U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM

347 posts, read 2,054,288 times

Advertisements

Haha most of my pictures were taken through a windshield of a moving vehicle. I was pretty impressed they came out the way they did! Oh and PDXSailor my friend from Eugene told me to tell you that the name of the restuarant you are thinking of is The Glenwood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 PM

148 posts, read 201,271 times
Glenwood, that's it!!!! McKenzie burger with home fries covered in cheese.... Mmmmmmmmm. ROADTRIP!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM

799 posts, read 3,571,787 times
U of O is a lovely campus, and downtown has a nice mix of shops and restaurants. If you can handle the low clouds and mist, it's a liberal, green alternative to a faster-paced place.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 AM

53 posts, read 254,304 times
I live in Eugene....used to live in the college hill area.....It's not a high crime area...It's a great older middle class neighborhood in which property values have EXPLODED!...Got a house there in 86 for 22k..It's now worth close to 300K...Wish I'd kept it.....The high crime area in Eugene is the Whiteaker neighborhood, ( Felony Flats) near the river...Whiteaker elementary school has the poorest student body in the entire state....

Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Oh yeah Whiteaker area was pretty strange! They had a lot of really funky houses tho (there was a cool one that was bright blue all over painted with clouds!) and I was told it was high crime but also a big hippie area. Tons of junk in the front yards, peace sign flags, etc. I took a couple pictures of some housing over there but I don't have them on this computer so I'll have to dig them out. A lot of the old hippies live over there I'm told and there's the train tracks and some industrial areas mixed in with really ugly run down looking apartments. I wasn't a fan of that area.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,568 times
Default moving on a whim -To- Eugene Pictures and Thoughts

I am moving to eugene oregon on a whim . I currently live in bar harbor maine i am tired of it and something tells me eugene is were i need to be i am sure most of you think i am nuts . any way i will not have a lot of cash or any idea of what to do or were to go are there any hostels or hotels that rent by the week until i can find employment and steady housing?? any help with this would be awsome..

Old 01-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Eugene has two hostels that I know of. I've checked them out before. One is in the Whiteaker neighborhood that we were just referring too. I've seen it, it's pretty small. I know the hostels get full up there so you'll definitely want to call.

Eugene International Hostel
Address 2352 WIllamette Street
Website eugenehostel.com
Telephone +1 (541) 349-0589

Eugene Whiteaker Hostel
970 West 3rd Avenue
EugeneWhiteakerHostel.com
Telephone +1 (541) 343-3335
Price From US$20.00/€15.77/£10.63 per person.

Prices will vary by season too. Go to this website:
http://www.hostelz.com/hostels/USA/Oregon/Eugene

I found a TON of info on general opinions of Eugene and hostels there. There's lots of good Eugene info there. Nothing wrong with moving on a whim in my opinion. Finding work might be hard in Eugene. That's what I'm primarily concerned about.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,930 times
Default Advice on Moving To Eugene Pictures and Thoughts

I stumbled on this forum while trying to look up home prices in Eugene area. I'm writing as I hope the women who were talking back and forth on this thread might have some advice for me...

Background: I am a 47 year old single parent of 12 year old boy. We are both veg., liberal, unitarian, etc. I am from east coast but lived in Seattle for 8 yrs before my son was born. I loved the social climate of Seattle and had a good job working downtown so the city was accessible to me. I graduated w/ a BA from the University of WA when I was 35 (college for all those years at night) and shortly afterward had my son. I had to leave Seattle for domestic reasons, and relocated to Sarasota, FL. We lived in an old neighborhood but in the city, and were able to take advantage of the beach, library, parks, and being outdoor for my son's toddler years. When he was 5, I moved to Maryland and bought a house next door to my parents so that I would have help with childcare before and after school while I worked. While I loved both Seattle and Sarasota for different reasons, I really don't like Maryland. Here the weather is not good, the social climate is not for me, one must drive distances for everything, and the taxes are high with little benefit (ie public works) for the tax money. Also, though I love my parents, it feels like a rut to have them as neighbors as I am frozen as a teenager in their eyes. However, I have a decent job (pays the bills) which I really really do not like. I am starting to feel like I am really wasting my life by doing this every day. I grew up here and feel like I'm repeating an old lesson.

