Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:00 AM

146 posts, read 300,346 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know if there's anyone out there who has lived in the UK and now lives in Eugene. If so, what are your thoughts? How do the two places stack up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Well, lets see. The surrounding area resembles the eastern coastal area and the Firth area of Scotland.

Eugene is very crunchy granola. Any place I was ever at in Britain was much more sedate, more dignified. But I never lived any place in Britain with the same population, which would probably make a difference. Eugene is about 160,000 which puts it somewhere between Glasgow and Leeds in size. Believe me, it is nothing like Glasgow and I've only been in Leeds long enough to slow down and see the square while passing through, so I have no idea what it would be like to live in Leeds.

Big difference, there is no National health service in the USA. Nowhere in he USA has the sort of gardens you see in Britain. Electronics, heat, gasoline, clothing, are all much cheaper in the USA.

To disclose, I don't live in Eugene and stay out of there as much as possible.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 PM

256 posts, read 265,961 times
I've lived here in Eugene for the majority of my life and can answer some specific questions if you have them. I've neved been to the U.K. unfortunately so I can't really just start listing random differences. Just a random thing I have noticed about what I've seen of the U.K. is that there people seem to all wear all black and grey. That's something you wouldn't see here haha. There's also a very visible homeless/general street ruckus problem here, although crime rates are low. Please feel free to ask more questions, I'd love to help!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
In Eugene they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM

346 posts, read 464,410 times
Lots of tweakers in Oregon, but we may have better teeth.

Watch Hedley and Wyche: The British Toothpaste From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com

Old 02-08-2017, 05:17 AM

261 posts, read 221,594 times
So, I just moved to Eugene about 3 months ago from the UK but was not working out for me so I moved to Seattle where I was supposed to be in the first place.

Yeah sorry - I don't like Eugene. It also didn't help that it didn't work out with my soon to be ex-wife. Seattle for instance has a lot more going on. Eugene to me seems to be a very sleepy town with little going on. Housing is cheaper though in comparison to Seattle. In comparison to the UK, the US has more expensive rent I think.

Any specific questions?

Oh - you cannot fill the car tank up - the people at the pump have a job to do and they MUST fill up your car with petrol

Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
I've lived here in Eugene for the majority of my life and can answer some specific questions if you have them. I've neved been to the U.K. unfortunately so I can't really just start listing random differences. Just a random thing I have noticed about what I've seen of the U.K. is that there people seem to all wear all black and grey. That's something you wouldn't see here haha. There's also a very visible homeless/general street ruckus problem here, although crime rates are low. Please feel free to ask more questions, I'd love to help!
I think you may have been watching black and white movies. When I was in the UK everyone was in color.

To the OP, you are comparing a small university town to an entire country. What specifically are the places in the UK are you asking about similarities to Eugene?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 PM

256 posts, read 265,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think you may have been watching black and white movies. When I was in the UK everyone was in color.
Just click around London's streets on google street view for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
Just click around London's streets on google street view for a bit and you'll see what I mean.
I see all different colors here but regardless, I think in person wins over pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lond...tbm=isch&imgil

Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
There's nothing similar to Eugene in the U.K. Eugene is a western city surrounded by vast tracts of public timber land.

One can find parallels between rural U.K. and places like Vermont or CT or anywhere in rural New England. Or the horse country or Northern Virginia and MD. And there are a lot of declining industrial cities in the U.K. That share a lot in common with declining rust belt cities in the upper Midwest.

But Eugene? There is nothing like it in the U.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: