U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,053,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Ashland, believe it or not, has a meth problem. Seattle, believe it or not, has a meth problem. It doesn't have borders.

Eugene looks grungy, yes, because that's the character of the city. Look under the surface and you will not find day-to-day problems with meth.
A lot of the central Eugene area does look grungy. But, there are pockets here and there of all sorts of things - nice and not-so-nice - and I think that's common for all places. It seems like the outer areas of Eugene are cleaner and nicer than the inner areas of Eugene with exception of the west Eugene area. (When I refer to West Eugene I'm referring to the area west of Chambers and north of 11th or 18th...). North of the river is much much cleaner just based on outward appearances, and the further South you go away from the college campus area it gets cleaner as you go that way as well.

In general it seems like Oregon doesn't place much value, though, on how things look. Whether it's how they dress, their cars, their homes... things here are more about function and practicality than they are about looking a certain way. I think this is why so many outsiders come here and go "BLECH!" because the mindset here is just different. So often I'm invited to someone's house and on the outside it looks so awful... sketchy even... but once you get inside it's beautiful and just not what I expected at all from looking on the outside. Same with the way people look. I've met some amazing people here with Master's degree's and amazing histories and very affluent - but you'd never know it by looking at them, and they drive old beat-up Subaru's or something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,168 times
I completely agree with you haggardhouseelf.

I work in customer service where we are allowed all the time we need to get to know a customer and their wants and needs. And i have learned so much about changing my outlook. I am learning alot about people here. It is suprising how looks determine who we think of a person.

I've had the best, indepth, informed conversations customers with long dreadlocks, many facial piercings and covered in tattoes, and also at the same time spoken to someone in a suite and tie and conservative looks who is short sited, un-informed, and without an original thought. I've met barefoot women with scrungy clothes who take care of their children with fantastic gentle care, and women who appear to be well educated and well dressed treat their children worse then i would treat a stray cat.
It has impressed upon me the importance of not judging looks of anything before experiencing it myself. This goes for peope, homes, cities, nations, people groups, schools, and so much more!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM

37 posts, read 102,502 times
Oh man, the fact that there's all these people on here saying "Oh no! Eugene is such a dangerous crime-infested rathole!" is making me laugh. Yes, Eugene does have something of a meth problem. Yes, that results in us having higher property crime than the national average. However, our rates of violent crime are pretty low. Right now I live in Minneapolis, and at the beginning of the year, a couple teenage Somalians went and gunned down 3 of the owners of a local Halal grocery store not too far from me. Stuff like that never happens in Eugene. I don't even think we usually even have that many murders in an entire year.

Anyway, here are some pros and cons of Eugene (in my opinion):

Pros
- If you love doing outdoorsey, naturey activities, you'll love Eugene.
- Excellent for biking. Bike paths and trails are abundant.
- Pretty safe from violent crime.
- Plenty of rain (though this might be a con to some people)

Cons
- Dreadfully boring. Besides outdoor activities, there isn't much else to do here.
- Car thefts and car break-ins can be an issue
- Summers are way too hot (though some people may think otherwise)
- If you have allergies, hay fever will give you hell in the warmer months.
- Next to Springfield, which is mostly really trashy (and has worse property crime than Eugene)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM

857 posts, read 1,551,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeaela View Post
I've had the best, indepth, informed conversations customers with long dreadlocks, many facial piercings and covered in tattoes, and also at the same time spoken to someone in a suite and tie and conservative looks who is short sited, un-informed, and without an original thought. I've met barefoot women with scrungy clothes who take care of their children with fantastic gentle care, and women who appear to be well educated and well dressed treat their children worse then i would treat a stray cat.
It has impressed upon me the importance of not judging looks of anything before experiencing it myself. This goes for peope, homes, cities, nations, people groups, schools, and so much more!
I never said I had any issues with a Bohemian or hippie looks in Eugene as you imply. What most readers here have issues with are 1) high unemployment due to high impact fees on businesses 2) high meth 3) high property crimes

Boulder, for example, has low unemployment & doesn't have a meth problem, nor does it have a property crime issue. Nevertheless, many people along the front range in Colorado have a Bohemian look. So there is NO correlation between bohemian, hippie types -- and If readers seeking outdoor lifestyles and Bohemian outdoors granola lifestyles should take note that not every place is similar to Eugene, or, avoid the areas of Eugene that are less safe than others (that other posters have mentioned above).

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 PM

857 posts, read 1,551,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCobalt View Post
Right now I live in Minneapolis, and at the beginning of the year, a couple teenage Somalians went and gunned down 3 of the owners of a local Halal grocery store not too far from me. Stuff like that never happens in Eugene. I don't even think we usually even have that many murders in an entire year.
I agree w/ your pros and cons. Yes there is less violent crime and higher property crime. That's still unacceptable. Reduce excessive regulations and new impact fees for new high-tech businesses, revitalize the downtown, and turn Eugene into another Boulder on the Pacific Rim!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
My husband and I just moved to Eugene about 3 weeks ago, seeking an alternative to the flat, ugly, windy midwest. We had visited Eugene 2-3 time prior, sought out jobs (we are in healthcare, so the job situation for us is still okay), and moved.
Why we moved to Eugene: natural beauty, access to outdoors, 1 hr to mountains or coast, a "greener" lifestyle and attitudes.

What we have found: Eugene is WEIRD, okay. Many people are just plain odd, old or young un-bathed hippies, transients, homeless. And not too friendly. There is something to say about the midwest--and it's that people are for the most part, genuinely nice, and not nice on the surface as I have found here. I have gone running out and about, on trails and paths--people don't look at you and say hi or smile. People did in the midwest.

Drivers: if you're from east of the Mississippi at least (from my experience only) drivers here are HORRIBLE and don't even obey routine traffic laws. SECONDLY, the design of Eugene streets/neighborhoods is atrocious and I think whoever did was smoking weed. It's impossible to get anywhere here without hitting a 1 way road, the road ending, or turning the opposite direction. Did they do this intentionally to keep new people out?? Took me 25 minutes to go 5 miles yesterday.

Biking--well, unfortunately my husband and I are renting on top of a HILL (we would call it a mountain) and do not have climbing legs to get back home--let alone RUN home (can't do it yet)--so so much for nice biking---I'm sure once you get out in the country, yes, it's nice, but we have to climb 20% grade to get home.

Positives: beauty, access to fresh, organic foods (if you are lucky enough to afford it--we treat ourselves maybe once a week to GOOD food)

At three weeks, I am honestly asking myself what the hell are we doing here--and I do not know how long we can make it. AND IT'S NOT EVEN THE RAINY SEASON!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM

6,001 posts, read 7,481,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asock325 View Post
At three weeks, I am honestly asking myself what the hell are we doing here--and I do not know how long we can make it. AND IT'S NOT EVEN THE RAINY SEASON!
Hmmmm.... my experience living in Eugene does not match yours at all. Kind of hard to believe that you feel this unhappy about your decision after just 3 weeks. I also don't agree that people in Eugene are unfriendly. They're not going to tell you their life story right after meeting you, but they do talk to you.

You don't happen to live near or under a bridge on that mountain of yours, do you? I'm trying to imagine what part of town you live in. At least you are renting, so you can get out of Eugene as soon as you get new jobs. Just hold on to that thought. You will be miserable when the rain starts in a few months.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
I wanted to like it here!! I think maybe our situation is a little biased by a TON of things that went wrong, including my job I had lined up (a living nightmare). It seems that things are just not working for us in any way--something out there is watching us suffer and laugh. With that in mind-it may be making everything else seem bad as well.

This place is beautiful and I really will miss that aspect. This whole adventure has definitely taught us what we value in life, including family, which we really didn't get a total grasp of prior.

Things would likely be quite different had our work environments played out--the profession we are in does things quite differently here, making the transition that much more difficult.

We will be back to visit the coast and hike the mountains however

Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,308,936 times
Quote:
My husband and I just moved to Eugene about 3 weeks ago, seeking an alternative to the flat, ugly, windy midwest. We had visited Eugene 2-3 time prior, sought out jobs (we are in healthcare, so the job situation for us is still okay), and moved.
Why we moved to Eugene: natural beauty, access to outdoors, 1 hr to mountains or coast, a "greener" lifestyle and attitudes.

