U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 PM

393 posts, read 1,797,632 times

Advertisements

Hi, I suffer from depression and was told OR, and WA was a place I should stay away from? What do u, the locals think? I know that the area is great for my favorite hobby which is bicycling so I am willing to overlook a little bit of nasty weather........but not all the time......LOL. Anyhow is this a fallacy? or what? I am also looking for rivers/parks/employment, and overall good quality of life......If there is another place in OR i should look into that doesn't get such extreme cloudy days, where would that be? And would the road biking/greenways/bike lanes be as prominent there? Thanks! K
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 03:27 AM

43 posts, read 329,689 times
Eugene's amazing summers off set the bad rainy season! You can use vitamins to help through things and enjoy the summer time and you shall be fine.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM

75 posts, read 438,106 times
You're right about Eugene being a good place for bicycling - I do road racing, mtn. biking and commute via bike and this is nirvana for it all - miles of bike paths and country roads have bike lanes, plus drivers are really courteous here. An hour east in Oakridge, 500 km of mtn. bike trails in the Cascade Mtn. foothills. As for the rainy season, it can be bad if you let the rain keep you inside but most people here have some winter outdoor outlet like running (this is Tracktown USA), my favorite, XC and telemark skiing (400 inches of snow annually in the mountains 2 hrs. away) or even cycling (with a rainsuit I commute almost year-round). The heaviest rains are in Nov. and Dec. when the days are shortest so that's the tough time but it starts to let up a little in Jan. with lighter rains and sun breaks - doesn't get socked-in overcast like the Midwest. And if you ski (I do about 60-70 days a year, season runs from Nov. to July) you can get above the rain. Fantastic skies here. Summers are dry and sunny, the lakes and rivers are clean for swimming and the environment is pristine compared to other places. The only real downside to Eugene is the economy. Tough to find professional jobs and low-end jobs filled by students (employers know they work cheap and part-time so they don't have to pay benefits). Not a real hot social scene unless you are college age but folks are pretty friendly and laid-back overall and there are festivals and concerts in the summer, a decent music scene (check out the McDonaldTheatre.com) plus a great minor league baseball stadium that's kind of a summer thing to do here. Popular farmers market downtwon on Saturday with locally grown produce right here in the Willamette Valley.

The ski resort town of Bend might be an option if you like sunny weather - it's in the rain shadow of the mountains and gets 300 days of sunshine a year but colder, longer and snowier winters (its elevation is 3,600 ft. compared to Eugene at around 500 ft.) Summers are dry, hot, dusty and super-sunny with occasional forest fires adding to smog created by vacationing RV crowd and diesel trucks roaring thru on Hwy. 97. Great mtn. biking around Bend but road cycling is limited and traffic is increasing. Bend is becoming overdeveloped and overpriced since it's been "discovered." Avg. price of a home is over $300,000 now and rising. Good jobs are scarce but plenty of housekeeping jobs or slinging lattes at coffeshops and eateries. Population of Bend has gone from 20K in the '90s to more than 75K now and shows no sign of slowing. It's becoming like Aspen or Vail. I lived in Bend for several years and it seemed to have no soul since its been taken over by the developers and greedheads but some people seem to like that - I'll admit there's more to do in terms of eating out and such but I liked it better before it went crazy. Now I prefer Eugene much more. In fact, I've lived all over the country and Eugene would be my favorite, if it weren't for the economy.

Portland's got the best economy and social scene (by far) and is a great urban biking town but kinda hard to get out in the country unless you live in the suburbs, which kinda defeats the purpose of living in Portland. Fantastic culture. People are nice and crazy.
Good luck in your search. If you need more info, just ask.

Last edited by buzzkirk; 06-01-2006 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 52,994 times
Buzzkirk,

What do you think of smaller towns like Hermiston, Pendleton, and La Grande? Is the weather similiar to Bend? Any pros and cons.
Thanks
Ashley

Old 06-02-2006, 01:13 PM

75 posts, read 438,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksovs_girl
Buzzkirk,

What do you think of smaller towns like Hermiston, Pendleton, and La Grande? Is the weather similiar to Bend? Any pros and cons.
Thanks
Ashley
Ashley,

Of the three I've only spent time in LaGrande when I've been skiing in the area but I've passed through Hermiston and Pendleton a few times. The latter two are in a flatter, drier and less green area than what one usually thinks of Oregon. In fact, it's pretty brown around Herm and Pend. They are big ranching/cowboy and dry-land farming communties (think irrigation, cow manure, alfalfa). Hermiston is not far from Umatilla where there's an Army storage depot of chemical weapons. Pendleton, the largest in population of the three, is famous for its cowboy culture and the Pendleton Roundup, a big rodeo festival thing. It does seem a fairly vibrant town, at least from what I've seen. The Umatilla Indian res is just east of town. All three towns are pretty conservative politically from what I can tell. LaGrande is the more scenic with the Blue Mtns. to the west and Wallowa Mtns to the east. The rugged Wallowas are gorgeous and remote with great backcountry skiing, hiking, etc. LaGrande has closer access to outdoor stuff than the other two. Eastern Oregon St. U. is also in LaGrande and adds some culture. LaGrande also has a nicer town center area than Herm or Pend in my opinion and just looks more liveable, so if I was going to live in one of the three it'd be LaGrande for sure. Climate-wise, all are similar to Bend but hotter in summer and drier, with less snow in winter, a little less rain than Bend and a lot of sunny days, although storms do move thru via the Columbia Basin in the rainy season. Nearby mountains get more snow and rain and are greener. LaGrande is buffered somewhat by the mountains on either side. All in all, it's a pretty remote part of the state/country so you have to like that sort of thing to live there IMO. Also in the area, and even smaller, is Joseph and Enterprise, near the Wallowas. Joseph has become an artist's refuge and both places are growing a little although you have to bring your own economy with you 'cause there's not much other than service jobs there. The NY Times just did an article on Joseph about people buying second homes there which may signal an influx of newcomers and rising real estate prices to the area:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/26/re...=1&oref=slogin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area