U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 63,589 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
My husband and I are looking to move to Eugene (or any surrounding area). We now live in Grand Rapids, MI. Our biggest concerns are jobs and the housing market. From what research I have seen, around $200K is normal which would be fine w/ us. We wouldn't mind living in an outlying area and driving in, we'd rather have some space than the suburbs. But jobs are the biggest concern and are hard to get in Michigan; it took me a year of looking to get a crappy atty job w/ low pay. My husband is in IT/computers. How is the job market there? Any big firms by name that would be good to apply to? We are really into outdoors, hiking, biking, and we love the ocean and forest. So we feel OR would be a good match. We are hoping to come in July and any info would be much appreciated. We have no kids as of yet either. We own a small condo now but would really like to get a house. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 254,501 times
Default The Housing bubble is slowly bursting in Oregon....

The NW is about a year behind the rest of the country & prices are headed down...Rent & save your pennies...The economy is slowing here...Hewlet Packard is big in Corvallis...

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM

10,849 posts, read 18,661,209 times
Eugene isn't known for 'big' employers. What I would do is to check Monster and Craig's list to see what you come up with, and don't overlook the City of Eugene or Springfield or Lane County.

I agree with WorkinStiff, rent for a year. Home prices are under pressure and there will likely be better buys next year. Renting will also give you an opportunity to get to know neighborhoods.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,080,372 times
You can try Eugene Jobs - EugeneJobs.net: Jobs in Eugene and Careers in Eugene - as well. As other posters have said, Eugene really doesn't have a lot to offer as far as big companies. I've never lived in a place so full of independent business owners and private practices. I think that the University of Oregon and the hospitals are the largest employers. There is also some kind of a semiconductor facility (symantec?).

As far as home-buying... I agree - rent and get to know the neighborhoods first. Eugene has very distinct little areas. You want to be sure to find a home in an area that suits you and your lifestyle.

Good luck with everything!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM

I appreciate all your advice so far. I guess if there are not big employers, are there at least jobs in IT and Attorney? I dont mind working for a small firm, as I do right now, those are often better than big firms anyway. I guess if anyone knows of some firm name to apply to that would be great. Same for IT. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM

10,849 posts, read 18,661,209 times
I assume that you have passed the Oregon Bar exam.

Were I you I could talk to the Oregon Bar Assn for legal positions.

One problem you will have is that the University of Oregon has a law school and lots of graduates from that institution want to stay. The same thing happens to graduates from the School of Architecture.

The UofO has a software program in the School of Mathematics, OSU does the hardware side.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM

I have not passed the OR bar however I am a licesned attorney in MI and the OR rules under House Rule 18 allow me to practice w/ a firm until I do pass the bar, I just cannot go to court or do legal aid. I appreciate the advice though, I didnt know about the law school and that is a consideration.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,854,065 times
What type of law do you practice?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,976,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbie419 View Post
I have not passed the OR bar however I am a licesned attorney in MI and the OR rules under House Rule 18 allow me to practice w/ a firm until I do pass the bar, I just cannot go to court or do legal aid. I appreciate the advice though, I didnt know about the law school and that is a consideration.
Depending on your commitment to living in Oregon, you might want to consider taking the Oregon Bar before you move out there. The legal market in Oregon is not that big and Eugene has far fewer opportunities for a lawyer than Portland. Not having bar membership could be an impediment to finding employment as an attorney since any firm hiring you would have to gamble that you would pass the bar. I'm not saying you couldn't pass it, but you have to look at it from an employer's perspective.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

I practice plaintiff civil litigation but wouldn't mind doing criminal or family law. I understand having passed the bar is always best when looking for a job. However, I believe that I will be able to pass it and since I am already licensed in a harder state, I don't think it will be a problem. Also, like I said above, OR has a rule where I can practice to a limited extent in a firm so I wouldn't be a drag on the firm just waiting to pass. Anyhow, I appreciate the honest advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area