Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 PM

25 posts, read 208,802 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Eugene and had zeroed in on Santa Clara and the South Hills areas and now I'm wondering about Veneta.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Very small town that has started to take on Eugene-suburban characteristics the past several yerars. This place will look very different in ten years, however, now might be a good time to buy!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dish View Post
We're moving to Eugene and had zeroed in on Santa Clara and the South Hills areas and now I'm wondering about Veneta.

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!
LIved there....escaped in 1997, terrible grocery stores, takes a long time to get to eugene in traffic.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM

46 posts, read 100,035 times
I have to chime in. We found (on the internet) a great house in Elmira (sister city to Veneta) drove all the way from out of state to see it. Yes, nice house, but TERRIBLE AREA! I am being very honest. Here's what we saw and didnt like: We were looking at a $900,000 house. The next door neighbor was a trailer house. No biggy... but there were three cars with no wheels. A shed falling over. Goats all over the place. and the best (worst) part? Three guys out front on a couch drinking from beer cans!!! I wasnt impressed and would not invest any $$ there. We drove thru town and counted the front yard couches and lazy boys and lost count at 20.

The only kids we saw were three teenaged girls walking down a dirt/gravel road with high heels and shorty shorts. Playing dress up I presume.

If you dont mind those things then check it out. I expected something very different.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMom View Post
I have to chime in. We found (on the internet) a great house in Elmira (sister city to Veneta) drove all the way from out of state to see it. Yes, nice house, but TERRIBLE AREA! I am being very honest. Here's what we saw and didnt like: We were looking at a $900,000 house. The next door neighbor was a trailer house. No biggy... but there were three cars with no wheels. A shed falling over. Goats all over the place. and the best (worst) part? Three guys out front on a couch drinking from beer cans!!! I wasnt impressed and would not invest any $$ there. We drove thru town and counted the front yard couches and lazy boys and lost count at 20.

The only kids we saw were three teenaged girls walking down a dirt/gravel road with high heels and shorty shorts. Playing dress up I presume.

If you dont mind those things then check it out. I expected something very different.
Let's just say Veneta is "in transition" right now!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,094 times
Default Veneta and Elmira would be cool if

the people that run the city would quit making such stupid spending decisions. Worse yet, they make them with little or no input from the people that live here.

I've lived here almost 20 years. As soon as I find a buyer for my house, I'm out of here.

And the rates? I'm a single guy using relatively little water and I pay OVER TWICE as much for water and sewage than my friend who has a family of four in Eugene (2 teen age daughters).

And if you want to build a house here be prepared to grease the palms of the city fathers with $10,000 just for the permission to do so.

I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to this hole.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,434 times
Growth in Eugene has been in the west area and that flows right into Veneta so housing there will be cheaper than Eugene(I can't imagine spending 900,000 on a house in Veneta)So like it was said ,you might have to wait for the improvements to catch up.One way around the neighbor problem is move into an area with a H.O.A.

Last edited by turnerfamily; 07-26-2007 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,406 times
Angry Veneta - Do InDepth Checking Before Buying!!!

Just moved to Veneta and wish I had read this page & taken it seriously before doing so! Sewer & water is $45.00 monthly just to have the priveledge of being hooked up - that's before you use anything! The City has required EVERYONE to be hooked up even if you have an existing septic system. I also found out why the people that sold us the house left - new city ordinance (LID) passed regarding "Public Improvements" and the share for this property (only 1/2 acre) is rumored to be close to $20,000 to be paid within 30days of when the City decides to proceed with the project (they have already voted to do so - with much opposition from the majority of the affected persons).

400 new homes have been or are being constructed. 800 to 900 more on the way. I had no idea that there were that many more houses planned for this community! I'm bummed! After seeing this house the first time we did some checking into the community, its plans for the future and the quality of life here. We were impressed with what we heard about small town living and Veneta's commitment to protecting the trees and their small-town way of life. When we asked about the Public Improvement clause in our home purchase we were told it was for sidewalk and would probably be a few hundred dollars whenever the City got around to doing it in the next few years. Since moving here I realize everyone was blowing smoke up our butts about everything! We are so screwed if our assessment is as much as rumor reports - we spent every extra cent we had on purchasing this house and repairing it so that is will be liveable. The movers & shakers in this town have no intention of keeping this town small and homey or protecting the trees either! It seems to be all about money! We are very disappointed with the political/developer crap we have heard and seen since we arrived. If we could get out of this house purchase we would! We were soooo looking forward to a slower, quieter existance here amound the trees and wildlife. It appears there won't be any of either very soon.

Last edited by White Litening; 12-02-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: to correct amount of our assessment for LID, and to correct punctuation

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM

152 posts, read 530,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Litening View Post
Just moved to Veneta and wish I had read this page & taken it seriously before doing so! Sewer & water is $45.00 monthly just to have the priveledge of being hooked up - that's before you use anything! The City has required EVERYONE to be hooked up even if you have an existing septic system. I also found out why the people that sold us the house left - new city ordinance (LID) passed regarding "Public Improvements" and the share for this property (only 1/2 acre) is rumored to be close to $20,000 to be paid within 30days of when the City decides to proceed with the project (they have already voted to do so - with much opposition from the majority of the affected persons).

400 new homes have been or are being constructed. 800 to 900 more on the way. I had no idea that there were that many more houses planned for this community! I'm bummed! After seeing this house the first time we did some checking into the community, its plans for the future and the quality of life here. We were impressed with what we heard about small town living and Veneta's commitment to protecting the trees and their small-town way of life. When we asked about the Public Improvement clause in our home purchase we were told it was for sidewalk and would probably be a few hundred dollars whenever the City got around to doing it in the next few years. Since moving here I realize everyone was blowing smoke up our butts about everything! We are so screwed if our assessment is as much as rumor reports - we spent every extra cent we had on purchasing this house and repairing it so that is will be liveable. The movers & shakers in this town have no intention of keeping this town small and homey or protecting the trees either! It seems to be all about money! We are very disappointed with the political/developer crap we have heard and seen since we arrived. If we could get out of this house purchase we would! We were soooo looking forward to a slower, quieter existance here amound the trees and wildlife. It appears there won't be any of either very soon.
this is the sad story in many areas of oregon that were formerly farm land, used to be not many people in this area 20 years ago, sorry to hear about your sorrows. what started as an attempt to allow old time land owners sub divide their land for plots for thier familes has become a developer land grab.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
what about Drain instead? Might be too far though, its what, about 45min. from Eugene? Grant you, theres not much there, but maybe worth looking into??
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area