U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 232,013 times

Advertisements

I have applied to a graduate program at The University of Oregon in Eugene. It has one of the best programs in my field on the West Coast. I was wondering how different Oregon is from Washington. More specifically Eugene from Seattle. I am incredibly liberal/left-wing and very open minded. Many posts seem to indicate that in Oregon people are a little suspicious of new comers and very conservative. Is this true? I always imagined Oregon to be like Washington, am I wrong? Any help would be great thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 AM

23 posts, read 150,067 times
I lived in Eugene 4 years while I attended the U of O as an undergrad. It was a great place to attend college. Eugene is a very nice town with lots to do. Though there are a fair number of conservatives outside the university area, most residents are quite liberal, and the university community is very accepting of left-wing causes and ideology.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 AM

Thank you so much for the response. U of O sounds so great... if I get into the graduate program I will definately be going there!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 PM

17 posts, read 72,370 times
Hi I lived in Eugene from 1990-1994 when I was a grad student. It's a great town, but it's not as lively as Seattle. In fact, I moved from Eugene to Seattle for a second graduate degree (long story), and I was happier there, but that's probably because I really prefer big cities. Eugene is very left of center, and you will feel welcome there if you identify that way. The campus itself is beautiful, probably the most beautiful campus I have experienced, and student life offers a lot of diversity in terms of interests. Also you can't beat the geographic location if you like to hike/climb/ski. It's also warmer than Seattle, with lots more rhododendrons. The town itself is kind of sleepy, especially in summer.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban nomad View Post
Hi I lived in Eugene from 1990-1994 when I was a grad student. It's a great town, but it's not as lively as Seattle. In fact, I moved from Eugene to Seattle for a second graduate degree (long story), and I was happier there, but that's probably because I really prefer big cities. Eugene is very left of center, and you will feel welcome there if you identify that way. The campus itself is beautiful, probably the most beautiful campus I have experienced, and student life offers a lot of diversity in terms of interests. Also you can't beat the geographic location if you like to hike/climb/ski. It's also warmer than Seattle, with lots more rhododendrons. The town itself is kind of sleepy, especially in summer.
Thanks!!! That's good to know. Although I love Seattle because it is so lively, I am sure I will love Oregon too. I have heard that Oregonians are quite unwelcoming and closed off, but i hear that about Seattlites too, so I think I will be ok. Thanks again!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:51 PM

112 posts, read 678,824 times
Baboo, You'll be just fine in Eugene. I agree with earlier posts that Eugene isn't as lively as Seattle, but then again, it's much smaller. However, the town does go crazy when it's football season, and the U of O is a loved school in this state. Eugene is warmer than Seattle, much less traffic congestion, and it doesn't rain as much as it does in Seattle, but you're from Washington, so you're used to the Pacific Northwest weather. I have several friends that have attended the University of Oregon, and all have loved it. My sister is currently attending, and loves it. The school is not the first choice for technical or science careers, but has great liberal arts, English, Business, and pre law programs. I think you'll enjoy Eugene, you may miss the excitement of Seattle, 5 hours to the north by car, but Eugene does hold a certain charm to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area