Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times

Advertisements

Again, Eureka. I grew up there, and it's not for me as an adult, but I think you would find many, many kindred spirits. No jokes and not trying to be mean or rude, just giving my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 06:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I lived in Oregon for nearly forty years. I think, unintentionally, your post was just a wee bit condescending towards those who have lived and those who are living there. No one likes to be referred to in a stereotypical manner.

I think if you just do what most transplants looking for information here do, just ask your questions simply and without the judgmental comments. If you really want to fit in as an Oregonian, don't patronize or catorigize the people who live there.

Believe it or not I am trying to give helpful advice.

Last edited by Minervah; 09-03-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Portland is as close as you are going to get in Oregon.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
....., unintentionally, your post was just a wee bit condescending towards those who have lived and those who are living there. .........
Much more than a wee bit condescending, and most obviously intentional.

Quote:
......so I'd REALLY like to hear from people like myself who can offer constructive info about where they've chosen to live and what comprises they had to make or didn't......
People like yourself are not settling in Oregon, so if you genuinely want constructive suggestions, you might try the forums of other states. I have known people like yourself who were professors at the university in San Jose California. Try there.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
You'd fit right in at Burning Man, though

Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Jql Jql started this thread

23 posts, read 28,193 times
[quote=oregonwoodsmoke;49399453]I have to wonder why you believe that only left wing smart people understand the concept of evolution and everyone else is going to shoot at you. Is that the typical progressive intolerance that you are advocating? You can find a lot of that in Portland.

There is very little old growth forest in Oregon. Washington has some nice old growth on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula and Oregon has the Lost Forest which is truly ancient, but nobody lives in The Lost Forest.

There are a few redwoods in the very southwest corner of Oregon and some really nice redwood forests along the very northernmost top of the California coast.[/QUOTE

To oregonwoodsmoke:

It's so cool you read "revolution" as "evolution"! Revolution=Evolution. I love you now.

Now as to "advocating typical progressive intolerance"...I'm not sure what you mean.

Majority of people I know on the left are all into peaceful protest and non-judgement, a la Gandhi and MLK.

I, however know that Gandhi was used by the British to keep militant Indian militias from getting rid of them via death.

I am extremely intolerant. I know rich psychopaths can't be stopped by a bunch of people banging drums and singing. I know the ultra rich have no shame.
They learned that letting us walk around with signs blows off steam and then we go home all happy and proud accomplishing nothing.

You can't get psychopaths to let go of power by being polite and "rising above" the violence.

Which puts me at odds with the majority of people I know on the left.

I'm the only person in my circle who DOESN'T advocate gun control.

And, BTW they all TRY to respect my opinion but start gritting their teeth and getting red in the face and by the time they leave I KNOW they wanna hit me but their values not only won't let them do it, but won't even let them know they WANNA do it.

That's what puts me in danger around armed people who really REALLY disagree with me.

But thanks for the info about old growth. I knew most of it, but not all.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2017, at 1:02 AM, City-Data Forum <webmaster@city-data.com> wrote:

Dear Jql,

You are subscribed to the thread "Morning coffee with Big Trees, lunch with left wing smart people" by Jql, there have been 3 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was oregonwoodsmoke.
//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...unch-left.html

These following posts were made to the thread:
Morning coffee with Big Trees, lunch with left wing smart people
//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...l#post49398654
Posted by: Jql
On: 09-02-2017 06:50 PM

I am so overloaded with excess information and conflicting needs that I am alternately a grenade with the pin out and a listless flat thing on the bed. I want to walk out of my new home into old growth forest but still have stimulating conversations with people who don't live in compounds or gated communities or a commitment to the Aryan Nation
But being stuck in the city all my life except for occasional time in tents on vacation, I want to enjoy this last portion of my life in the company of trees who've lived a long time. Redwoods or sequoias I can live among rather than drive to.
The politics of Northern California and Oregon are uniquely fascinating but intensely confusing. I have a big mouth and I don't want to get shot when I advocate revolution and or hang out with brown people.
Also, I am hoping to spend 250 K or less
Would love to have some culture around, even if it's small or I have to travel to it but not a four hour drive to jam with other musicians or hang out with other poets.
And I don't want someone yelling at me about my lawn
Impossible, right? Stupid?
Oh and I like to smoke weed, raise vegetables, have many pets and want a goat.
I know I'm a piece of work, but is there a place where it'll work?

//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...l#post49399367
Posted by: jjpop
On: 09-02-2017 08:28 PM

Eureka.

//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...l#post49399453
Posted by: oregonwoodsmoke
On: 09-02-2017 08:41 PM

I have to wonder why you believe that only left wing smart people understand the concept of evolution and everyone else is going to shoot at you. Is that the typical progressive intolerance that you are advocating? You can find a lot of that in Portland.

There is very little old growth forest in Oregon. Washington has some nice old growth on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula and Oregon has the Lost Forest which is truly ancient, but nobody lives in The Lost Forest.

There are a few redwoods in the very southwest corner of Oregon and some really nice redwood forests along the very northernmost top of the California coast.

All the best,
City-Data Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
//www.city-data.com/forum/subsc...1e3dd1baa6ffd6

Old 09-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I lived in Oregon for nearly forty years. I think, unintentionally, your post was just a wee bit condescending towards those who have lived and those who are living there. No one likes to be referred to in a stereotypical manner.

I think if you just do what most transplants looking for information here do, just ask your questions simply and without the judgmental comments. If you really want to fit in as an Oregonian, don't patronize or catorigize the people who live there.

Believe it or not I am trying to give helpful advice.

Well hello Minerva!
Thanks for trying to help (although I think that wasn't your WHOLE motive, but I'm not in your head, so benefit of the doubt)

But to you and Smokey there...guess what. It's not all about you.

I wasn't insulting you or condescending to you, I wasn't even TALKING to you or about you. You just a bit paranoid, a tad self-referential maybe? A little over sensitive? I'm not sure what the stereotypes ARE about Oregon natives, but I know I don't have any. It's a big state with lots of vastly different communities, just like NY.

I have no opinion re your intelligence good or bad.
I DONT KNOW YOU

But I am sure as long time Oregonians you know about the "State of Jefferson" movement and its resurgence. I'm sure you know about the area referred to as "the Redoubt". You surely know about the militias springing up there (and the Southeast...and elsewhere) And so you know that in some parts of Northern California and Southern Oregon it would not be particularly safe for me to talk freely.

I am a 3D generation left wing activist. Born latter part of the Mc Carthy era when everyone we knew was losing their jobs, their freedom or worse if they spoke freely.

A family camp built from ground up by Eastern European survivors post WWII (and I'm talking stone houses, chopping down trees without power tools, clearing the land) their children and their grandchildren.

It was maybe the only place I felt truly safe. This was in the beautiful Ramapo mountains of New Jersey. My parents brought me there as an infant, and every summer after.

Except when I was maybe 11 years old, a right wing militia calling itself "the minutemen" burned it down to the ground. Kind of funny they used "Molotov" cocktails to do it...in the middle of the night.
There were no deaths but many were injured.

There is a history of this kind of thing in this country which you may or may not be aware of. People get killed, disappeared, beaten, lose their livelihoods.

So pardon me if I'm scared to end up in the wrong place with the wrong people.

This has not one thing to do with the character of Oregonians as a whole.
Surprise, surprise: I've spent quite a lot of time there myself. I love the whole state and most of the people I've met have been warm kind and welcoming

Oh and Woodsmoke:there are plenty of people like me moving to Oregon. Sorry. Northern California, sure but Oregon, too. I have several friends who have moved to your state. It's actually pretty popular with Us People who love trees and mountains. I would prefer a smaller town but I'd like to be able to have some friends who I lose if I say what I think

And I am posting on California threads as well.

Most of all it's the land I love. My work chained me to NYC, but now that I'm retired I'd like to spend the time left away from the pavement and fire sirens and the mad search for wealth and power and everything else I hate here.

So if you find that insulting or whatever I swear I don't know what to say.

Ya feel me, brothers and sisters?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Sorry, meant friends who I WONT lose if I say what I think

Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Much more than a wee bit condescending, and most obviously intentional.

People like yourself are not settling in Oregon, so if you genuinely want constructive suggestions, you might try the forums of other states. I have known people like yourself who were professors at the university in San Jose California. Try there.
Thats definitely NOT TRUE-for example, I am here.

(I dont smoke weed, I dont do smoke well, but I do support the smoking of weed!)

Old 09-04-2017, 04:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Also know a huge community of folks that you would fit right into, OP- they just are sort of hidden in the more rural areas (well maybe not in Ashland cause that whole area is one you would fit into!), cause, as you are finding out, there ARE a fair amount of folks like the ones flavoring CIty-Data Oregon and portland forums.
There's a nice community in Corbett for example and that fits your pastoral landscape, big trees (but not giant redwoods unfortuantly)...

I think having a community of welcoming, open to diversity and change, community of folks is really important when considering a move, you will find that easiest in Portland.
Our neighbors have a goat, the person on the next block has some ducks (they got out and we all turned out to herd them home, ducks are so comical, poor little lost souls)...
Plenty of big hearty green plants (of all kinds, lol) in the backyards- had cocktails on our other neighbors rooftop deck the other day, and WOW that was quite an eye opener)....

You may want to balance the need for country with the need for community.
(Been there, done that, in the Sierras, and while I loved my hobby farm and my livestock guardian dogs and goats, and free range poultry flock- I do find I am happier here, with a large yard on the edge of Portland)..

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 09-04-2017 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area