U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Well I orgignally was set on moving to Eugene because I was very excited about how many conveniences there are with a great community of "earthy" people.

I went to Scorecard Home and found out that there is more methanol pollution there...I think 1.4 million pounds per year, that where I currently live in Chandler which is a suburb or Phoenix, AZ...which is only 240K pounds per year. I have read that it is because the Willamette(sp?) Valley acts as a sort of funnel and funnels all of the pollution right into Eugene.

It would go against my better judgement to move there now.

I researched some cleaner places in Oregon, and I wanted to see if anyone had some input on where in these counties there were affordable places with conveniences and an earthy laid back community.

I don't want to be in a town that is too small for fear that my kids will be bored out of their skulls, I am very concerned with avoiding places where there are meth problems. I also want to be no more than a 30 minute drive to Natural food stores, and other shopping. I have a 15 month old and a 3 year old, and I plan to homeschool or go the private school route so public school districts aren't really a concern for me. I also need to be in a place where I can garden.

These are the counties with the least contamination.

Wasco County
Deschutes
Wasco Hood River
Sherman
Crook

Thanks in Advance!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Bend Oregon
480 posts, read 2,298,920 times
Reputation: 290
Unfortunately, all of Oregon struggles with meth addiction. Though it's a widespread problem throughout the U.S., I think it is bigger in Oregon than other places. That said, it's not as if there's a mth head on each and every block. From the other things that you mention that you are looking for, I suggest checking into The Dalles (Wasco County). There is a natural foods store called Healthy Harvest and 17 miles away in Hood River there is another natural foods store (Mother's Market). Also, there are some produce cooperatives in the area. The growing season should be decent as the area is very agricultural (lots of cherries and other fruits). There is a community college and the Columbia River Gorge Discovery Center, lots of history and plenty of outdoor activities to interest children. My grandmother lived in The Dalles many years ago and I thought it was a really pretty town. You also list Crook and Deschutes Counties. Crook County's largest town is Prineville. It has a little natural food store and is only 35 miles from Bend where we have a Wild Oats (becoming Whole Foods). Two considerations about Central Oregon. The growing season is shorter than other places and the area (especially around Bend, Sunriver and Sisters) is expensive. You could check out Redmoind (Deschutes County) in addition to Prineville, but from your description of what you are looking for, you might start first with The Dalles. Also Prineville is going to be conservative so it may not qualify for what you're wanting in something earthy
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,785 posts, read 16,671,524 times
Reputation: 10649
Methanol has nothing to do with meth (short for methamphetamine). Methanol, in this area, is generally in the atmosphere because it's a byproduct of pulp and plywood mills.

In general, to find somewhere with very low pollution levels, you need to be somewhere that industry and population aren't.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Bend Oregon
480 posts, read 2,298,920 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Methanol has nothing to do with meth (short for methamphetamine). Methanol, in this area, is generally in the atmosphere because it's a byproduct of pulp and plywood mills.

In general, to find somewhere with very low pollution levels, you need to be somewhere that industry and population aren't.
Sounded to me like the person was concerned with both pollution (methanol) and drugs (meth). I agree, stay away from large populations to avoid pollution, but meth problems in a community may not be as easy to detect. From what I understand, places with higher property crimes and identiy theft are where you will find more meth problems.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Methanol has nothing to do with meth (short for methamphetamine). Methanol, in this area, is generally in the atmosphere because it's a byproduct of pulp and plywood mills.

In general, to find somewhere with very low pollution levels, you need to be somewhere that industry and population aren't.
lol...I know methanol has nothing to do with Methamphetamines. Two totally different things, two totally different concerns.

Not sure if I really agree with having to be away from industry and population to achieve low pollution levels, since the Phoenix area with about 4x the population of Eugene, has measurements of 241k pounds per year of methanol, as opposed to Eugene's 1.4 million pounds per year...so that theory, while it does make common sense, I am finding out is not always the case.

Thanks for your response though!

