U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,810,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorr97 View Post
My family and I are traveling down from Medford on the 26th heading toward Eugene. We're staying in Eugene on November 26th. 27th (Thanksgiving Day) and leaving on the 28th. Can anybody suggest any sites a family should check out on our way up to Eugene and in the city and a great restaurant for a Thanksgiving Dinner. On the 28th we'll be heading back to Medford by evening. We're flying back on the 29th. Any suggestions for Medford/Ashland since we'll be there on the evening of the 24th, all day 25th, and part of the 28th and 29th ( we fly back home).
Hey there... here's a list of a few restaurants in Eugene:

Chow! : Eugene Weekly's Restaurant Guide (http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2004/04/15/chow/listings.html - broken link)

Perhaps just try calling around and asking if they are planning on doing a Turkey-Day spread?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,330,102 times
Thumbs down springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSuzu View Post
I am helping my brother relocate to the area from CA. He has a job in Eugene off of 5th St. and is looking for a safe and quite place to live that is an easy commute. Max rent $700/mo. His new co-workers had recommended Springfield. He is definitely not into parties/loud music, etc. Can anyone help with details about Springfield or another area that may be close by?

Thanks in advance for the info!
If you're open minded and liberal, springfield is not for you. Stay in Eugene. Back in the mid-90's Springfield was one of two Oregon cities -Canby's the other - that voted against equal rights and protection for the GLBT community. It's always been Eugene's conservative blue collar sister. If you love Colorado Springs or Orange County, CA you'll probably love Springfield.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,810,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
If you love Colorado Springs or Orange County, CA you'll probably love Springfield.
I've heard people call Springfield "Springtucky". I used to try to defend Springfield, but as time passes I have a harder and harder time doing so. Flower pots don't make a city safer, sorry gang. It's unfortunate.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 PM

231 posts, read 732,186 times
Thumbs up Best BBQ in Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by aipperdog View Post
Moving to Eugene-what restaurants are good? I prefer mom and pop places rather than big franchises. Any BBQ? Restaurants that hire? I have 17 years exp. in the restaruant industry primarily cooking BBQ. How about a BBQ and crab shack??
Best BBQ in Eugene area, in my humble opinion, is Howling Coyote BBQ (in Springfield, but very close to Eugene). Here's my "official" review:

http://eugenified.com/reviews/howling-coyote-bbq-co/

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellelasvegas View Post
How is eugene for an interracial couple? are people pretty racist up there as it is mostly white?
The blue collar crowd is probably a bit racist but they generally keep their mouths shut about it. If you don't have much contact with them, then you don't feel it at all.

The university area crowd (both students and non-students) are very wise (i.e. non-racist). You will have no problem at all. Rarely a second glance in most cases.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,147 times
Default Eugene questions

Hi,

Thanks for this information. I actually might be moving from Berkeley to Eugene in the next months for school ... I was wondering if you did end up living in Eugene and what you thought of it once you became a resident. I heard that violent crimes have risen in the last years and it is one of the things I am most worried about. Have you or your friends had any bad experiences? Rape occurrence is especially high there. Also if you know of any streets or neighborhoods that are definitely unsafe to live in please advise. Thanks!

N

Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 AM

I have lived in Berkeley and Eugene, and I can tell you that Eugene is MUCH safer than Berkeley. No comparison. If the statistics say anything different, then you can ignore that statistician from now on. ;-)

Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM

OK, now I have finally figured out how to post picture links...

So here are a few pictures from Eugene. A few of them are just touristy shots, plus I have added a number of pics of neighborhoods in south Eugene. I took these photos last summer when I was driving around the city checking it out. Although the neighborhood photos are certainly less-than-artsy quality, I am including them here so readers can get an idea about the atmosphere in some of the neighborhoods. Here we go...

OK, the oft mentioned Eugene Farmer's Market. A fun place to go on the weekend to walk around, buy some veggies, and to check out the hippie-dippie stuff being sold. This poor veggie seller had to declare bankruptcy 15 minutes after Mrs Eugenified spotted the "free sample" sign...

Yes, more veggies. This stand is one of the more popular ones; it consistently has long lines of people waiting to pay.

One of the hippie-product sellers in the market. According to my knowledge, it costs $60 per day to rent one of these spaces. I can not figure out how these sellers manage to cover their costs, since it seems like everyone is browsing and nobody is actually buying. But they come back week after week, so they must be selling something.

This reminds me of my college days at Berkeley on Sproul Plaza. Note how hippies use triangular tables instead of square...so deep is their fear of appearing "square".

Took this shot on Polk street near 18th last fall. At that time, there were beautiful leaves of all colors all over Eugene. Probably the most beautiful autumn I have ever experienced in my life.

View of the river as I cross over from downtown to the area near the stadium (and Borders bookstore!).

Personally, I am more of a track fan than a football fan, but people around here really get into the whole experience during football season. This is a view of the stadium where UO plays their football games.

And now for some boring but hopefully useful pictures of the neighborhoods in south Eugene...

Here's a typical 60's era house in south Eugene. You'll find these south of 18th street.

A typical street in the hilly section of south Eugene. This street built as an "improved" street by the builder, i.e. the curbs and sidewalks were installed by the original developer of the area. Some like this neat & tidy feeling, while others like the more rural feeling of unimproved streets with no curbs or sidewalks. See below.

More of similar...

OK, here's a shot of an unimproved street. I think this was taken in the southwest hills area around Timberline Drive. Anyways, it shows the more rural/wild (well, not very wild, but "wilder", I guess) feeling these areas have.

And here's a similar unimproved street in a different area. A little rougher in this area, and the houses are older. Oh no! the dreaded "boat on a trailer" disease has entered this area! Next, there will be an infestation of RV's parked in driveways....Aaaaahhhhh! (I really hate the selfish people that park these eyesores in nice areas)

Oh my deer!
We are still new enough to the area to get excited every time we see deer crossing the road or eating grass in a field (plus I yell out, "Oh my deer!" whenever I see them...This joke never gets old!). More savvy locals just grumble something about their rose bushes whenever they see deer.

Here's a shot from the aptly named Friendly area. 1950's era houses with a big ol' heaping of grown-up hippie (contradiction?) culture. If you like that sort of thing, and enjoy working on your house, then this is the place for you. By the way, most of the Friendly area is situated in the flat area at the foot of the hills.

Sunrise Asian Market is a good place to buy Chinese, Korean, and Japanese fresh food and ingredients. It is located across from Market of Choice, the mostest awesomest gourmet-ish hippie-ish market in the world...Way better than those actual hippie markets like The Kiva.

Here's a shot of a house in the hills east of UO. Pretty cool atmosphere over there but that place is damn hilly, thus houses tend to have a distinctly "perched on the edge" feeling. Some have some nice views as a result.

When we first looked at Eugene, we were very enamored with the idea of buying one of these old fixer-uppers in the flat section just west of UO. Then I realized I am way to lazy to deal with all the work and the semi-evil contractors I would need to do it. Still, this might be a cool way of life if you are more energetic than I am.

The southwest hills around Timberline Drive are more my style.

OK, so that's it. Hope you enjoyed the pics and comments!

Mr. Eugenified

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM

351 posts, read 1,176,786 times
Mr Eugenified..... the picture summery is AWESOME, I am sure many will really appreciate it !!

Thank You

Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 17,604 times
Thank you so much for the pics. I am trying to decide between Eugene and Salem. Both are great communities and offer different things. I really love reading all of the blogs on both and hope to start contributing myself!

Thank you again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area