At any rate, I have begun to try to plan for my son's college years. I would also like to get my master's degree. I am not able to afford to send him away and pay room and board. We don't live close enough to any school for him to commute. My thought is to sell my house (I believe there has been appreciation in this area since I bought it) and move to a college town near the school and try to mostly pay for a small house - I realize it may be where I end up for a long time. Eugene has been my "pipe dream" for several years now as I'm thinking UofO would be a decent affordable college for both he and I. I think I would like to move and establish residency in Eugene - want to live near the school (ideally so son could bike or take transportation) but need a SAFE neighborhood. We have an indoor dog and cats and live in about 1.8K sq foot right now. I don't need much of a yard. I have never been to Eugene, I am basing my opinions on knowing about the college and the social climate. Seattle was a little "nazi liberal" so I think I understand that. The weather in Seattle didn't bother me except for wind. Is it windy in Eugene, or more of a still grey drizzle? Where is a good safe neighborhood near the school in Eugene? Can one purchase a house for 250 or under? Something old with character?

Should I just buckle down here and stop whining? Am I having a "grass is always greener" problem? Are there other college towns I am not considering?

I would truly appreciate input....

-Serious

Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Hi Serious - I think if you are so miserable where you are and have been wanting to move to Eugene for 2 years you should just up and do it. That's what I'm doing and just knowing I am going there has made my current job and situation MUCH more tolerable for the time I am forced to be here until I can move. I don't think Eugene would be a "pipe dream" considering it's reasonably affordable to live there and you already have experience with the "gloominess" being from Seattle and all. I found Eugene to be less gloomy than seattle, there was definitely drizzle on and off but it never gets windy there according to my friends who were born, raised and live there still. If I had to describe it compared to Seattle I'd say it's a little less gloomy, similar in rain and definitely less windy. It was sunny the whole time I was there whereas taking a plane into and out of Seattle it was very gloomy there.

I found it to be VERY liberal so I don't think it would be too much liberality for someone who is as you've described yourself. It is my opinion that you should get far away from your parents if you are feeling that way. I know how you feel... parents will always see their kids as well... kids even when they are old and gray haha. It's very annoying. Move away if you are feeling suffocated.

There are TONS of options for a vegetarian too as far as food goes. Every place I went when I was there had options for Vegans/Vegetarians even the pizza places. Many many many stores, restaruants etc. that had all organic food. It was so refreshing.

The U of O is a beautiful campus and I hear it's a good school. My friend that I stayed with for the week I was there attends it. They usually post job listings on their website if you go to it. Maybe you could get a job there. That's what I'm going to try to do (eventually). I work at UCLA now so I'm hoping my experience will translate there. I'm not counting on it though. You will have to be prepared for the fact that unemployment is rather high there and it's hard to get jobs but as long as you move with some money to live on while you look for work you should be fine.

As for housing under 250k oh yeah! I went around looking at the houses that were for sale and they had the little papers in the front that said how much the house was priced at and ALL of them were under 250k. Even the really big 4 and 5 bedroom ones. I think that the Internet sellers price them higher because they think they can get more out of people cashing out on equity so I think the best thing to do would be to move here and rent for a while then buy locally. There are tons of apartments that are pet friendly. I have two cats and a dog and have already found a bunch of pet friendly places. You may have to rent an apt. first though.

As for commuting - Eugene is VERY bike friendly and walkable. There really are bike paths everywhere and people drive really slow so it's less scary to walk around there. It's a small city too so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. It's probably a good idea to have a car but public transportation is available and you can always ride a bike.

As far as safe neighborhoods by the school, it's probably just the opposite. The further you get from the school the safer it is, but Eugene is not really "dangerous" in the first place. There's a LOT of petty and property crime there and if you have a bike or car you'll really want to secure it, but violent crime is very low there. I would stay away from the Whiteaker area, the Bethel - Danebo area, the downtown and college hill areas although a previous poster says it's not dangerous there and my friends say that's where a lot of the petty crime happens so I'm not sure who is right. Everyone I know lives in the Santa Clara area (north) Eugene and they don't have to lock up their cars or houses or anything. I think North and the South West/East parts of Eugene are the best. The center has more crime but it's also going to be more convenient to what you want so I guess you have to decide which is a higher priority for you. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM

66 posts, read 241,191 times
Serious, I think you'll make a great fit in Eugene. We could always use more vegetarians. Pack up your bags and get over here. I think you'll be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area