U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 7,530 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'd like to hear what you like about your neighborhood in Eugene. I'm going to visit to research relocating there and I plan to take city buses through neighborhoods to get a feel for them. I'm nearing retirement and will have to stop driving at some point. Thank you for any info you might provide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 05:39 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,108,493 times
LTD is the bus system here. You can check out their website and study the maps to determine where you might want to settle so that you can easily take the bus to the places you will most likely be going most often. I tried taking the bus from my neighborhood to my workplace and I had to change buses downtown even though it seemed like that was very out of the way for me - that was my only option. So if the bus is important for you - study the bus route maps.

I live in the Ferry Street Bridge neighborhood which makes us giggle whenever we hear that or say that because we don't really know what the boundaries for the FSB neighborhood are. Realtors seem to like to use FSB as some sort of selling point "desirable FSB location!" oooh la la, but we don't really know why because it just seems to confuse people because the term is just thrown around so much and FSB seems actually to be a conglomeration of many different neighborhoods (Cal Young, Northeast, Harlow, etc.). Anyway FSB is (I think!) northeast Eugene north of the river, west of I-5, and east of Coburg (maybe) and we like it because it's easy to pick up the bike trails, lots of nice parks and riverfront areas, less homeless and druggie people (though it is increasing in recent years, especially under bridges and at area parks and behins sound walls along roads and hwys), and it's away from the university. We originally settled in this part of town for the kids schools, but the kids are grown now and to tell you the truth we don't know if the schools were better here or not. There are 4 (?) public high schools and they each have their own flavor, I really don't know if one is really better than the others. It used to feel quieter up here in this part of town, but they keep building more cheaply built apartments and townhomes and other unattractive and way overpriced housing so traffic has been getting worse. They also keep building more shopping areas which also brings more traffic and congestion and people. So, it's not as quiet as it used to be. It's difficult to escape traffic noise, and there seems to be a lot of dogs - so if you like dogs, that's a plus!

Each neighborhood in Eugene has it's own sort of flavor, so if you share what sort of feeling you like or what sort of neighborhood you tend to feel comfortable in maybe we can help give you some ideas.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,530 times
Thank you for your reply.

I will be retiring and hope to find a duplex or 2-bedroom home in a long-time established, neighborhood. A neighborhood park would be a nice plus.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:16 PM

49 posts, read 29,247 times
I live in the South Hills. We love it, but the bus service is spotty. You would want to make sure the bus stop isn't a climb for when you stop driving.

Gilham is nice and flat, and we have friends who like it there. There are lots of nice apartments along Goodpasture Rd that seem to be well served by the bus too.

Don't rule out Springfield either. I don't know the neighborhoods well, but Main street is looking better all the time, there must be decent neighborhoods nearby. The emx (bus rapid transit) goes there.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,108,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnn View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I will be retiring and hope to find a duplex or 2-bedroom home in a long-time established, neighborhood. A neighborhood park would be a nice plus.
There are quite a few great parks in Eugene, and because it's a college town quite a few rentals, too, but from what I have heard it can be tough to find an affordable rental. One of my friends rents a townhouse near the river, I don't know the name of them but if you look on Google maps and find the River House Community Center, you'll see a row of town homes just to the west of them and east of N Grand St. It is a sweet place and it's right on the river path which is great for walking, biking, etc. It's a great location in the funky Whiteaker neighborhood.

Another great spot is where we used to rent which is off of Goodpasture Island Road. There are lots of rentals there in that area - town homes and apartments - and it's great for walking and there's a park there called Delta Ponds that is popular for birding and watching turtles sun themselves.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-04-2019, 06:39 PM

45 posts, read 33,630 times
Well, with all the non-profits in Lane County and city of Eugene,who support and serve the many thousands of homeless here,we want people to move here who are sympathetic to the homeless plight. We have news that many millions of homeless are coming to Oregon from big cities every where because we believe in their right to live.We really welcome people moving here to work in the many non-profits serving all the thousands of homeless in Lane county alone,so consider this a great opportunity to do some wonderful work for your fellow man.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
Smile Searching Eugene neighborhoods..

I'm a Realtor (full disclosure!). # of properties for sale in Eugene are now 50% of what they were 4 years ago..crazy, right?

Try some open houses, hit those on the weekends and talk to people, and the Realtors hosting. If they give you the hard sell brush them off!

There are some great options in town but most people never see them because those often go off market or sell so quickly they don't get attention. I've had 3 transactions go off market this year! Most props under $350k will bring to market and if priced well, get multiple offers. The rest will seem overpriced because they are.

Here's my take on neighborhoods - the "neighborhood" is only as good as your immediate neighbors. Get a feel for the neighborhood communication level. Hit Open Houses and Garage Sales, you'll meet neighbors of the host. Then go after a home or rental that's close - first movers win in this rental/sales market!

Welcome and good luck!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 AM

54 posts, read 41,206 times
I bought a home in Springfield in June 2016. The market seems very hot then but may have cooled down now. I bought the house within a few hours of it being on the market. One reason I got it was that I had a well respected RE agent that had good contacts.

I agree there are good buys under 350K especially in Springfield. I moved here from out of state and looked at home in both Eugene and Springfield.

I'm glad I chose Springfield. There seem to be fewer homeless here. The downtown is continuing to improve with unique restaurants and shops. Property taxes and utilities are less than Eugene.

Similar to Eugene there is a mix of good neighborhoods with some that are less than great. Homes are less expensive. I have nice friendly neighbors too.

There is a website "Next Door" that can give you more of a feel of the area. But you may need a local address to use it. But I do like the idea of going to yards sales to learn more about the neighborhood. That's a great suggestion.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,456,639 times
How about the northern portion of the area between the river and Goodpasture Island Road?
It looks attractive, what with the river close by, the bike paths, etc. And multiple apt complexes to choose from.
I've been focused on Corvallis as my future retirement home... perhaps Eugene merits a closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area