Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 29,160 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband, my infant son and myself will be relocating to Eugene in 2 months. We want to go finish grad school in Eugene but hear that living in Eugene itself isnt such a good idea. Bad crime, air quality, etc. We want to pick a town slightly outside of Eugene so we can commute to the college. We want a small town that is family friendly, low crime and away from the drug problems. We want to buy a house up to 350K but of course would prefer something affordable and yet nice and roomy for our growing family. Good weather (as much as good weather can be in Oregon) is a plus too!
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:45 PM

152 posts, read 878,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfolk View Post
Hi! My husband, my infant son and myself will be relocating to Eugene in 2 months. We want to go finish grad school in Eugene but hear that living in Eugene itself isnt such a good idea. Bad crime, air quality, etc. We want to pick a town slightly outside of Eugene so we can commute to the college. We want a small town that is family friendly, low crime and away from the drug problems. We want to buy a house up to 350K but of course would prefer something affordable and yet nice and roomy for our growing family. Good weather (as much as good weather can be in Oregon) is a plus too!
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
I would be pretty skeptical about the advice you were given regarding Eugene. Did you consider the source and what they are used too? Besides, 350,000 will get you into a pretty nice neighborhood anyways. Trust me, we have small children and we would not live here if the crime/air quality was that bad.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I would be pretty skeptical about the advice you were given regarding Eugene. Did you consider the source and what they are used too? Besides, 350,000 will get you into a pretty nice neighborhood anyways. Trust me, we have small children and we would not live here if the crime/air quality was that bad.
I'll echo elcapitan here. I lived in Eugene for almost 5 years while attending grad school and the "problems" with Eugene you cite wouldn't keep me away. And I have 2 kids under 10 now.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 29,160 times
Hi! Thanks for the quick replies. I am glad to hear that it isn't as bad as some people have said to me. Not all of what I have heard so far is bad, a lot of people rave about Eugene. My mother went to college in Eugene and loved it. That is part of why we are drawn to the area. I think though, that we do prefer a really small town, smaller than Eugene. Any recommendations for a good area for families? Something with great weather and scenery ? Thank you all so much!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
Check out Junction City (about 25 minutes south of UofO). It still has it's small town feel, but is growing. New housing developments are going in, the schools are good, and there's still lots of room to play outside.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,719 times
Greater Lane County Oregon : Cities, Small Towns and Areas

Here is a map of Lane County.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post

Ooh! This is helpful! Thank you for posting this.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM

22 posts, read 83,903 times
We live in East Eugene on a hill. Nice area near the I-5 but not a lot of families. Check out Creswell. It is 9 miles south of Eugene. Very nice area. You should be able to find a nice house for your price point. Look at the neighborhoods on the east side of the freeway just North of the Rays supermarket. There are a lot of very nice new houses that have just gone in.

We have friends that live in a nice DR Horton neighborhood on the West side of Eugene close to schools, supermarket, etc. Tons of young families in the neighborhood, professionals, etc. If you want I can get the exact location of that area also. Very nice houses in your price range.

I'm not as big of a fan of the Junction City area. Just my opinion though.

I'll answer any questions as I do currently live in Eugene.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
Ooh! This is helpful! Thank you for posting this.
jiffin4java

Your
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/4.gif (broken link)

Have A Great Day!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 19,393 times
Default Good for you

Hi, I went to the UofO and lived in Eugene for 5 years. At the time our kids were preschool and 1st grade. Eugene is like someone you love and hate at the same time. Lots of environmental activists there, yet the air, water, and soil quality are highly polluted (Merchant Madness powered by Gomez, Inc.). The city itself has an identity crisis. South and east Eugene are quaint and cozy until you go up into the South Hills area where the homes are larger and nicer (that is, not full of mold spores). There is a ton of crime in Eugene. You cannot leave anything of value laying around for a moment. But there are tons of nice restaurants (LOVE Tio Pepes), festivals in the summer, Saturday and Holiday market, and parks parks parks. North and way out west Eugene are urban sprawl nightmares with prepackaged homes that are way too expensive, no good bike paths (in my opinion) and row after row of stucco malls. It's hard to find a place near Eugene that isn't just as expensive (Junction City, Creswell, Loraine, etc), but I've always loved Eugene and want desperately to move back. I have lived in many parts of America, San Diego, Knoxville, Atlanta, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Wyoming, et al, but love Eugene the most. The only major downside for students and people like me (a teacher) is the price. It's just so darn expensive.
There are probably more activities for children in Eugene than most cities of that size. And Eugene has something like 120 city parks. That's a tremendous amount.
I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area