Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:33 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times

Advertisements

Oregon State has some better programs in certain sciences and technology fields. Ie: nuclear engineering, bioresearch, anything agricultural and better in certain environmental specialties.

University of Oregon is better at everything else, as you would expect of the flagship. UO football is usually, but not always, better. If the student has any interest in track and field type sports, UO is definitely better.

I would do a little more research on the particular major and your student's interests before deciding.

As for lifestyle, they're about 45-55 minutes away from each other. For someone from outside the area, it's not that big of a difference. Corvallis is 45 minutes closer to Portland.... small-medium sized Willamette Valley cities in both cases. Corvallis is the "cuter" town in my opinion. OSU has a bigger "footprint" in Corvallis however - a college with 28,000 students in a town of about 50,000. Ditto the other towns nearby, Lebanon and Albany. OSU is the college in Oregon that will give you the closest approximation to the stereotypical "college experience" as a result. Yeah, it's typically the choice of the state's conservatives to send their kids rather than the "People's Republic of Eugene," but as others have said, that's by Oregon standards. So that makes it more liberal than half the colleges out there.

UO is 24,000 students in a sister-city metro Eugene-Springfield of about 210,000. The campus area is pretty, but Eugene the city is not particularly "pretty" outside the campus area, especially not its downtown. The natural beauty is around Eugene. It shows its history as a a former center of timber extraction & related industry. You get a sort of midwestern style post-industrial blight, "rundown, best days are behind us" vibe from certain areas of Eugene. Even though in the 21st century the economy has become more diversified, those areas remain. Eugene is bigger though, so more shopping, cultural events, going out places, etc...

There is definitely more liberal hippy-dippy-ness in Eugene... in fact whenever I go to the farmer's market it's like the sixties never died. Quite literally, I think some sixties hippies never left.

Last edited by redguard57; 02-13-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Oregon State has some better programs in certain sciences and technology fields. Ie: nuclear engineering, bioresearch, anything agricultural and better in certain environmental specialties.

University of Oregon is better at everything else, as you would expect of the flagship. UO football is usually, but not always, better. If the student has any interest in track and field type sports, UO is definitely better.

I would do a little more research on the particular major and your student's interests before deciding.

As for lifestyle, they're about 45-55 minutes away from each other. For someone from outside the area, it's not that big of a difference. Corvallis is 45 minutes closer to Portland.... small-medium sized Willamette Valley cities in both cases. Corvallis is the "cuter" town in my opinion. OSU has a bigger "footprint" in Corvallis however - a college with 28,000 students in a town of about 50,000. Ditto the other towns nearby, Lebanon and Albany. OSU is the college in Oregon that will give you the closest approximation to the stereotypical "college experience" as a result. Yeah, it's typically the choice of the state's conservatives to send their kids rather than the "People's Republic of Eugene," but as others have said, that's by Oregon standards. So that makes it more liberal than half the colleges out there.

UO is 24,000 students in a sister-city metro Eugene-Springfield of about 210,000. The campus area is pretty, but Eugene the city is not particularly "pretty" outside the campus area, especially not its downtown. The natural beauty is around Eugene. It shows its history as a a former center of timber extraction & related industry. You get a sort of midwestern style post-industrial blight, "rundown, best days are behind us" vibe from certain areas of Eugene. Even though in the 21st century the economy has become more diversified, those areas remain. Eugene is bigger though, so more shopping, cultural events, going out places, etc...

There is definitely more liberal hippy-dippy-ness in Eugene... in fact whenever I go to the farmer's market it's like the sixties never died. Quite literally, I think some sixties hippies never left.
That’s true. I know some.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I did an MBA at the U of O after moving from California. I was very happy there. Corvallis is nice but it seems like a pretty sleepy town. Lots of people move up to Portland when they graduate.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM

226 posts, read 258,043 times
I don't agree that Eugene isn't pretty. I think most of downtown is nice and generally getting nicer. Also the Fifth Street Market area, and around Oakway and the Whiteaker is barely clinging to its grunginess. There are some rundown areas, but I see lots of beauty right in town too. I love all the new murals going up.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I don't agree that Eugene isn't pretty. I think most of downtown is nice and generally getting nicer. Also the Fifth Street Market area, and around Oakway and the Whiteaker is barely clinging to its grunginess. There are some rundown areas, but I see lots of beauty right in town too. I love all the new murals going up.
I'm trying to parse that double negative, but I think your point is that Eugene is a nice place.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:44 PM

226 posts, read 258,043 times
Yes, it is a nice place. I was responding to the previous poster saying it looks like its best days are behind it. Hope you can parse that.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:20 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,313 times
Academically, neither school is very well regarded. My parents are Beaver grads of the 40's. I'd send my kid to OSU, being a STEM school. More valuable degree.
As a place to live? Hands down, Eugene, despite being more liberal. Better shopping, dining, etc.

Last edited by wolfdog; 02-16-2018 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
Yes, it is a nice place. I was responding to the previous poster saying it looks like its best days are behind it. Hope you can parse that.
LOL

Eugene is nice but there is some petty crime around campus. Never had a problem living in the south hills.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 AM

29 posts, read 24,163 times
Computer science is Oregon state in Corvallis--and they are more popular for technology.the University of Oregon has gotten rid of many practical things,they eliminated the Home Ec, dept. which was excellent when my sister minored in it.--but if I had to go to a college, now,I would try to go to Oregon state.Many technology companies over there now, too.Its got a very good reputation for careers.I never SAW A Vegetarian Indian restaurant, in Eugene, but its very likely they have it.I would not base a college degree on food, though. You do want to be able to get a good job;that is Oregon state.

(Eugene and Lane county now has Los Angeles freeways,. and L.A. traffic--on fridays, the traffic jams won't even budge.--I tried going to a doctor, one friday, and never made it,The traffic would not let me.If you were very hurt, or sick, you'd have to call 911, cause the packed freeways would hinder you getting to a doctor.--they would have to get you an emergency van,otherwise you could die.I broke my left ankle one friday, and I could never get to a drop in clinic.I thought it was only a sprain.--it swelled up like a balloon. Keep this TRAFFIC IN MIND when you pick Eugene. You will have to put up with it.Some people can't stand L.A.--like traffic jams and freeways.I refuse to drive around here.--its a nightmare.)

Last edited by doo555; 02-22-2018 at 04:36 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo555 View Post
Computer science is Oregon state in Corvallis--and they are more popular for technology.the University of Oregon has gotten rid of many practical things,they eliminated the Home Ec, dept. which was excellent when my sister minored in it.--but if I had to go to a college, now,I would try to go to Oregon state.Many technology companies over there now, too.Its got a very good reputation for careers.I never SAW A Vegetarian Indian restaurant, in Eugene, but its very likely they have it.I would not base a college degree on food, though. You do want to be able to get a good job;that is Oregon state.

(Eugene and Lane county now has Los Angeles freeways,. and L.A. traffic--on fridays, the traffic jams won't even budge.--I tried going to a doctor, one friday, and never made it,The traffic would not let me.If you were very hurt, or sick, you'd have to call 911, cause the packed freeways would hinder you getting to a doctor.--they would have to get you an emergency van,otherwise you could die.I broke my left ankle one friday, and I could never get to a drop in clinic.I thought it was only a sprain.--it swelled up like a balloon. Keep this TRAFFIC IN MIND when you pick Eugene. You will have to put up with it.Some people can't stand L.A.--like traffic jams and freeways.I refuse to drive around here.--its a nightmare.)

Ride a bike to work, use the marked lanes or separate bike paths. Some forward-thinking companies will give employees a bonus for not needing a full parking-space. I've promoted the idea for years, of making that a city-sponsored program and greatly increasing the participation. The extensive bike paths and lanes are underused. College students commonly keep their bikes in their dormitory rooms, to avoid theft. I avoid theft, by riding a Huffy, when I need to lock it up away from home. No thief with half a brain would take one of those. If I could get some Huffy brand decals, I'd put them on all my bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area