What we have found: Eugene is WEIRD, okay. Many people are just plain odd, old or young un-bathed hippies, transients, homeless. And not too friendly. There is something to say about the midwest--and it's that people are for the most part, genuinely nice, and not nice on the surface as I have found here. I have gone running out and about, on trails and paths--people don't look at you and say hi or smile. People did in the midwest.

Drivers: if you're from east of the Mississippi at least (from my experience only) drivers here are HORRIBLE and don't even obey routine traffic laws. SECONDLY, the design of Eugene streets/neighborhoods is atrocious and I think whoever did was smoking weed. It's impossible to get anywhere here without hitting a 1 way road, the road ending, or turning the opposite direction. Did they do this intentionally to keep new people out?? Took me 25 minutes to go 5 miles yesterday.

Biking--well, unfortunately my husband and I are renting on top of a HILL (we would call it a mountain) and do not have climbing legs to get back home--let alone RUN home (can't do it yet)--so so much for nice biking---I'm sure once you get out in the country, yes, it's nice, but we have to climb 20% grade to get home.

Positives: beauty, access to fresh, organic foods (if you are lucky enough to afford it--we treat ourselves maybe once a week to GOOD food)

Sounds like you're putting your value judgements from the Midwest on Eugene, which is not in the Midwest--it's on the West Coast. Eugene isn't that weird, and the people in general aren't that odd. Drivers east of the Mississippi? I've always heard that they're way worse than we are out here. Oregon statistically has the most knowledgeable drivers of any state. And the thing that I love most about Eugene is just how friendly EVERYONE seems to be. I don't think I've EVER been to Eugene and not had a stranger smile at me and say hi when out walking. That happens in Portland, but not as much, and it never really happened in my hometown (a much smaller town than Eugene) in Southern Oregon. So I'm not sure how you are missing all of these friendly people.

But I agree, the urban planning of the streets and highways in Eugene was done by a crazy person. Once you figure out what roads go where it's not so bad, and really it's not that complicated after a while.

But anyway, sorry things haven't worked out for you out here. Hope things work out wherever you are going to next and glad to hear you've learned from this and that you'll be back to visit!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM

230 posts, read 576,372 times
Quote:
I wanted to like it here!! I think maybe our situation is a little biased by a TON of things that went wrong, including my job I had lined up (a living nightmare). It seems that things are just not working for us in any way--something out there is watching us suffer and laugh. With that in mind-it may be making everything else seem bad as well.

This place is beautiful and I really will miss that aspect. This whole adventure has definitely taught us what we value in life, including family, which we really didn't get a total grasp of prior.

Things would likely be quite different had our work environments played out--the profession we are in does things quite differently here, making the transition that much more difficult.

We will be back to visit the coast and hike the mountains however
My Mom, who is a West Coast person like me, moved to the Midwest last year, because she thought it would be nice to be near her brother and family. She is moving back to the West Coast. One of the things that freaks her out in the Midwest, is the opposite of the thing that bothers you about Eugene. She said that no one locks their door in the town she lives in, and neighbors, delivery people, etc., just walk in your house unannounced. And if you lock your door, they get miffed... and ask you why you locked your door. And everyone kisses each other on the lips as a greeting, like friends and family. And people are "all up in your business" (as my mother so eloquently put it the other day.)

So I think it's what you're used to that makes you comfortable. I grew up and lived in Southern/Central California Coast most of my life. THe hard transition I've had to the Pacific Northwest is that people aren't as warm as I'm used to. They're very friendly up here.. very friendly, but further south it's more of a connection.

Sorry that this didn't work out for you. Three weeks is not really a good gauge of whether you'll really like a place. Often, after a big move like that and some unforeseen issues, it's easy to let the anxiety make your decisions. Once I moved with my husband to Portland, and within the first hour I was there, my father unexpectedly died (in Portland), and the house we rented turned out to be in the worst part of town. My anxiety-brain took over and I could not pack fast enough. I hated everything about the place, so we rented another truck and left. In the years later, when I visited Portland, I realized that it's a cool place, and my aversion to it said more about where I was emotionally.

Sounds like you have made up your mind, and heck.. there's nothing wrong with wanting to be near your family. I moved away from an area I thought I was done with, and realized it later I was wrong. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area