Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,231 times

Advertisements

And, this link, too. Daily updates of air quality:

http://www.lrapa.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Default Sulphorous Dioxide

Not sure if those numbers count Sulphorous Dioxides emitted from Lime Kilns at Sawmills. Just stepped out of where I'm staying in the area for a few minutes, and am blasted with drizzle along with horrible, suffocating sulphorous dioxide odors (smells like rotten eggs). Yuck! And this is Track Town USA? Ah, well maybe only for those blessed without congenital allergies and sensitivities! Where in the Willamette Valley or Oregon can you get away from this foul, suffocating odor? Reminds me of "The Aroma of Tacoma" up north in Tacoma, Wa.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 AM

Default Poisionous Toxic Eugene Sulphorous Dioxides

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Not sure if those numbers count Sulphorous Dioxides emitted from Lime Kilns at Sawmills.
Geeeez! And do these mills go 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? If so, why, when Eugene is the Greenest City in Oregon? So one can't keep their windows open at night, w/o fear of an asthma attack or coughing fit? Does Ashland have a mill? Corvallis? Albany? Salem? Perhaps the environmentalists could find a cleaner place somewhere in Oregon w/o air inversions all night long?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 142,255 times
The air quality in Eugene varies greatly depending on conditions. The predominant condition is typical of a valley surrounded by hills on three sides - containment. In other words, what goes on here stays here, air-wise. The cleanest air comes when it's raining, which unfortunately comes less often these days - we've been in a rain-deficit situation for the last several years. In the summer, when it doesn't rain for weeks, there's a build-up of car pollution, smokestack and factory emissions, the trainyard (see - OTA: Railyard Contamination - Air Pollution (http://www.oregontoxics.org/railyard/rr_ap.html - broken link)) and the usual pollens and allergens. The worst areas are the west and north sides, proximate to the industrial areas. The U of O is on the east side, which is residential for the most part, so the air is a little better there (Tracktown). Also, up in the South Hills you're above it a bit. I'm a daily runner and cyclist so I notice the air quality fluctuations on a daily basis. I've developed sinusitis since living here (10 years). Quite common here, according to my doctor.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Sinusitis Initiation In Eugene Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymelyte View Post
The air quality in Eugene varies greatly depending on conditions. The predominant condition is typical of a valley surrounded by hills on three sides - containment. In other words, what goes on here stays here, air-wise. The cleanest air comes when it's raining, which unfortunately comes less often these days - we've been in a rain-deficit situation for the last several years. In the summer, when it doesn't rain for weeks, there's a build-up of car pollution, smokestack and factory emissions, the trainyard (see - OTA: Railyard Contamination - Air Pollution (http://www.oregontoxics.org/railyard/rr_ap.html - broken link)) and the usual pollens and allergens. The worst areas are the west and north sides, proximate to the industrial areas. The U of O is on the east side, which is residential for the most part, so the air is a little better there (Tracktown). Also, up in the South Hills you're above it a bit. I'm a daily runner and cyclist so I notice the air quality fluctuations on a daily basis. I've developed sinusitis since living here (10 years). Quite common here, according to my doctor.
Sorry to hear about the development of your sinusitis in Eugene. That's a potentially incurable condition that's difficult to treat, once its initiated by pollution and/or allergens (just like COPD and other respiratory disorders).

Overall, do you think that the Air Quality is better in Corvallis or Ashland (OR) due to the smaller population? Fortunately there are other choices in Oregon.

Sounds like Boulder, CO and Denver are in same category as Eugene as having high air pollution, yet a very athletic population. Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe are much better.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
I'd heard that a large paper mill in Albany contributed to pollution problems in the Valley, but then I read this article about how it was supposed to close down last December. Did that happen? Good news for air quality, bad for employment.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM

72 posts, read 142,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Sorry to hear about the development of your sinusitis in Eugene. That's a potentially incurable condition that's difficult to treat, once its initiated by pollution and/or allergens (just like COPD and other respiratory disorders).

Overall, do you think that the Air Quality is better in Corvallis or Ashland (OR) due to the smaller population? Fortunately there are other choices in Oregon.

Sounds like Boulder, CO and Denver are in same category as Eugene as having high air pollution, yet a very athletic population. Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe are much better.
Not sure about Ashland, although I don't know of heavy industry there. Corvallis is not as hemmed in by the hills as is Eugene so the air there, as well as Portland, is better than Eugene in my experience (localized pockets notwithstanding). Again, Eugene's location, combined with a concentration of some local "smokestack" industries (i.e., those with emissions seen or unseen), makes the air quality suffer here. And it may be the location, surrounded by hills on three sides, that makes the most difference. The native American tribes apparently referred to the area around Eugene as the Valley of Death (or Sickness, some interpretations have it), so assuming there were no industrial polluters around then, I assume the tribes were referring to the general fog/allergen/pollen condition of this area. So often, when the rest of the valley is clear and sunny, Eugene will be socked in with fog, often all day. And if the conditions are holding fog, then they are holding everything else too.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

I was just looking at city-data's "top 101 cities" lists and found that Eugene's air might not be as bad as it's made out to be, at least not in 2005 when the measurements were taken.

Under counties with the highest carbon monoxide levels, Lane County (Eugene) did better than Jackson County (Ashland). Jackson County ranked 18th worst in the nation, Lane County was 71st.

Under counties with highest annual particulate matter rankings, by the way, no county in Oregon made the top 101 list, but Bernalillo County (Albuquerque, NM) ranked 23rd highest.

Nitrogen dioxide: no county in Oregon made the top 101, but again Bernalillo County, New Mexico was 64th.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM

lymelyte: Can you provide a reference for this claim about the Native Americans calling it "Valley of Death" or is that just hearsay? I didn't find anything doing a quick internet search.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymelyte View Post
Not sure about Ashland, although I don't know of heavy industry there. Corvallis is not as hemmed in by the hills as is Eugene so the air there, as well as Portland, is better than Eugene in my experience (localized pockets notwithstanding). Again, Eugene's location, combined with a concentration of some local "smokestack" industries (i.e., those with emissions seen or unseen), makes the air quality suffer here. And it may be the location, surrounded by hills on three sides, that makes the most difference. The native American tribes apparently referred to the area around Eugene as the Valley of Death (or Sickness, some interpretations have it), so assuming there were no industrial polluters around then, I assume the tribes were referring to the general fog/allergen/pollen condition of this area. So often, when the rest of the valley is clear and sunny, Eugene will be socked in with fog, often all day. And if the conditions are holding fog, then they are holding everything else too.
Great information, and thank you. I don't remember Corvallis having the amount of fog, humidity, drizzle, and dampness as Eugene has, when I lived in Corvallis. Neither does Seattle. I knew that the Native Americans said this about the Willamette Valley, but I didn't know they were specifically referring to areas around Eugene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area