U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,000 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are getting our little 1923 bungalow fixed-up so we can sell, hopefully, in the next few to several months. We have day jobs, as well as our home business, which there just isn't room for in this house. Since we are not wealthy, we can't affored to add on, and there is no way we can afford a bigger house here. We feel that we are "West Coast" people, for a variety of reasons, so we are focusing on the Northwest (Oregon, Washington and Canada).
I have the greatest comfort zone as far as Oregon is concerned, and have a brother who has lived in Eugene for 15 years, but he was able to transfer there with his job. The big issues, of course, are jobs, affordable housing and healthcare. My husband and I tend to not like working for big corporations, but at least one of us has to get a job with health benefits. This is one of the issues which makes us turn our sights to Canada, as well. We have visited both Eugene and Portland and find both of these cities attractive for different reasons. We are progressive-thinking, open-minded and like to have a little "edginess" in our environment.
We are doing research very carefully on Northwest cities, as my husband really does not want to move again (we have thousands of books to move from our book business). I have talked to some realtors in Portland, Eugene and Vancouver, but as I said, I am trying to gather as much information as possible from all sources. Anyone care to comment on quality of life, jobs and healthcare in these areas? Also, what about "collective mindset" as far as both wisely, and pragmatically considering evironment and development in order to sustain the communities in question in the future?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM

17 posts, read 63,969 times
Default lots of questions...

i have been doing a lot of research as to where to move to for school. i am interested in teaching at a waldorf school. there are only a few training schools in this country and one of them is in eugene. from doing my research it seems almost perfect for me. i am wondering if these things are in eugene:
*lots of affordable fresh, organic foods with local markets (it's very rare and expensive where i live, and nothing is "local")
*parks, easy acess to the beach and mountains
*pedestrian friendly (i hate driving every where i have to go)
*small unique shops (dont care to be surrounded by much of anything main stream- i've had my fill here in daytona beach)
*younger crowd, but also diversified (not ALL young)
*some sun :-)
*affordable rent (meaning less than $1,000 a month for a two or three bedroom apt.or house)
*any info about health insurance market in this area (people in need.... i am currently studying health insurance as a second job- first job is waitress)
*festivals of all sorts
*i dont drink so i dont care about the bar scene, but would like some night life (i dont mean meat markets, but maybe some unique dance clubs, like salsa, swing, etc)
*not right in the middle of the city. i want a back yard to grow my own garden. and i would love to rent a house as opposed to an apartment.
*also how long does it actually take to get to portland, cali, the beach, mountains?
*from what other posters say the crime is mostly located in one area that (from other posts) seems to be off to the side, in a poorer neighborhood. that's pretty much how it is in daytona, so i'm not so worried about it. i live in a suburb off of daytona (port orange) where the cops are so bored they pull you over for (what's seems like ) fun. so is that area basically, not so bad, but don't drive there at night? or am i getting the wrong impression?
*please please any other tidbits would be great.
*also any suburb type area within 15-20 minutes of the city that might fit the profile better???
*like many other culturally deprived floridians, this place sounds like my personal heaven for the next few years.. am i right?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 PM

106 posts, read 124,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princhepesa View Post
i have been doing a lot of research as to where to move to for school. i am interested in teaching at a waldorf school. there are only a few training schools in this country and one of them is in eugene. from doing my research it seems almost perfect for me. i am wondering if these things are in eugene:
*lots of affordable fresh, organic foods with local markets (it's very rare and expensive where i live, and nothing is "local")
*small unique shops (dont care to be surrounded by much of anything main stream- i've had my fill here in daytona beach)
*affordable rent (meaning less than $1,000 a month for a two or three bedroom apt.or house)
*any info about health insurance market in this area (people in need.... i am currently studying health insurance as a second job- first job is waitress)
*festivals of all sorts
*i dont drink so i dont care about the bar scene, but would like some night life (i dont mean meat markets, but maybe some unique dance clubs, like salsa, swing, etc)
*not right in the middle of the city. i want a back yard to grow my own garden. and i would love to rent a house as opposed to an apartment.
*also how long does it actually take to get to portland, cali, the beach, mountains?
*from what other posters say the crime is mostly located in one area that (from other posts) seems to be off to the side, in a poorer neighborhood. that's pretty much how it is in daytona, so i'm not so worried about it. i live in a suburb off of daytona (port orange) where the cops are so bored they pull you over for (what's seems like ) fun. so is that area basically, not so bad, but don't drive there at night? or am i getting the wrong impression?
*also any suburb type area within 15-20 minutes of the city that might fit the profile better???
*like many other culturally deprived floridians, this place sounds like my personal heaven for the next few years.. am i right?

wow,thats exactly how i feel.thanks for writing all that because i never would have thought of all those questions.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 81,851 times
I went to college in Eugene and didn't have a problem with any crime, I had a great time. I rode my bike everywhere, walked some too. Love the area I would recommend that town to anyone, somewhat hard to find work, depends on what you do. check out craigslist.org sometimes there are quite a few postings especially for students. Definately eat at the Glenwood, good the next morning after a hang over. The Oregon Country Fair is beautiful and peaceful though now it's a bit touristy. I actually used to perform in one of the shows as a kid, would recommend the experience to anyone. Yes my parents are counter culture hippies. Love them not enough of them around anymore.
To all who are planning on Eugene it's a great place to live, raise a family, attend college. There are some really cool natural hot springs about 1 hour southeast if you don't mind naked people. Pretty cool!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 PM

26 posts, read 166,963 times
Quote:
*festivals of all sorts

Farmers Market is every Tuesday downtown and they also have the Saturday Market which has lots of organic food and locally made items and some colorful people. There are also some great grocery stores that carry organic food - Market of CHoice, SUndance, Wild Oats - to name a few.
Plenty of different farms around the area, so you can go out and buy produce or pick berries or whatever. Blackberries are like weeds here. Literally. They have to constantly be cut back from the side of the road, so during August usually, you can find blackberries to pick on the side of the road or a lon the bike paths.

There are TONS of parks around here. Most maintained very nicely. Lots of hiking/ running trails - plenty to explore. We are pretty much a straight shot to the coast- Florence, Oregon. Only takes an hour to drive out there. There are lots of parks and plenty of things to explore up and down the Oregon coast. If you want snow or the mountains, you are only about 45 minutes from that up McKenzie Highway ( highway 20). Portland is about 2 hours away.

Good public transportation, lots of bike lanes, lots of people walk.

All of the unique shops are downtown. If you want Walmart or Target, you can still find those, but they are located more on the outer parts of town.

There is rain, there is sun. Last summer in July we had a week that hit 100. It was miserable. Weather is pretty nice from end of June to October. Rainy season usually picks up by the 3rd or 4th week of October and tapers off by mid June. This past winter has been a drier one, not as much rain. The first year of rain, you will be shocked at how much there is. The second year, it tends to bring you down a bit. By the third year, I think you just get used to it. I don't think it is bad though. It is beautiful here, and I love the humidity and the fact that it is green year round.

Rent is affordable. You can find some decent places for under $1,000. ( apartments) not sure about houses. It depends on where you want to live and what you are looking for. The closer you get the the University of Oregon, the more the rent.

I can't tell you much about health insurance. My husband's employer provides that and we have quite good insurance, so I haven't been without.

There are lots of interesting events that go on in the area. In the summer there is the COuntry Fair - basically a hippie/ semi nudist event. LOL it is usually out in Veneta, it doesn't appeal to me, so I don't go. There is the Eugene Celebration in September. The world reknowned Bach Festival in June. There are a lot of fun little eateries, lots of local art, music etc.

I am not sure about the night life - not my cup of tea. Married with two young children.

As far as crime, my spouse has had his window shattered twice and this past January they stole a bag in his car that had his wallet etc. You have the occasional meth bust, or meth based crime, but I think most cities now a days have that.

The Eugene/Springfield area is around 200,000. I came here initially to go to school in 1994, and we stayed. It really does grow on you. We are big into recycling here, which I love. You can recycle just about anything (curbside). There are smaller communities around - Cottage Grove, Junction City, Veneta. But we are talking SMALL. Better to just live in the Eugene/Springfield area. Traffic isn't bad either.

There is a good mix of liberal and conservative. That can be good and bad. Usually a lot of things within the city don't get done because there are too many people protesting. LOL Downtown is laid back, liberal - hippie like. When you get away from dowtown, you can find more conservative views.

Hope this answers some of your questions. We may be moving to the Seattle area this summer. Makes me sad to leave Eugene, but at least it is still the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,599 times
Quote:
*festivals of all sorts
1. Absolutely, including Saturday market (every week) during the warmer months. Plus, many food markets here have local & organic foods.
2. Great parks, about 45 min. to an hour from the ocean, fairly close to the mountains (& skiiing/snowboarding etc).
3. More pedestrian friendly than Florida!! (I used to be a resident myself). There are bike paths and bike lanes on the streets, good public transportation (bus lines), and plenty of things close enough to walk to - if you live in Eugene and not an "outlying" area.
4. Small unique shops are inherently Eugene.
5. Crowd is okay. Some areas will have a multitude of college students, while others have a multitude of "the Eugene hippie". It's not terribly ethnically diverse here, but it still has a wide range of people.
6. Hmmm...there is "some" sun in the summer. Be prepared for grey a lot of the time though.
7. Definitely affordable rent. You WILL find a nice apartment (or sometimes even a house) where the rent is less than $1000. Easy.
8. As for the health insurance thing, there are 2 hospitals here. I guess you could try to get a job at one of those. I've heard it is difficult to get a waitress job here unless you have mega-experience.
9. Festivals are also inherently Eugene. Many, many festivals!!
10. There are some night life options that are not exclusively "bar". Try the Strand at Cozmic Pizza, they have live bands often, salsa lessons/dancing, etc. Also, the Wow Hall is fun if the right person is playing. The University has ballroom dancing nights often, and there is a tango center and another dance place that I believe do Fri and Sat night events.
11. Plenty of options as far as slightly outside the city. There are smaller towns just on the outskirts of Eugene, and even still "Eugene" that are further from the downtown area. I'm not sure what you'd pay rent-wise on that, but I will tell you that I bought a house fairly cheap in Cottage Grove and I love it. A slightly longer drive, but worth it to me.
12. Portland - roughly 2 hours freeway (I-5).
California - the border takes about 3.5 -4 hours, to San Fran or something will take you about 8-9.
Beach - Florence is 45 min-1 hour, Other nice beaches (Seaside/Canon Beach) are more like 3-4 depending on if you take I-5 and cut over or go on the ocean highways.
Mountains - anywhere from 1-4 I would guess, depending on which mountain and how much snow there is.
13. I would say the "bad" area is the Whitaker neighborhood, more poor/homeless and drug problems. Right next to campus has a lot of bike theft and car break-ins, but it really isn't so horrible that I'd suggest someone should live there. College Hill is a very nice area, I think one poster was confused as to what constitutes college hill. I'd love to live there, but the houses are definitely more expensive. The cost of houses here is very cheap compared to many other areas though.
14. Other tidbits: it rains a lot, there are many "hippies", the malls are not amazing but you will find many well-known department stores, allergies run rampant here so if you don't have them now you may still develop them.
15. Suburbs - Veneta (don't like it, looked for a house here and it's a very odd little town)
Coburg - a little backwoods but quaint
Springfield - not really a suburb, but houses are often cheaper, there are more industrial type neighborhoods that I would stay away from.
Cottage Grove - I love this little town, but it is a good 20-25 minutes freeway drive.
Creswell - would not recommend it unless you are looking in the more rural areas of Creswell, right in the town is a bit gross. It is only about 10-15 minutes from Eugene.

It may be your personal heaven...check it out!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 10,381 times
So while we're on the topic...

What defines the Whiteaker neighborhood? Oddly, a lot of people have suggested it to me as a "fun and artsy" part of town, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure. Yesterday I called about an apartment near W. 11th & Chambers and am wondering if this is technically Whiteaker (on the "neighborhood map" it looks to be several blocks south of Whiteaker proper) and, if not, how safe this area is.

To put this in context: I'm about to move to Eugene to begin grad school and, thanks to years of living in crime-ridden (and at times downright scary) neighborhoods in Cleveland, Baltimore, Worcester and Oakland, I'm a little traumatized and need to live somewhere a little less...scary. I can handle frequent vandalism and the occasional mugging, but I'm not excited about falling asleep to the sound of sirens and bullets. I'm youngish (under 30) and married, but my husband has to stay in the Bay Area for work (I am bringing a pretty big dog along). I want to live somewhere quiet but still somewhat urban (I'd like to be able to walk to a coffee shop or a small local grocery store), but I don't want to live somewhere that will make me afraid to leave my house at night or where my being perceived as a young, single woman might put me at risk.

Any advice? Thanks!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 PM

54 posts, read 397,920 times
I would talk to the housing department at the UofO and tell them about your need and worries, also check out the Eugene Police Dept website (they have police calls logged at the site). No bullets flying...petty meth crimes mostly but the area is changing and it would be best to research. For a quick move that is safe, Chase Village Apartments or Boulders (all on the North) but a short bike ride on the path to campus. Dogs okay at both properties

Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM

2,099 posts, read 3,196,113 times
BlueVelveeta- Whiteaker is a neighborhood that roughly extends west from the 105 highway about 12 blocks to Chambers (which turns into River Road) and north from 6th Ave. to the Willamette river. The apartments are not the most desirable. They look run down to me. However, there are some cool, funky homes, many with nice porches that would be pretty cool to live in. As far as the apartment you may look at, you are right, it isn't located in Whiteaker. Whiteaker has a bit of crime, no shootings and helicopters searching for people or anything, but you do see a ton of vagrants walking around. Their is this urban myth I've heard that somewhere in Whiteaker there is a vortex to another dimension and that is why you see some odd types there-LOL. But, there are some artsy people there and a few murals that are super cool. You may want to look south of Whiteaker near downtown. There are places to rent there, many large houses that have been converted into apartments. Also, College Hill/Friendly Street area is nice and may have homes or duplexes to rent. Plus, both those areas are very safe and a lot of liberal, activists with money live in that area as it is quieter than Whiteaker. Washburne District in Springfield is cool, but I don't see too many places for rent there. I hope this clarifies some things for you. let me know if you need more info on Eugene. I've lived here for 7 years now, but I'll be moving to Austin, TX in a month.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,494,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
Clean dredds? Wow!!! It takes talent (or a salon) to have good looking clean dreads. Many people just think they can stop washing their hair and rat it and it will look like nice dreads. WRONG!!!!! Maybe you can teach the people down there a thing or two.

My favorite restaurant in Eugene is .... is..... dang.... it is a little cafe in a house that is next to the 7-11 on the U of O campus. Get their home fries with cheese on them!!!!! Best you have ever had..... Man, what is the name.....
Its the Glenwood.....Love those cheese fry's....Took my girlfrind there on 1st date, and now married for 14 years. They had good cheesecake too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area