U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 AM

10 posts, read 35,213 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for a position at UO. My wife and I really like the Portland area but she prefers a smaller city. Eugene would seem perfect. We currently live in the Austin-San Antonio corridor. Has anyone else made such a move? Also, we currently live on a 1 acre lot outside the city limits w/o a home owners association. This means we can have chickens, grow whatever we want in our garden, fence the property as we like, etc. We also live in a fairly stable neighborhood with no concern about crime ie. burglaries. Our neighbors even have lamas in a corral. Where in the Eugene area could we find something like our property here? http://tinyurl.com/5om47k (broken link)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,435,271 times
Home owners associations are rare here. I don't think you'll find quite the same situation for a home in Eugene. Since you are looking for an acre then maybe try outside of the city in Pleasant Hill,Fall Creek or Dexter. There's a lake out that way too.

If you can do without the extra land then perhaps the south hills of Eugene will work for you. It's one of the best areas of the city.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 35,213 times
Thanks, not really looking for an acre, but definitely are looking for a large garden, chickens, composting, maximum sustainability, etc. But would like to be car free too and work in the city. Can this be done?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 85,617 times
I would recommend that you spend some time surfing around www.rmls.com.

You would want to search Lane County, and if you are looking to be car free you would probably want to stay pretty close to the city limits of Eugene/Springfield. We do have a bus system as well as extensive bike trails and lanes. Eugene/Springfield is very bicycle friendly.

I might also add that if you come up with listings in the "Thurston" area, that is part of Springfield and inlcuded in the bus system.

Last edited by LisaLooLoo; 07-14-2008 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Add Thurston Info

Old 07-14-2008, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,363 times
Default We're Considering a move from OK to Florence, OR

Any info would be appreciated. The housing market seems quite high compared to Oklahoma. I want to be closer to my son and grandson, but, don't know if it is a possibility due to the higher cost of living. If anyone knows of good realtors I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 AM

30 posts, read 203,336 times
I have lived in Oregon for 10 years and have spent a lot of the last 2 years in San Antonio (injured military daughter at BAMC). I personally think the main culture shock you will experience moving from there is the extreme liberal attitude of the area. Conservatives in Oregon call that area The People's Republic of Eugene. Just a little fore-warning. I personally would not have any of my children attend U of O.

I live in a rural area south of Salem, and you can get nice homes without 'city rules' in most rural areas of Oregon. You will just have to be in the farmland, and not in the city, if you want chickens and such. Prices are also pretty high here compared to there, like about double for homes and land, so that is something else you will have to check and compare. And the state tax rate is pretty high. I think property taxes, tho, are higher in TX. Of course, it depends on where you have your property. Make sure you do your homework, for sure. It is beautiful, but there are drawbacks, so you will have to check for what works for you! Hope that helps!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM

36 posts, read 89,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleriver View Post
I have lived in Oregon for 10 years and have spent a lot of the last 2 years in San Antonio (injured military daughter at BAMC). I personally think the main culture shock you will experience moving from there is the extreme liberal attitude of the area. Conservatives in Oregon call that area The People's Republic of Eugene. Just a little fore-warning. I personally would not have any of my children attend U of O.

I live in a rural area south of Salem, and you can get nice homes without 'city rules' in most rural areas of Oregon. You will just have to be in the farmland, and not in the city, if you want chickens and such. Prices are also pretty high here compared to there, like about double for homes and land, so that is something else you will have to check and compare. And the state tax rate is pretty high. I think property taxes, tho, are higher in TX. Of course, it depends on where you have your property. Make sure you do your homework, for sure. It is beautiful, but there are drawbacks, so you will have to check for what works for you! Hope that helps!

What is wrong with The U of O if you don't mind me asking? Is it a bad school or something?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,807,076 times
Quote:
I'm a Dallas,TX girl and all my life felt I was liberal. I just didn't "fit in" with the conservative republican types I knew in my native Texas. I moved to Oregon when I was 27 and suddenly I felt like a born-again right-wing Christian republican. Oregon liberals are extremely liberal. They make southern liberals look like Mormons. And I hope this doesn't offend anyone - I don't mean to say anything offensive. It's just a very different culture here in the Pacific Northwest. People seem to lean passionately to one extreme or the other, and if you aren't with them, and they can't sell you their beef, then they assume you're against them. It's kinda crazy!

It's completely avoidable if you're like my husband and I - keep to yourself and don't get into any conversations that deal with politics. Talk about food - that's usually a good, safe, topic of conversation! People love all kinds of food out here. It's a common denominator no matter who you are. As long as it's grown locally, grass-fed, organic, free from hormones and pesticides, non-GMO, and so on...

To the original poster - Yes. Especially around the south hills, parts of the river road areas, and Moon Mountain. Lorane, Crow, maybe Elmira to the south. Junction City and Coburg to the north might be options. I'd try to stick with Eugene though. Yes, you can find something like that. Prolly in the 250K - 300K range. Happy hunting!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 30,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda562 View Post
What is wrong with The U of O if you don't mind me asking? Is it a bad school or something?
I don't understand why someone wouldn't send their kids to the UO. As the poster didn't give a reason why, I'd write it off. I'm assuming this person had a bad experience at some point.

UO is part of the Association of American Universities (AAU)
An Organization of leading research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education. It consists of just 60 universities in the United States, both public and private.

It's not an elite university by any means. But it just as good as your next
university in California, Texas, etc.

Here's a Wiki Link

University of Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the official school website

University of Oregon

And if you google, you'll find a lot more information about the University

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,141,977 times
Quote:

If your children have the same close-minded attitude as you, UO doesn't want your children either. I certainly do not want my Alumni Scholarship donations going to any close-minded students.

Forget the fact, UO has one of the top Education, Special Education, Business, Sports Marketing, Journalism and Architecture programs in the entire nation (with rising programs such as biomechanics, nanotechnology, and molecular biology). I'd never want any of my kids to go to that darn liberal school in The People's Republic of Eugene, sheez!

Heck, as much as I dislike the University of Washington, I would be quite happy if one of my kids attended UW (with only minimal amounts of grief), but then again, I was educated at the U of O and I'm not close-minded.

Last edited by Acuda; 07-18-2008 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area