Last edited by earthmama2organic1z; 01-17-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Unfortunately, all of Oregon struggles with meth addiction. Though it's a widespread problem throughout the U.S., I think it is bigger in Oregon than other places. That said, it's not as if there's a mth head on each and every block. From the other things that you mention that you are looking for, I suggest checking into The Dalles (Wasco County). There is a natural foods store called Healthy Harvest and 17 miles away in Hood River there is another natural foods store (Mother's Market). Also, there are some produce cooperatives in the area. The growing season should be decent as the area is very agricultural (lots of cherries and other fruits). There is a community college and the Columbia River Gorge Discovery Center, lots of history and plenty of outdoor activities to interest children. My grandmother lived in The Dalles many years ago and I thought it was a really pretty town. You also list Crook and Deschutes Counties. Crook County's largest town is Prineville. It has a little natural food store and is only 35 miles from Bend where we have a Wild Oats (becoming Whole Foods). Two considerations about Central Oregon. The growing season is shorter than other places and the area (especially around Bend, Sunriver and Sisters) is expensive. You could check out Redmoind (Deschutes County) in addition to Prineville, but from your description of what you are looking for, you might start first with The Dalles. Also Prineville is going to be conservative so it may not qualify for what you're wanting in something earthy

Thanks Bendite!

I have done some checking into Hood River, which has very low levels of pollution, but I will have to check into The Dalles.

I did read that Hood River is very windy year round.

I do want to be close to jobs so the smaller towns are great as long as they have good job markets or are close to places with good job markets. I am professional by day and hippie mama on nights and weekends. I works from hojme and will continue to do the same thing from there, but my husband needs to find a job making at least $45k per year. He is a property manager for 6 housing developments here in AZ, but knows Auto Body work, was a limo driver, and would do well in any job where he would be dealing with people...very much an outgoing people person! So I just have to make sure we don't end up in podunk USA, or he will not be a happy camper!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Sounded to me like the person was concerned with both pollution (methanol) and drugs (meth). I agree, stay away from large populations to avoid pollution, but meth problems in a community may not be as easy to detect. From what I understand, places with higher property crimes and identiy theft are where you will find more meth problems.
Great idea to check those statistics Bendite! I did find a site that listed busted meth houses by county.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12
Also Prineville is going to be conservative so it may not qualify for what you're wanting in something earthy[/quote]

I am a bit conservative myself I would say. I don't use drugs (prescription, over the counter, or recreational!), don't drink alcohol, I believe in family values, etc. BUT...I don't go to church ( believe in live and let live theory), I am a Ron Paul supporter, but if he had a chance I would vote for Kucinich, I don't dress conservatively (more hippieish), etc. So I guess you could say I am a conservative liberal...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 13,487,567 times
Reputation: 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama2organic1z View Post
Also Prineville is going to be conservative so it may not qualify for what you're wanting in something earthy
I am a bit conservative myself I would say. I don't use drugs (prescription, over the counter, or recreational!), don't drink alcohol, I believe in family values, etc. BUT...I don't go to church ( believe in live and let live theory), I am a Ron Paul supporter, but if he had a chance I would vote for Kucinich, I don't dress conservatively (more hippieish), etc. So I guess you could say I am a conservative liberal...[/quote]

Wow, thought we had you all sold on Eugene, do not rule it out, the pollution levels may be worse seasonally. Now for your other considerations the dalles may be the best for you or look up Stevenson Wa on the other side of the gorge, all gorge weather is rougher and harsher than the valley, and the other poster is right about the growing season, once you cross over into eastern Or it is a different climate. Have you looked at Mt. Angle, Donald, Woodburn, Albany? good luck
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
 
32 posts, read 108,260 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I am a bit conservative myself I would say. I don't use drugs (prescription, over the counter, or recreational!), don't drink alcohol, I believe in family values, etc. BUT...I don't go to church ( believe in live and let live theory), I am a Ron Paul supporter, but if he had a chance I would vote for Kucinich, I don't dress conservatively (more hippieish), etc. So I guess you could say I am a conservative liberal...
Wow, thought we had you all sold on Eugene, do not rule it out, the pollution levels may be worse seasonally. Now for your other considerations the dalles may be the best for you or look up Stevenson Wa on the other side of the gorge, all gorge weather is rougher and harsher than the valley, and the other poster is right about the growing season, once you cross over into eastern Or it is a different climate. Have you looked at Mt. Angle, Donald, Woodburn, Albany? good luck[/quote]

I was VERY sold on Eugene! Really disappointed! The areas around Bend aren't too bad, but I hear it is really mostly populated by CA people now and housing is rediculous...I have to stay around $300k or less, and want to be among the real Oregonians

I will check out these other cities you listed, thanks!

I am also in the middle of doing some research on the faultlines in Oregon. What are your thoughts there?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top