Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 29,080 times

Advertisements

I've really enjoyed reading the Oregon threads (like a fly on the wall), and I appreciate everyone's helpfulness and sense of humor! I have finally decided to ask a question of my own.

I would like to move to Eugene, but I'm very concerned about employment. My family has a house I can use, so I would only have to pay utilities. Even so, I have some hefty student loans and cannot be making minimum wage. I have college degrees, but when I look at the unemployment rate (above national average?) and hear about the "depressed economy"... well, I'm concerned. So, finally, to my question. Can anyone tell me about a personal experience, or that of a friend, or a sister, or a friend's friend's friend, that involves job hunting in Eugene?

Obviously I will be looking in advance of moving, but I've noticed that many ads say "Apply in Person" and I'm guessing it is because they don't want me, WAAAAYYYY up in Alaska, taking jobs away from the people who are already living there. Which, by the way, I can totally respect. I just want to be closer to family, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about landing a good paying job.

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,092 times
It seems to me that having a house you can use in the area will compensate for an awful lot of economic penalty that may or may not come about by trying to get established in Eugene. If it's where you want to be, it sounds like the stars are aligning in your favor.
"Apply in person" is a common requirement for filtering out freaks in low-paying service jobs where you might have direct contact with the public (if your dreadlocks go past your knees or your number of facial piercings exceeds your age in years...even in Eugene such a thing could be problematic). But it sounds a bit unusual for a professional position. The other message that might be in there is that they don't want to deal with job-finding services or thousands of e-resumes. I don't think job displacement of native Eugeneans is a concern. If you're a U.S. citizen, you have the right of mobility within the republic.
There are two philosophies about the order in which you should move and find employment. 1.) Get the job first, then move. 2.) Move, then find a job.
1.) When you're just starting out, you often need to follow the job, even if that means not going to your area of first choice. Get some experience, save some money, pay down some school debt, and after a few years you'll be in a better position to compete for the best areas. Perhaps you'll even have found a way to play the social network to get yourself where you want to be.
2.) Sometimes you just have to go for it. You might not find a job you want in the place you want to be. You might have to get established first. Move where you want, start by temping or taking whatever pays the bills and try and be in the right place at the right time when your ship comes in.

You'll have to decide if your natural disposition better suits you to #1 or #2

Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 AM

53 posts, read 267,231 times
Well, if you can drive, the local city bus company; the Lane Transit District has full & part time positions starting at 15$ an hour...Lots of night & weekend work.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: