Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,252 times

Advertisements

I am looking into relocating to Oregon from Colorado. I've done some preliminary research, but need some help! I am looking at the Eugene area because my boyfriend needs access to the water and I need access to a good paying, professional job. I love to hike and ski and need to be able to do one or the other. We DO NOT want to live in a city, but would like reasonable commuting access to it for work. I've gone on Craigslist and the housing in the rural areas looks like it's non-existing. We also need housing that allows pets. I have a cattle dog/husky mix and my boyfriend has an american bulldog. We also both have a cat. I don't want to be some place where it is cold and/or rains all the time. Being outdoors and enjoying nature is VERY important to me. Any thoughts or ideas out there?? It would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Eugene is a city, though depending on where in Lane County you wanted to be density (and relatedly, access to services) can vary greatly.

In the rural areas there are rentals, just fewer of them, precisely for the reason there's less housing/fewer people there to start with.

You say you don't want to be somewhere where it rains all the time, but fairly constant cloud cover/precipitation is the norm between say Xmas and Easter. Add or subtract a month on either end depending on the weather that year. Summers tend to be very dry, and winters tend to be wet.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
My husband and I moved to Bend, OR from Colorado 7 years ago. It was a pretty difficult transition for me, as I grew up in CO and was used to the sunshine, especially in the winter. There is absolutely no way I would be able to survive in Eugene. If you love the CO sun, you will most likely be miserable in Eugene. You also mention you do not want to live in a city, so are you wanting to live rural? I believe it rains even more the further out from the valley you get into the Cascades or the coast range. While Bend may be tough in terms of jobs, you might want to consider it, as it might fit both your needs a little better.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
My advice would be to flood both the Bend area and the Medford area with job applications, then move to which ever place you get hired in. With your pet situation, take pretty much what ever rental you can get. And then later on, pounce on the ideal rural rental whenever it becomes available.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
The spring/summer/fall are very similar. You'd be trading the cold, windy winter for mild and rainy. The rain isn't harsh, cold downpours as you're conditioned to in Denver. It's more of a constant drizzle. I've actually been out hiking and biking during the winter, even in the rain. Skiing would have to happen somewhere else... maybe Bend or Mt. Hood. But then you're probably used to driving to Summit Co. to ski anyhow...

Another plus is the wind isn't bad as you see in Denver, FoCo etc. In fact, after living in Wyoming the wind in western Oregon is pretty much non existent. Plus you have the ocean close by.

Eugene has plenty of rural area close by, and commuting in the winter isn't an issue because you won't be dealing with snow and bad road conditions. Check out Veneta, Junction City, etc. I actually lived in Albany and had neighbors that drove to Eugene every day... and my boss at the time drove up from Springfield every day.

All in all I like Oregon way better... but I'm more of an ocean, seafood, etc. person.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
The spring/summer/fall are very similar. You'd be trading the cold, windy winter for mild and rainy. The rain isn't harsh, cold downpours as you're conditioned to in Denver. It's more of a constant drizzle. I've actually been out hiking and biking during the winter, even in the rain. Skiing would have to happen somewhere else... maybe Bend or Mt. Hood. But then you're probably used to driving to Summit Co. to ski anyhow...

Another plus is the wind isn't bad as you see in Denver, FoCo etc. In fact, after living in Wyoming the wind in western Oregon is pretty much non existent. Plus you have the ocean close by.

Eugene has plenty of rural area close by, and commuting in the winter isn't an issue because you won't be dealing with snow and bad road conditions. Check out Veneta, Junction City, etc. I actually lived in Albany and had neighbors that drove to Eugene every day... and my boss at the time drove up from Springfield every day.

All in all I like Oregon way better... but I'm more of an ocean, seafood, etc. person.
I'd agree with this. Colorado is OK for mountains, but is seriously lacking for water options. The Colorado landscape tends to be brown and barren compared to the greenness of Oregon. Oregon weather totally beats Colorado in every way except for total sunshine. Oregon just offers so many more options for outdoor activities then Colorado IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area