Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2022, 05:50 PM

90 posts, read 155,617 times

Advertisements

Whirlwind job opportunity has left me considering moving to Eugene. I'm from Portland and went to college at Oregon State, plus lived in Eugene for a year or so in the early 2000s.

I can say that I wouldn't move back without a job, but they are offering more than I make in Seattle, and considering the cost of living that is significant.

Anyways, I am kinda excited about owning a bigger house and land. I am also kinda nervous I'll miss the hustle and bustle of the big city (Not the traffic, pollution, or crowds). I can say, if the job doesn't pan out, I'd be in a much worse spot in Eugene than Seattle (you can fall and get a big tech job in Seattle. I am not super impressed with the brain power of that city, but opportunity abounds).

Anyways, I always figured I'd go back to Portland. But a fat check and some country charm are enticing.

What say you internet? Stop the outsiders from taking our jobs and keep Eugene not Portland? Or might as well, just another old dude playing farmer on the McKenzie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 09:05 PM

56 posts, read 55,515 times
Why not? You can create some hustle and bustle when you get here.

I know plenty of people in tech here, especially now that so many folks work remotely.

Good luck deciding!

Old 01-20-2022, 05:15 AM

6 posts, read 5,866 times
Go to Eugene and get your little ranchette, and give the Duck fans some grief (my wife and I are Beaver alumni).

We also lived in and around Seattle for a few years (I temporarily defected to become a Husky while in graduate school). There is something to be said for what Seattle offers, but I am sure Eugene would be equally enjoyable, just different.

Have fun.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:50 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Because Eugene is a college town, there is plenty going on. You should be able to find something to do with your free time.

One thing about living in places like Seattle, there might be lot to do, but you need to have the discretionary income before you can enjoy all the restaurants and concerts and night clubs. All that entertainment doesn't do you much good if all of your income is going towards trying to stay in housing.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Of course you will need more 9% dough working from Oregon. But housing should be considerably less, and traffic too.

If you are not needing the water sports access of Seattle area, I could do without the traffic.

SIL picked up a nice 13 Acre rural place in Vaughn with 3 cottages for under $300k (in 2019)

She traded that for one in Yachats, then sold that and moved to Hawaii. (All in less than 2 yrs), but also had tried Newberg, K Falls, and Ashland. Trying to make OR work, but eventually she just had to find a climate that better suited her.

We had a UPick fruit farm in SWWA for ~10 yrs. It was fine with a night shift job, as I needed to be outside working on it most of the daylight hours. That got old, as growing up farming on the prairie, rainy days were very rare. I'm not keen on working in the mud and getting soaked doing mandatory tasks that must be accomplished, or you have no crop, or stuff (Blackberries and fruit trees) gets way out of hand.

Would be better to have a tribe of homeschooled kids to help out and to share your profits (?).

We were able to grow just about anything!

Old 07-03-2022, 10:45 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
She traded that for one in Yachats, then sold that and moved to Hawaii. (All in less than 2 yrs), but also had tried Newberg, K Falls, and Ashland. Trying to make OR work, but eventually she just had to find a climate that better suited her.
I predict she'll move again within 3 years.
(That's what they always say about Hawaii, most newcomers last less than 3 years.)
There's more to the islands than climate. We stuck it out for 12 years, and I'm happy to be back on the mainland.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:28 AM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times
OP has left the building.
Seattle area, July 03, 2022, high will be 60 and wet.
Eugene area, high 74 and partly cloudy.
Our Santa Rosa plum in Salem, would normally have first fruit around July 4. This year probably about July 11-14. I'd be looking to pick cherries about that beginning to dehydrate ripe about July 15, but again probably 7 days later.
Nothing wrong with the McKenzie or the Willamette or the many resevoirs or easy drive to the Beach/Central OR . vs Sammamish River, Lake Sammamish and Lake Washington.

mid week Fourth of July's, I used to go clamming in the morning hardly a soul on the flats in Netarts and then do the mud clams in PC. Then bundle up for the fireworks on the Beach. Being that the 4th is Monday, I'd only do Sandlake and PC.
YCMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area