U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,884,144 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in the Phoenix metro area and want out. I came down here from San Francisco and, no kidding, I have frequent dreams at night where I am any place but here. I hate it! I came down here to "drop out" of corporate America, which is code word for I haven't had a real job in four years. I am late 40s, single female, no children, I have an MBA, so I do have the skills to do *something.*

At any rate, I want out of here and am considering Eugene, as I am a left-leaning person who refuses to cut her hair just to conform (I hear there are a lot of hippies up that way?) If I could sell my house down here, I would have around $450k to buy one for cash up there, but my primary concern would be employment. Are there any jobs for me up there and what is the average price of a house? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM

480 posts, read 2,330,878 times
I found this report about housing in Eugene. You could certainly afford a house there:

The median sale price for March 2008 was $228,500 this is a 3.6% decrease over the median sale price for March 2007.The Eugene residential real estate market peaked in June 2007 with a median sale price of $243,300. Prices have now fallen 6.1% from that peak. Months of supply (total inventory/monthly sales) sits at 8.4 months compared to the 4.5 months of supply for March 2007. A balanced market has between 6 and 8 months of supply.

Here is a link to a very recent report on employment from the U.S. DOL that looks a bit grim, but that doesn't mean there aren't jobs out there.

Eugene-Springfield, OR Economy at a Glance

Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM

108 posts, read 321,424 times
Is Eugene and Corvallis a coffee-house kind of town? Are there any nice neighborhoods with small shopping areas to which one can walk?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,521 times
Default Eugene/Corvallis

Eugene is about double the population of Corvallis, a lot more traffic and a lot more crime. Still, I've always liked Eugene and would consider living there. Corvallis is just where I ended up. I grew up in NYC, lived in Sacramento (awful place) for 9 years then moved to Oregon. I've lived in Portland for a couple years too.
I like Corvallis a lot. I'm an avid road cyclist and this whole Willamette Valley is heaven for cyclists. I also play saxophone with a local big band and have played flute with the local community band. There is a very active community theatre scene here. It's a great town for strolling, although, coming from NYC where everybody walks, it always surprises me how quiet the streets are in Corvallis, not that many people walk. Of course downtown you'll see a lot of walkers but most folks tend to drive downtown and then get out of their cars to walk.
We have some very good restaurants but Eugene has a lot more. The college in Eugene is known for its liberal arts whereas in Corvallis it's more of an engineering, science, forestry kind of scene and this sort of sets the tone for each town. My opinion, Corvallis is more liveable but Eugene is more exciting.
If you'd like to come and visit I'd be glad to show you around both towns on my days off. You might consider Ashland as well, it's kind of far away from anything but a very groovy town.

Mel

Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 65,659 times
With our sour economy I wouldn't come here to live without a job.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM

29 posts, read 88,194 times
450k minus 200k for new house leaves you 250k I think you might have a while to find a job

Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 PM

29 posts, read 88,194 times
we are relocating there from Sacramento ( dito, awful place ) we are looking at bandon and gold beach, both seem to be very laid back places,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area