Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 PM

920 posts, read 931,431 times

Advertisements

Hello I wondered about the Mountain Biking in Oakridge Area. Thank you ahead of time

We are getting back into it right now, and within a year, have some money to re-locate

I understand about the jobs, but my question is,

1. what percentage of the locals are into Mountain Biking?

2. how much of the economy is dependent upon the Mountain Bikers aka tourism?

3. how is the weather? How many months does it rain versus it being sunny?

Right now, we are experiencing 99-105 degrees so are only able to bike after 10pm when it sort of cools down. The heat's been really affecting us, especially since our ethinicities do better in colder weather.

Thanks again, I appreciate any input. I understand these are very fluid questions, more like estimates so any response is appreciated. We'd like to move out of California, preferably but if we remain, are also looking into Crescent City. We have a little over 200 thousand to send on a house so not much $ really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
There's a small but engaged mt. bike community in Oakridge. I can't give you a percentage. It's my opinion that this group exaggerates its impact on the local economy.

Oakridge is kind of stuck between a lot of other places that have more to offer tourists.

This place seems to do well; it's patronized by a mixture of recreational mountain bikers and locals.

Brewers Union Local 180

Mountain Bike Oregon is popular. It seems pretty well-run.

A Three-Day Mt. Biker's Dream Vacation! | Mountain Bike Oregon

200K will get you a fairly decent home in Oakridge. The market's still kind of slow there.

It doesn't rain for months and then get sunny for months; Oakridge's weather mixes it up. You'll probably find yourself putting your bike away around the end of Oct. and taking it out in May, though.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There's a small but engaged mt. bike community in Oakridge. I can't give you a percentage. It's my opinion that this group exaggerates its impact on the local economy.

Oakridge is kind of stuck between a lot of other places that have more to offer tourists.

This place seems to do well; it's patronized by a mixture of recreational mountain bikers and locals.

Brewers Union Local 180

Mountain Bike Oregon is popular. It seems pretty well-run.

A Three-Day Mt. Biker's Dream Vacation! | Mountain Bike Oregon

200K will get you a fairly decent home in Oakridge. The market's still kind of slow there.

It doesn't rain for months and then get sunny for months; Oakridge's weather mixes it up. You'll probably find yourself putting your bike away around the end of Oct. and taking it out in May, though.
Thank you Metlakatla

The brewers union not too into since we are non-drinkers.

The Mtn Bike Oregon I will consider for sure. Depends if we have the funds about that time.

Within about 6 months, we'll be free to take a trip up there. Nice to know we should be able to
get a house for that, there are just few homes on the market right now so I couldn't tell....we also might
just buy land then place a mobile home on it while we build, then after that is complete and we move in, rent the Mobile out. Thanks again

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,800 times
This site may prove helpful.

Hiking Trails, Mountain Bike Trails & Trail Maps | Trails.com

Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
just buy land then place a mobile home on it while we build, then after that is complete and we move in, rent the Mobile out. Thanks again
A lot of rentals tend to sit empty up there, and I'm not sure it's going to change much. Could be wrong, though, but I'd only do this if I weren't figuring rental income into my budget.

The pub also has pretty decent food and nonalcoholic beverages, and it's family-friendly. There's also a little bakery nearby where a lot of the mt. bikers go called Lion Mountain Bakery. Fabulous food, good coffee.

You might also look at property in Westfir.

If you do decide to work in Eugene/Springfield, it's not a fun drive during black ice season. There's a bus you can take called the Diamond Express that's five bucks round trip.

As far as Mt. Bike Oregon, I think if you volunteer to help with that, which would be a good way to get to know the local mt. bikers. You might want to stay at the Oakridge Motel while you visit because the last I knew, the guy who runs Mt. Bike Oregon also owns that.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
.......place a mobile home on it while we build, then after that is complete and we move in, rent the Mobile out. ........
You might run into resistance about having two residences on one piece of land.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A lot of rentals tend to sit empty up there, and I'm not sure it's going to change much. Could be wrong, though, but I'd only do this if I weren't figuring rental income into my budget.
We were concerned they wouldn't rent to out of towners...it might be our preference to rent for a while. So this is sad but hopeful.
Quote:
The pub also has pretty decent food and nonalcoholic beverages, and it's family-friendly. There's also a little bakery nearby where a lot of the mt. bikers go called Lion Mountain Bakery. Fabulous food, good coffee.
Great to know
Quote:
If you do decide to work in Eugene/Springfield, it's not a fun drive during black ice season. There's a bus you can take called the Diamond Express that's five bucks round trip.
More good to know info. I guess seasonal jobs might be a good avenue also. We will need to work at least, part time

Quote:
As far as Mt. Bike Oregon, I think if you volunteer to help with that, which would be a good way to get to know the local mt. bikers. You might want to stay at the Oakridge Motel while you visit because the last I knew, the guy who runs Mt. Bike Oregon also owns that.
Yes that is how I began in the Sacramento Wheelman. And I will surely stay at the Oakridge when we go to visit. He might even know of rentals or somewhere to stay if we want to come back and stay a month to get a feel for the town. Sounds like a great resource no matter what. I used to work in Tourism for our County, doing public relations.

I did get the impression it was pretty dead, but it has so much potential my guess is after some years the people will be there. There are just so many people nowadays and it's in a great location.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 06-20-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You might run into resistance about having two residences on one piece of land.
Hmmm....it's so deserted there. We will choose to live on many acres

I don't think this will be an issue but hopefully, we'll never need to go that route. I think we can pull it off
with getting jobs part time and be ok. Even if they are just seasonal, that should pull us through.

Another idea is to keep two homes, one here for the months of May-October when our business is busy.
Then travel back there for the remaining 6 months and live

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 06-20-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 AM

281 posts, read 712,863 times
The vast majority of people who ride in Oakridge live in the Eugene/Springfield area, which is only 45 minutes away, has more job opportunities, bike shops and a very active bike scene. If you're looking for a smaller town with more land, you could move someplace between Eugene and Oakridge, like Pleasant Hill, Dexter, Lowell or Fall Creek, which would give you access to both riding and jobs. You might also find this site helpful Disciples of Dirt

Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
The vast majority of people who ride in Oakridge live in the Eugene/Springfield area, which is only 45 minutes away, has more job opportunities, bike shops and a very active bike scene. If you're looking for a smaller town with more land, you could move someplace between Eugene and Oakridge, like Pleasant Hill, Dexter, Lowell or Fall Creek, which would give you access to both riding and jobs. You might also find this site helpful Disciples of Dirt
Thanks! Good thinking about jobs. We may need to just live there half the year, and work here in California.

I know I'd never put my bike on the car and go ride. I'd only ride if I could leave directly from our house so it appears Oakridge is the place. I've learned from experience already when we moved, I got out of shape for years. Now that we are back in an area I can leave the house safely, (before we lived in front of a busy Highway) I am back in good shape again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area