U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,263 times

Advertisements

My family and I are living in the MW (MN) and we hate every single second that we live here. My husband is wanting to attend U of O Law school. What's the job market like? We're aiming to move in the summer of '09. My daughter will attend the St. Thomas Becket Academy in Veneta. My husband has read some stats that the U of O Law School prefers Oregon residents over out of state residents, can anyone verify this as true or false? Is it more stringent to get accepted than Willamette U.? What about cheap housing in the Veneta/Eugene area. We have two homes we will need to sell so that we can slum it in apartments until my husband is finished with Law School. I am so sick and tired of living in MN! It's miserable! My daughter was born in Portland, OR., and I hate hate hated the rain, but after living here in MN, I'll take rainy drizzle over 30 degree below temps any ol day. I guess it takes perspective to change your mind, eh? And I'm tired of all of the "Minnesota Nice" people. I just really really hate MN! Anyway any helpful advice would be appreciated, esp. regarding housing, and if you have opinions of St. Thomas Becket Academy would be great.

Hoping to see you all in '09!!!

~T.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:30 PM

16 posts, read 85,032 times
Living in Veneta verses Eugene would be quite a bit different. Veneta is more like a small town and country living. It's a few miles out of Eugene so your husband could drive to U of O. I don't know that there's a big price difference between the 2 of them. You could find apartments much easier in Eugene and that would be cheaper most of time.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 38,961 times
If you are just starting with college, Lane Community College is outstanding in most departments and considered to be one of the best community colleges in the nation. They have excellent transfer programs as well for both U of O and OSU.

The University of Oregon is extremely liberal and more interested in how their sports teams are performing than they are about most of the education standards and general welfare of their students.

However, their Business, Liberal and Language Arts, and Law departments are very good. U of O's Science and Math departments are pretty much on the back burner as far as the U of O administration is concerned. These departments are in buildings that should have been condemned 50 years ago with lab resources that leave a lot to be desired.

If you are looking for a degree in Science, U of O is a theory school and OSU is more of an Applied Science school. The instructors in both school are very good, but OSU has better resources and is much more concerned about student welfare.

Veneta is a much cleaner, more personable community, and about 30 to 45 minutes to the U of O depending upon the traffic and time of day. The rent prices in Veneta, Springfield, and other small towns are much lower than the rent prices in Eugene.

Veneta also has a much lower crime rate and significantly better response time of emergency services in the unfortunate situations when you may need them.

I would not move to Eugene. Most of the elected officials in Eugene, Oregon are very corrupt and heavily influence the Lane County Elections officials to keep people that don't fit their profile off of the election ballots (i. e. anything other than affluent white). The State of Oregon is investigating currently investigating election fraud in Eugene.

The current elected officials and the University of Oregon also are very anti-veteran, especially disabled veterans. The city of Eugene for the most part absolutely refuses to let any American Veteran, Arab American, African American organizations be included in parades and job fairs. The University of Oregon and most of the city of Eugene also does not recognize the national holiday, Veteran's Day.

In my humble opinion, I also believe that the police in Eugene are very corrupt too. Auto Theft, Buglaries, Drugs, and Gang activity is alarmingly higher than most big cities in the US. By the time anyone calls for the police, the need for them has usually long past if they even show up at all, an average of 5 to 11 hours for 911 calls is not uncommon. The City of Eugene does very little other than lip service to keep criminals in jail. It is not uncommon for people who are arrested to be let back out on the street for crimes like car theft 3 hours later only to get arrested for car theft again in the same day. The City of Eugene, Lane County, and senior State of Oregon officials are pushing to give themselves a 54% raise with no accountability, while they claim there isn't enough money for jail beds or to help senior citizens, the disabled, the homeless, and keep animal shelters open. Furthermore, the City of Eugene does everything but invite adult book stores and strip clubs on major city streets. In addition, most employers in Eugene will find reasons not to employ you if you are disabled. I know this first hand as a disabled veteran.

However, all is not lost in Eugene or Lane County, if you live outside the major city limits, the Lane County Sheriff's department is doing an outstanding job with the extremely limited resources it gets allocated to it. The K thru 12 educational system for the most part is very good in Eugene. Lane Community College is one of the best in the entire country too. However, the University of Oregon is more concerned about their sports teams than they are standards of education for their students. Also, the general population of Eugene is polite and unbiased. I would also stay far away from slum lords like Umbrella Properties.

The situation in Springfield is much better than that of Eugene, the City of Springfield is proactive and not corrupt in trying to stop crime and cleaning up run down areas of Springfield. Springfield is also trying to get rid of the adult book stores and strip clubs allowed within the city limits by previous administrations. Their worst area is car theft around Gateway Mall. I would put any valuables in your trunk site unseen if you happen to go there.

There are lots of churches throughout Eugene and Springfield for Christians like myself. But, most of Eugene and parts of Springfield is very liberal.

I am a disabled US Navy Veteran, Electronics Engineer, Computer Programmer, and have lived in the Eugene area for 8 years. I have attended both LCC and U of O, and stay in Eugene so that I can live close to my kids that live with my adulterous exwife.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,930 times
I just bought a house in Veneta--it is only 4 years old, over 2000 square ft, and under $200k. The city is small, but growing. It is a lot less expensive to purchase a home in Veneta rather than Eugene--which is to be expected because there is so much more to do in Eugene! For me, it was worth the long drive into town in order to have such a nice home with a larger yard, and much newer than anything I could afford in Eugene. It seems that the land in Eugene is pretty much "tapped out." I don't know how else to say it. In our price range, the homes were literally on top of each other. We looked at dozens of houses with our realtor. Any home in a neighborhood we would consider living in was either totally run down and disgusting, or had a view from your bedroom window right into your neighbors' window. Yuck! If you've got the money to live in the South Hills in Eugene, that's nice. However, I worked for a doctor who lived in the South Hills, and their home was burglarized on Christmas Eve There is definitely a lot of petty theft in Eugene, and a lot of break-ins--even in the nicer neighborhoods, because there are a lot of meth addicts and a lot of people living in poverty. However, you can kind of "ignore" those problems if you choose the right neighborhood in which to live.

For me, buying a house in Veneta was smart. The city is putting a bunch of $ into developing a downtown area. I see a lot of changes in Veneta's future, and it might be a great place to invest. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 AM

64 posts, read 165,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzonLightheart View Post
I would not move to Eugene. Most of the elected officials in Eugene, Oregon are very corrupt and heavily influence the Lane County Elections officials to keep people that don't fit their profile off of the election ballots (i. e. anything other than affluent white). The State of Oregon is investigating currently investigating election fraud in Eugene.
As someone who has worked in the Lane County Elections office multiple times, all of the people I have worked with have been honest, conciencous, and diligent workers. Where have you heard this about election fraud?

Quote:
The situation in Springfield is much better than that of Eugene, the City of Springfield is proactive and not corrupt in trying to stop crime and cleaning up run down areas of Springfield. Springfield is also trying to get rid of the adult book stores and strip clubs allowed within the city limits by previous administrations. Their worst area is car theft around Gateway Mall. I would put any valuables in your trunk site unseen if you happen to go there.

According to this website, Springfield generally has a higher crime rate than Eugene.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:01 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,799,960 times
This thread is so old. Years old. Wonder if the OP ever made it out of MN?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Does anyone want to comment what it is like to live in Veneta, Oregon in 2015?

Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 PM

329 posts, read 353,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie4664 View Post
Does anyone want to comment what it is like to live in Veneta, Oregon in 2015?
curious too ?

Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,181,223 times
I'm curious how that UO law degree worked out in today's legal market

Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 PM

11,054 posts, read 4,074,854 times
Some people might like Veneta. Living there would be like stepping back a century, into a small Southern town. They even have red dirt and pine trees. The little twin city of Elmira is next door, where the high school is located and football is the high point of the local culture. If you're a nature lover, it would be good. There's many elk and wild turkeys roaming around and the big reservoir alongside is a mecca for birds all year long. All sorts of boats, including sailboats, are numerous, during 7 1/2 months of the year, when it's full. If you want to go to the coast, you have a 15-mile jump-start on those in Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area