Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf53 View Post
It would seem that there are some similarities between Eugene, OR and Santa Cruz, CA and Asheville, NC. Does anyone with experiences in any of these places feel the same?
I briefly lived in Eugene back in the day as a Nannny. I was born and raised outside of Santa Cruz (San Jose) and currently live in Asheville, NC. My personal comparisons are this: The only sketchiness I've ever experienced in Eugene was late at night, not near the University, and was eerily familiar to the sketchy vibe I would, albeit rarely, get in Santa Cruz. Eugene and Asheville are very alike in a lot of ways in that there seems to be a good bit of gentrification going on - not sure about Santa Cruz. They both have a big "hippy" feel and arts community, music scene and all around goodness when it comes to good food.

I really really miss Oregon, though. Living in the south can really make one jaded... seeing how good it was out west. Cough... SALES TAX... cough.

Eugene driving is not bad at all. Asheville is, and I believe NC is ranked #1 for the most teenage driver related fatalitites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,548 times
This is alot to take in for someone looking to move to Eugene. My husband and I have lived in Las Vegas all our lives. We have two boys 6 and 10 that love the dunes and outdoor activities. My husband has a job offer in Eugene and we are seriously considering the move. Las Vegas seems to be on the downward spiral and just seems to be getting worse from Healthcare, Education, Jobs, Housing and I could go on and on.. The weather concerns me is it really that gloomy all the time? My husband and I stay a month or more for June gloom in Calif and love it. Is it worse then that? I have read about Northern Eugene being the nicer place to live? I'am looking for a nice area with nice homes. After reading about crime in the city of Eugen and comparing it to Las Vegas.. The pollution problem seems to worry me more. LOL... Is there a better city close to Eugene to escape the air quality.. If someone could advise it would be great anyting will help.. Thank U for your time ...

Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 AM

231 posts, read 778,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamigirl View Post
This is alot to take in for someone looking to move to Eugene. My husband and I have lived in Las Vegas all our lives. We have two boys 6 and 10 that love the dunes and outdoor activities. My husband has a job offer in Eugene and we are seriously considering the move. Las Vegas seems to be on the downward spiral and just seems to be getting worse from Healthcare, Education, Jobs, Housing and I could go on and on.. The weather concerns me is it really that gloomy all the time? My husband and I stay a month or more for June gloom in Calif and love it. Is it worse then that? I have read about Northern Eugene being the nicer place to live? I'am looking for a nice area with nice homes. After reading about crime in the city of Eugen and comparing it to Las Vegas.. The pollution problem seems to worry me more. LOL... Is there a better city close to Eugene to escape the air quality.. If someone could advise it would be great anyting will help.. Thank U for your time ...
The weather is beautiful for 5 months. The other 7 months tend to be rainy, BUT the sun comes out on many of those rainy days also. For me, it's perfect weather. Besides, the rain is what creates the beautiful green scenery everywhere. VERY different from Las Vegas. (see my profile for a day by day description of the real weather. Sorry, it does not cover the winter months yet: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ed-530124.html)

Neighborhoods: South and southwest are the best neighborhoods in my opinion, but there are some very nice developments in the center and on the north side of the city. The big difference is that all of the south side is nice (south of 20th street), but only some of the center and north side is nice. (The best schools are on the south side).

Pollution: There is not an industrial/car exhaust pollution problem to speak of in Eugene. The confusion results from people misunderstanding the government lists/data. Eugene has a "particle" problem, i.e. pollen. If you are allergic to certain types of pollen (grass seed related), then Eugene might not be the right place for you. Otherwise, zero problem.

Crime: Comparing Eugene crime versus Las Vegas crime?! Are you serious? Las Vegas has a MUCH greater crime problem than Eugene.

In general, Eugene has a much different vibe from Las Vegas. Whereas Las Vegas is very "new-ish" feeling (lots of new development, new buildings, and new roads), Eugene has a much more "established" feeling (polite way of describing some areas which are slightly "worn"). Eugene, especially south Eugene, has a strong culture of liberal thought (lots of organic, vegetarian, gardening, recycling, coffee houses, hiking, jogging, etc.), although there is definitely a significant group of citizens more focused on boats, trucks, UO football, and RV's.

Last edited by Mr Eugenified; 09-12-2010 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

639 posts, read 1,598,858 times
Hamigirl, if "gloomy" weather is a concern for you, I would seriously reconsider moving to any town in the Willamette valley (That's anywhere from Portland to Eugene).

See, the thing is that entire area is a Temperate Rainforest. (Yes, you'd be moving to a rainforest.) You can expect about 210 cloudy/overcast days per year (220 if you moved to Portland) and they are mostly grouped together instead of spread throughout the calendar.

Or, to put it in perspective; you've heard about how overcast and drizzly London is, right? I mean London is famous for it's rain! Well London is rainy, on average, about 1/3 of every month all year long. The Willamette Valley is rainy or cloudy for about 2/3 of every month from October until June. June only rains/clouds for 1/2 the month and July, august, September rains or is cloudy about 7 days each month.

