U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,983 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Eugene Oregon from Bozeman Montana. I am a single mom, and I am interested in applying to grad school for social work. I will be looking for a teaching position at a highschool, or if all else fails, a temperary bartending position. I am looking for a town that is progressive, walkable, and open-minded. I hope to find a moderate climate, and I dont mind rain. Can anyone give me advice regarding Eugene Oregon's pro's and cons? What is the housing like? Job oppertunities? What neighborhoods should I look at? Is there an unusually large crime problem? Any advice from other single moms?

Thankyou,
Rosanna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,508,681 times
Eugene, my home town.

Eugene is a very diverse place. It has always kept a good deal of its old small town charm. The U of O has a pretty good reputation as well. It's also a very liberal town and many hippies of my younger years remained and it's the drug capitol of Oregon. It's considered THE place to find drugs and the city is quite tolerant of it. There is even an illegal drug festival once a year about 10 miles towards Florence that is the rage of the entire Pacific Northwest and the police generally let them alone to "do their thing".

I would avoid Springfield. Avoid the Ferry Street Bridge area. The Bailey Hill area used to be nice. Actually, if you could, try Cottage Grove. As to jobs and prospects for single women, I'd say jobs is a C- to D and prospects for single women C.

It's also a very pretty place to live. Lane county is the only county in the US that offers both winter skiing (Willamette Pass) and the ocean (Florence).

Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM

160 posts, read 598,715 times
Unlike the last post, I totally disagree with Eugene being the drug capital of Oregon, I lived in Eugene for nearly 25 years, and just recently moved to the Portland area. I am a runner, and never felt threatened running in Eugene. Portland is another story. The drug scene is far worse, and the crime rate is much higher. I absolutely love Eugene, and consider it a very safe place to live overall. The drug fesitival the last post mentioned is called the Country Fair, and is located some 25 minutes west of Eugene in Veneta. The police who patrol that fair are the county and state police, not the Eugene police department. Depending on what type of housing you want depends on the area you will live. Bethel Danebo, is west Eugene, but is outside the Eugene school district and the least desirable place to live. Sheldon and Churchill school districts are the most desireable areas to live. Every Saturday during spring, summer and fall there is a the Saturday market downtown Eugene, where locals sell their own creations. And in Septemeber the city puts on the Eugene Celebration which lasts for a week. You are an hour from the snow, and an hour from the ocean. The olympic trials for track and field are going to be held at the University of Oregon this year, since Eugene's moto is Track City USA.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Well, I've never felt threatened in Eugene either and I've walked the streets alone many a night.

I gave an honest appraisal of how I view the town. And, yes, it is the drug capitol of the state.

It's also a place I'd live again. I also was in the Churchill school district and went to Kennedy Jr High.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM

152 posts, read 840,410 times
Just curious why you would avoid the Ferry Street Bridge area? If anything, I would avoid Santa Clara or Danebo.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Just curious why you would avoid the Ferry Street Bridge area? If anything, I would avoid Santa Clara or Danebo.
The Ferry Street Bridge area is a mixtutre of very nice neighborhoods and seedy motels on the main streets and alleys. It's a high street drug & prostitution area. The Santa Clara area is more of a general high crime area.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,721,627 times
Default get your quack on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanna Mecklenburg View Post
I am thinking of moving to Eugene Oregon from Bozeman Montana. I am a single mom, and I am interested in applying to grad school for social work. I will be looking for a teaching position at a highschool, or if all else fails, a temperary bartending position. I am looking for a town that is progressive, walkable, and open-minded. I hope to find a moderate climate, and I dont mind rain. Can anyone give me advice regarding Eugene Oregon's pro's and cons? What is the housing like? Job oppertunities? What neighborhoods should I look at? Is there an unusually large crime problem? Any advice from other single moms?

Thankyou,
Rosanna
Hi there, interesting that you are going to Oregon as I have only recently gone to Montana after 30 years in Oregon. U of O grad, myself and hubby, one kid at Portland State and the other kid at U of O, so I have supported many years of Oregon ed. My family experiance is that teaching jobs are there but highly competative. You will be in a college town so you know all jobs in general will be sought out. The town of Springfield is really adjacent to Eugene and is somewhat more of a blue collor town and may be cheaper to live there and find a job. You will like Eugene, fun town, full of real hippies, the saturday market is the happening, there is less crime than in towns like Salem the capital which is suffering from gang influx. Been many years since I lived there so I am not up on the neighborhoods, kid lives on 13th close to campus. Good luck and go ducks! May want to stop shaving and buy some birkenstocks

Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM

160 posts, read 598,715 times
I still crack up at the statement that Eugene is the drug capital of Oregon, I am wondering if there is any facts to back that up? I actually lived in the Santa Clara area for years, then moved to the Churchill area because my two younger children changed schools. One thing about the Eugene 4-J school district, kids can petition and change schools quite easily. My oldest graduated from North Eugene, it was a perfect fit for his college prep which was majoring in musical theater, minoring in Voice. My daughter graduated from Churchill, which was great for her teaching career, and my youngest graduated from Sheldon. He now attends U of O, and is playing football and running track for the school. Each high school offers something just a little different, which makes it unique to Eugene. Eugene is also rich in the arts, with the Hult Center down town and smaller performing theaters it makes for an awesome experience. Springfield is more of a blue collar town, but there are parts of Springfield that are very nice. All in all I would check it out, it is my favorite place to live in Oregon, and I have live in several towns. Corvallis, Lebanon, Eugene, Beaverton and Oregon City.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
I still crack up at the statement that Eugene is the drug capital of Oregon, I am wondering if there is any facts to back that up? I actually lived in the Santa Clara area for years, then moved to the Churchill area because my two younger children changed schools. One thing about the Eugene 4-J school district, kids can petition and change schools quite easily. My oldest graduated from North Eugene, it was a perfect fit for his college prep which was majoring in musical theater, minoring in Voice. My daughter graduated from Churchill, which was great for her teaching career, and my youngest graduated from Sheldon. He now attends U of O, and is playing football and running track for the school. Each high school offers something just a little different, which makes it unique to Eugene. Eugene is also rich in the arts, with the Hult Center down town and smaller performing theaters it makes for an awesome experience. Springfield is more of a blue collar town, but there are parts of Springfield that are very nice. All in all I would check it out, it is my favorite place to live in Oregon, and I have live in several towns. Corvallis, Lebanon, Eugene, Beaverton and Oregon City.

Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek. When I was a kid in Eugene, we had an enoumous hippie population. This fostered a mushroom & drug craze that really never abated. I still visit family & friends there frequently and am amazed at how much of that culture remains so strong. Several of my boyhood friends still ingest hallucinogen mushrooms and drugs are easy to find. The drug festival each year is pretty wild with thousands of people getting high. Each year the police are going to crack down and each year it looks the same to me. I lived in nearly 17 different towns & cities in Oregon and none remotely come close to the amount of druggies and ease to get that the Eugene area has. So I call it the drug capitol of Oregon, but who really knows. The Mexican pipeline down HWY 97 in east Oregon has certain stops that can maybe give Eugene a run for its money.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,721,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek. When I was a kid in Eugene, we had an enoumous hippie population. This fostered a mushroom & drug craze that really never abated. I still visit family & friends there frequently and am amazed at how much of that culture remains so strong. Several of my boyhood friends still ingest hallucinogen mushrooms and drugs are easy to find. The drug festival each year is pretty wild with thousands of people getting high. Each year the police are going to crack down and each year it looks the same to me. I lived in nearly 17 different towns & cities in Oregon and none remotely come close to the amount of druggies and ease to get that the Eugene area has. So I call it the drug capitol of Oregon, but who really knows. The Mexican pipeline down HWY 97 in east Oregon has certain stops that can maybe give Eugene a run for its money.
are you talking about the country fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area