Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 22,666 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Eugene in January. (I can't wait!)
My fiance will be working at the Cycle Gear in Springfield (3137 Gateway St) And I will be working at the Hilton in Eugene (66 East 6th Ave)
What I was wondering is what would be a good place to live kinda in the middle of the two.
Obviously we want a nice and safe area (I know to stay away from the Gateway area...) I would love to be on the bus line, because I am tired of driving every where, and I would love to be in walking distance of shops or parks, or well, anything really. (I live in FL now, and everything is at least a 15 minute drive, I just want to be able to walk!)

Any ideas?
We are going up in November to check everything out, so we would like to know what area's to look at first. My Fiance lived in Eugene about 7 years ago, but his memory of the area isn't the best anymore (plus, I'm sure Eugene has changed since then!)

Any input would be nice, and we would also like to know area's of interest, things we must see, places that we have to eat at, and those sorts of things.

Thanks so much!
-Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
You can check out the LTD (Lane Transit District) website for routes. It's really easy to get around via bus or bicycle here.

Also, there are lots of rentals - houses, duplexes, and apartments - near and even in the downtown area which would be near the Hilton but I'm not sure what price range you were looking for. There is a website - apartmentrentals.com - that you can use to find apartments in the area by zip code. Use 97401 and see what comes up, then you can use google maps and the LTD bus route map and you'll be on your way to finding a good match for your situation. Also - you can google "Eugene rentals" and you'll find property management companies ("Bell" is one, i think...) and several that I have been to have online listings of available properties. If you contact them I would imagine that they would be able to help you find what you are looking for. Craigslist is also very useful tool for the home-hunting process.

November is usually rainy, cold, wet, grey... pack warm comfy clothes, sensible shoes (no high heels or cute sandals), and an outer waterproof shell/jacket. You see a lot of jeans and hoodie sweaters, and not just on the college kids. Californians use umbrella's.

As far as places to check out, things to do, places to eat... it kind of depends on what you like to do? If you like shopping, maybe check out the 5th street market or the Meridian or if you're more a regular mall person there's Valley River Center. Be sure to check out the Saturday Market but be prepared for crowds and activists. If you like books check out the downtown library or Tsunami Books or Smith Family Bookstore... if you like music and shows there are several venues for those things as well. Read the wikipedia entry on Eugene it might give you some ideas. There are also travel book's you can check out from the library that you can read about Eugene which will give you some ideas based on what you're interests are. For shoes... the best place I think is I think called Shoes Pavillion ? It's downtown across from a Tibetan shop.

There are two food places that I believe are really unique to Eugene: The Pizza Research Institute and Cafe Yumm! You kind of have to have an appreciation or at least an open mind towards "healthy food" to really appreciate those places, but honestly if you want to "taste" Eugene, go check those places out while you're here. Also the Keystone Cafe and Braille's is really good for breakfast. Keystone is more healthy and "Whole Foodsy" and Braille's is more old school/greasy-spoon type diner place.

Check out Red Barn natural grocery, and also Sundance for grocery shopping type food... the Kiva is right around from the library.

There are a few nightlife type places, clubs and bars and things, but my husband and I don't really get into that so someone else can tell you about that...

The Rhododendron Garden in the Hendrick's Park area is really beautiful for walking woodsy trails, and also the Riverbank path that runs along the Willamette river is really cool on bike especially but also on foot. Check out the Riverplay park area and then hike up the trail that take's you up to the top of Skinner's Butte (I think it's Skinner's, I always get the names of the butte's confused ) for a view of Eugene. There are trails from the butte's that will take you all around. Eugene is a fun place to stroll around and find cool hidden spots and even more trails if you have the time.

There are art museums and shows come through town and really for a town it's size, Eugene has a lot to offer. In my experience, though, they don't really broadcast things loudly so if you're into something you kinda have to go seek it out. Once you find it, you're continually amazed at what you find.

Oh if you like films check out what's playing at the Bijou.

Check out traveloregon.com to see if there's anything cool going on...

If you have time - take hwy 126 west through the wooded coastal range to the coast to Florence. Check out the dunes. Go north a bit and check out Strawberry Hill. See if you can find sea creatures lurking about in tidepools. Especially if there's been a storm. After storms are the best times to go to the coast. At any given time, though, nothing compares to the Oregon Coast. I think especially coming from a place like Florida, your head will just split wide open. And I mean that in a good way.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 09-26-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 22,666 times

Thanks so much for all of that!
I have been to Oregon a couple of times (My fiance's family all live up there) and I LOVE it. It was actually my idea to move there. I fell in love with Portland, and would love to live there, but it is a little out of our price range. Plus, his mom lives in Roseburg so we want to be close to her (But not that close, lol!) And, my fiance lived in Eugene, and thats where his heart is. We have never spent a lot of time in Eugene when we visit, because we always went to the coast or Portland or his moms. So I don't have the best idea of what Eugene is like. I am very excited to move to a place with some interesting people, things, and well, land that isn't all flat or always hot! (It's 90 degress here right now, so over that!) The rain doesn't bother me, it rains here a lot more than people would think, plus we have hurricanes, hah. And I promise I will never use an umbrella (I know from the fiance that it's not "allowed")
We aren't really into the whole night life scene, so I'm happy to here that they have music and museums instead. (Here, there's only bars and strip clubs, which aren't really our style!)

But anyway, I got off topic! Thanks so much for all your help

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
If you like music - Eugene will be wonderful for you guys! We have the fairieworlds festival (music, not just fairies lol) and the Oregon Bach Festival, live music every weekend at the Sat Market, the Eugene Symphony which iften has free concerts here and there, and the Secret House Vineyard where bigger more well-known acts play when they come through town... and lots more going on. There's lots of music in Eugene but like I said before it's kinda just out there for you to seek out for yourself. We often stumble upon free concerts going on while out on bike rides! Summer is the best time here for all of that... it's amazing. Oh and of course - the Oregon Country Fair! Along the coast there are several music festivals which happen throughout the Summer as well. Oregon is a wonderful place for music-lovers. I had put down my instrument for years and years, and Oregon inspired me to pick it up again. You can't really live here for any decent amount of time and not eventually want to indulge you're inner kiddo... whether that be playing in the mud, making noise, dancing like a happy crazy person, or climbing trees... or whatever else floats your boat. I feel like for those who listen to their hearts, Oregon keeps you young.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,379 times
My husband and I moved up to Portland for his new air traffic control career back in April. We were really hoping to be placed in Eugene but we're pretty happy in Portland. We just received word last week that they're transfering him down to Eugene and we're so excited!!! We're coming down to check everything out tomorrow and look at some rentals. You gave some great ideas of places to check out so thanks for some direction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area