I don't mean to sound gloomy, but you sound like someone who's already concerned about the weather and I just want you to know the low-down before you pull up roots and move and end up saying, "Why didn't anyone tell me it would be this dark all winter long? Why didn't anyone tell me it would be this cloudy?!"

On a brighter note:

Eugene has some great schools (especially in the southern areas), south Eugene is the place to be. There is almost no violent crime, but you will need to lock your car doors and use "the club". There's no pollution in Eugene, and the best water I ever tasted came straight from the tap in Eugene. There are tons of fun activities for kids (and grown ups) to do in Eugene, it's a great place to live and if I had a job offer there I'd move back today. FWIW.

Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,548 times
This is great info on everything. Thanks for all the information and the time. I have found some homes in the area of Springfield (Thurston) is this still the South side? They look like they are in a nice area, but looks aren't everything..LOL... I was reading about Happy lights for the gloomy weather. We are going to rent our home out here in Vegas. Just in case.. Thanks again..

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM

64 posts, read 183,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamigirl View Post
This is great info on everything. Thanks for all the information and the time. I have found some homes in the area of Springfield (Thurston) is this still the South side? They look like they are in a nice area, but looks aren't everything..LOL... I was reading about Happy lights for the gloomy weather. We are going to rent our home out here in Vegas. Just in case.. Thanks again..

Springfield is a different city. When people say south, they mean the south side of Eugene. But Thurston is generally a good area. It is a little bit of a distance from downtown Eugene and other stuff, if that's what you want, but on the other hand it is right next to nature.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,858 times
yeah, what brzzz said. IMO, living in Springfield would cancel out almost all the great reasons to live in Eugene.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM

57 posts, read 168,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Pollution: There is not an industrial/car exhaust pollution problem to speak of in Eugene. The confusion results from people misunderstanding the government lists/data. Eugene has a "particle" problem, i.e. pollen. If you are allergic to certain types of pollen (grass seed related), then Eugene might not be the right place for you. Otherwise, zero problem.
You point on grass pollen is well-taken, however, grass pollen and particulate air pollution are two completely different things. Particulate pollution is due primarily to the emissions resulting wood and field burning (the latter not much of a problem anymore due to the recent legislative changes that largely eliminated field burning).

According to LRAPA, "air quality in most of Lane County is very good, with Eugene/Springfield averaging 323 days a year in the “green” category of the air quality index. However, some of the inland areas and mountain valleys experience periods of air stagnation. When this happens during winter months, cold air often becomes trapped near the valley floor with slightly warmer air aloft, creating temperature inversion conditions. The combination of cold, stagnant air and restricted ventilation causes air pollutants to become trapped near the ground. Wintertime temperature inversions contribute to high particulate levels. Stagnant periods in the summertime contribute to increases in ozone levels, causing the local air quality to deteriorate."

Having said that, Las Vegas has a much worse problem with ozone pollution than Eugene:

Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,414 times
Smile MY Questions were almost answered!

Hello,I was so glad to be able to read all of the posts on this page. it helped me to see what your fair city is like and the people there.I recieve a very good opnion of U all.no Matter what the opnion! we all have good and bad experience of where we have lived over a life time.and i have lived a lot of places.but right now iam interested in find out some more about your area. because we are thinking we might want to check it out. and possible live there. if there are some of you who are willing to help me find out what i would like to know. it would be most helpfull. please! my husband and I are seniors. 1 i want to know what is your winter weather like. could any of u supply me with the phone number for your social secutry office. i need to call them and find out information first hand. i say thanks in addvance if u can. We are going to have to look for a rental house. to rent if we move there . we will be looking for a two bedrom 2 bathroom single family home, not over 950 per month for rent less if possible.
I would really like to find one or two aleast, people there who would be willing to email me as we perpare for this move. i will have a lot of Questions and would like to talk to some of you who are willing to be helpfull to us . and i will respond back to this post. and watch it for answers too for help. if u have printed in formation that could be sent my p.o.box is 610, Ashton IDAHO. 83420. Martha is the first name.
WE are from Ashton Idaho. and right now it is very cold and snowy and being seniors we are house bound and are not functioning well in this weather we need to find a nice area with much warmer Weather. we thought about Oregon we have both live in Oregon be fore. and have liked it very much. we are under 4 feet of heave snow and it is still snowing all this week. so we chose to leave and find warmer country. if u are will to help with information please! reply .back. thank you very much. sorry for any grammer errors i to am not the best at typing and spelling.ready to here back soon thanks again.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
I lived in ewe gene my whoe life minus when I got the hell out. Lol it's a cool town with a lot to offer friendly people and great times. Crime ain't bad nothing to be scared of. Drugs are there.like any other town. If you don't do them you be fine. If you do hit a couple nice jails you will get to check out the insides of. Cops are cool as long as your not being a f tard. Welcome to Eugene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area