family/retire and up went the home prices with the spot light on this "safe college town".
Best recommendation is to be patient about making any moves at this time. Research, rent, visit, interview schools, check out crime rates, don't listen to realtors who say "the bottom is in" because even the Harvard economist don't have a clue about our current financial crisis.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,109 times
I lived in Oregon for 42 yrs. (Albany) know many many friends that live in Eugene and DH has worked in Eugene, and that town SUCKS.
It didn't surprise me none that the police wouldn't take finger prints when your stuff was stolen. That's all that town is good for. There was 1 of the biggest druggies that lived just north of Eugene and the police wouldn't do nothing about him.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM

30 posts, read 74,876 times
Well have to say reading everyone post they have pretty much said it The cops here are crooked for the most part. The housing is high the wages are low even when it is good the wages are still low and take for ever to get a rasie with most company's But people for the most part are great here it is a Beautiful area to live you have every thing from the coast to the mountains lakes streams hiking biking hunting fishing. But if you ever want a good paying job research that well and see which ones do pay well because they are far and few for the most they do not and if you want to retire well it is give and take no matter were you go live here work tell you are dead unless you get lucky are work some were else and retire with some time left to go have some fun and then you can move back here and work only part time Beacuse it is very expensive to live here no matter what you read.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,532 times
I'm also doing research on moving to Eugene in 2010, and I have to say, I was super excited when I first began, but after reading all of these posts about the horrible crime and useless government, I can't see how I'm any worse off staying in Houston. I can't stand Texas and we really don't fit in here (Austin is wonderful, though), and while I don't care much for enforcers of any sort, at least I know the cops will respond here in a rather timely manner if something untoward happens. I am totally familiar with "Drag Rats" and homeless youth in a downtown area, Austin has tons of them, but they don't do much harm and tend to form their own families and stick together. They generally live close to the University, but I have never heard of any trouble with them either except that they are constantly asking for change.

Are things at least improving in Eugene? Is there no way to oust the lackluster mayor and get a better one, or are the people of Eugene too laid back or too busy with activism in some other area that they can't be bothered? Is it likely the real estate market will be somewhat back to normal again by 2010? We actually would prefer to live somewhere on the outskirts, maybe just purchase land and build a small house, and not in Eugene proper, but I have a feeling we'll be spending a great deal of time in your beautiful city anyway and all this bad news is making me think to look elsewhere.

I was also wondering if there was any way to find out more about Eugene's different neighborhoods? Here in Houston they are so large sometimes that they might have their own websites for the community, but I doubt that's the case there. I have heard people mention that West Eug. and downtown are areas to stay away from, and that south and north of downtown are generally pretty safe, but we aren't looking for a traditional suburban neighborhood, don't have children to think of, and don't have a heck of a lot of money, either. Is there a (relatively) safe AND affordable neighborhood in Eugene? I have heard that the Whiteaker community tends to be more "hippie", but it is also close to Skinner Butte Park, which I have heard from these forums is a scary place.

Last edited by dawdler; 02-18-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area